Hello. It is said that grammar is the heart of a language but, I wonder, why the members of this site seem don't like grammar. I notice that they are really eager to give comments when the discussion topics are about social phenomena but it doesn't happen when the topics are about grammar. No one likes to give comment. Even if they do, it's not more than one person or two persons. I even decided to delete my grammar discussion after a long time I hadn't got any comment there. So, please give me your opinion and reason, guys, why you are doing this. Don't you care about the expression I stated in the beginning? Thanks.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Chandra

I totally agreed with Brian Mcwell about the role of grammar in learning a language. Grammar is important but it's not the main key which has helped me improve my English. I was taught only about English grammar in school and my other English skills were nearly zero. Therefore, when I first came to US, I had a problem in commuting with other people. I always tried to translate my sentences into correct  English grammar in my mind first before I spoke out. Later, I realized that focusing too much on grammar would delay my response to catch what people talk and answer them. Thus, I just neglected my grammar and used broken words to communicate with them. As the time my listening skill has improved, I am able to apply what I heard from native speakers into my speaking skills. I'm still learning English by this way. However, I got to admit that we also need to learn grammar if we want our English become perfect.

• Thank you, sp2007. Yes, I start to agree that grammar is not the key in English learning. But I don't agree if it's left aside at all. It's still important if we want to make our English perfect, just as you said. :D Thanks again for your clear and very useful sharing.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you, Jack. But if we leave studying grammar at all, don't know the rules, then how can we make a correct sentence? There will be misunderstanding in the communication. For example, if people want to talk about past events but they use present tense, we know how the communication will be like.

Regards,
      Chandra

• You're welcome, Camilla. :D

• Hi chanda,

I am a new member of this site. I agree that grammar is the heart of a language. Now, I am trying to learn English with four skills to pass some exams in future. I am very happy to discuss with you this topic.

• Thank you, hai37. I'm glad to hear that you have same interest with me.

• Yes, I see it, Brian. Thank you very much for your opinion. You're right, everyone has their own preference in learning language. The point is, someone should learn it in the way where they like.

• HI!

My dear Chandra,  grammar is the heart of a language but some people thinks other wise; so  please don't let that bother you. Some students like to learn grammar and enjoy practicing very much, therefore, I don't think it's fare for you to fill dissapointed and delete your discussion; instead, write more and persuade students from all over the world to learn.

There are many students who cares... Learning is the key to success and the world knows that, so please, lets encourage them to continue...  I enjoyed grammar very much and I am also a student....

Thank you-Erica

• Thank you for your comment, Erica. You're right, but sometimes I have something to ask and, of course, I need an aswer. So when I have no answer, I become a bit upset. :D

• Dear, Raghavendra. Glad to know that you want to improve your grammar. You can learn it in almost every English learning website. I like to ask things that I still don't understand but, unfortunately, it doesn't work here. About spoken, I'm trying to improve it by learning a lot, mostly on youtube and sometimes practicing on another site. Find your own way where you feel comfortable because, as you can see in a video on my page, we should practice and learn language in the way we like. You can check that video. :) Well, good luck!

This reply was deleted.