Life without Television

TVThere have been a few points in my life when I have attempted to live without television. In general, these have been the best times of my life. I often wonder what life was like for people before the invention of "the tube". If I lived alone, I would never own a TV. The only show I ever truly enjoy is Oprah. She is going off the air. Perhaps she already has.Here are the times I lived without TV:1. First year university (I lived in a dorm with 6 girls and none of us wanted a TV. We were the only dorm without one and students always came by for great conversations and beverages. We often played cards or Risk.)2. Final year university (My roommate and I used to watch TV when we did our laundry. We both had no use for TV at home. There was too much work to do. Spare time was for dancing. )3. When I lived alone for 6 months in a bachelor pad in Vancouver I was TVless. My living room was my kitchen and bedroom and office. Choosing to have no TV was the best part of living alone.4. We have a TV, but we are testing what it will be like to have a summer without using it. My children can still watch movies, but so far they haven't missed the programming. My husband misses his sports and news, but the Internet is very useful. I'm thankful for the World Cup updates from all of you!I wonder if we'll ever hook up TV service again. Life without TV is so much richer.Have you tried living without a TV? Share your experience!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can we think of some other alternatives for "company"? TV is great if it entertains you and informs you, but surely we shouldn't be using TV to keep us company. Any ideas?
  • In fact .. the life without T.V it's very Different .. simply becouse all things Around us and last news world are view in it . so we can't life witout it

Thanks .. ^_^
  • I know that TV should be parted to see. But sometimes I see everything and feel myself even depressing. Most of all I hate to see advertising, it is annoying me really. I know that TV should be parted to see. But can't help myself...Every time I do something at home I automatically switch on the TV, I need that noise. May be it's like a company for me or may be I'm afraid of silence. Or may be I'm a TV addict(
  • Tara Benwell said:
    Hey M. Great points. I like this idea for a group. Human experiences are so interesting and so helpful. Meanwhile, I will always be a writing teacher and I have to challenge you even in this group. :) Can you improve this sentence?

"I agreed with you that the internet determined what do you want to know ,what do you want to see in easy way and can't spare time ."

I agree with you, that the internet determines what you want to refer, effectively within seconds.
    nadira
  • Oh, good question for this discussion...How many TVs do you have in your house? And, how many computers.
  • I have 2 TVs - one in bedroom, the other in living room - although I spend most of my spare time surfing the Internet on my computer. I sometimes watch news, sports events such as the World Cup, or English movies on TV.

Yes, TV seams no longer the necessity.
  • Hey M. Great points. I like this idea for a group. Human experiences are so interesting and so helpful. Meanwhile, I will always be a writing teacher and I have to challenge you even in this group. :) Can you improve this sentence?

"I agreed with you that the internet determined what do you want to know ,what do you want to see in easy way and can't spare time ."
  • yes tara I agree , this is good idea to listen some radio station in english but in my TV no english channel just local dream channels :)and in net i use youtube to listen english music with lyrics it very very good way for learn english and have fun , but as we said Tv IS NOT WORTH ANYMORE AS COMPuter without internet what can we do with it?? everything we want know or see is in net
  • actually i'm TVless. I just watch TV for a few mins to watch news if there is something important. I just read the News Ticker without sound. and from time to time I watch interseting movie but it is rare. But I like to watch some Indian Movie but I never watch them on TV. I download what movie I want to see and then I watch it on my computer. So TV doesn't worth anything to me because I can live without it. BUT internet ,,,, OH NOWAY

and I like to listening mucis while I'm doing my activety. even when I'm surffing the internet. I just put headset and listening to music and sometimes I dance just to have fun.

thank you Mrs. Tara for sharing this topic
    Skoon
  • If you live alone and are using TV as a companion while you are studying or online, why not try using music instead. Perhaps an English radio station, or a classical station (if you need to relax). You could also get one of those videos/DVDs that is just a burning fire (some have music). (This is a bit of a waste of energy, though.) Sometimes there are TV channels that just play music and beautiful slides. I like those channels for background.
This reply was deleted.