What makes you happy?

Were you happy before?

Have you ever had a happy moment before?

Have you been happy?

Are you happy now? 

Are you happy with your life?

Are you happy with your school (College/University)?

Are you happy with your work?

Are you happy with your family?

Are you happy with your girl friend/boy friend?

Are you happy with what you've been through?

Are you happy with your appearance (what you look like)?

Are you happy with your EC friends in learning English together?

Are you happy with your achievements?

If you have a spare time now, let's try & think what makes us happy. Perhaps we should firstly think of what has really made you happy before, or the happy moment you have ever had before. 

If you find it too difficult, then please give us at least your answer from the below simple question;

Would You Say That You Are Truly Happy In Your Life?

A.Yes, overall, I am truly happy.
B.Somewhat; I'm not as happy as I'd like to be, but I'm happy enough.
C.

No, I'm not nearly as happy as I'd like to be.

What is the actual meaning of 'a happiness'?  This may help us for our future happiness we are going to have; it says 'a mental state of well-being characterized by positive emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy'. Philosophers and religious thinkers often define happiness in terms of living a good life, or flourishing, rather than simply as an emotion.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To share with you, my friends, here in MyEC; what really made me happy on Wednesday. I played golf with my son for the monthly club competition, we had a final result yesterday. and unfortunately I didn't play well on that day (29th position), but my son (only 16 years old) had a 2nd place which has made me so proud of him. I just let him enjoy in playing golf as he is still so young and wants to be a pro-golfer, and I don't want to pressurize him but just let him be out there on the field enjoying his swings, meeting some friends (all different ages).
  • True happiness is inside and what makes me happy is when I see all people happy.
    • Hi, Surawan!

Actually a happiness is unstable in a certain degree, although we would like to keep it eternally, but unfortunately, this happiness is coming & going. However, once you have had a certain happy moment, this will remain in your memory forever. Hence, let's hope to have more happinesses in life, as much as possible. Thanks for your reply, anyway!

• Hi, Nafis!

Thanks for your reply!

So your happiness depends on others. You will be happy as long as they are happy. Hence, if I am happy now, you will be happy too..... Hmmm, then I say, 'I am happy' Are you happy? Hahaha!!!

•  

yes, imagine you are happy but your friend even doesn't have anything to eat, will you be happy? I mean truly happy. You may laugh but this laughter is not deep. Yes, when I see you are happy and have a good life, I'll feel good and be happy.

• So you want me to cry because out there someone is starving..... or you are the one who actually doesn't have anything to eat (according to your reply, it impresses me thus).... if so, how you could afford to use this internet, and I've honestly seen your writings giving such smiling & laughing together. I believe this forum is designed for all of us to have a friendly communication together. If it's funny we will laugh together, or if it's sad, then we shall feel sadness together. Hence I just freely & spontaneously express myself in anything what I have in mind.  

Besides the truth in reality, according to what you described, I shouldn't be allowed to be happy or laughing or smiling, although I have a privilege to be happy if I see or experience some happiness in my life. Yes, of course, I am neither smiling nor laughing at those people who are staving, if I am now standing in front of them, or whenever I am thinking of them, but I always feel sorry for them. I don't believe in Lottery, but if I ever had an opportunity in having such unexpected moneys, I certainly give all to the poor without any hesitation, because I believe that I didn't earn that money and it wouldn't belong to me. Don't get me wrong, you may think I am rich because I play golf. Perhaps it can be very luxury for others, but not in UK (of course, still in certain places, yes it is), because there are so many golf courses (thousands) while other countries have a couple of hundreds or much less, so naturally so expensive. Here in UK, playing golf is like going to fitness or gym, not only for their health but also for their social too. 

However, I think you've over reacted. While my friend posted 'what makes you sad', I just wanted to know what others feel with the subject 'what makes you happy', that's all, as I wasn't talking about a sadness here but only a happiness in truth. 

• Dear James,

I didn't want to make you sad by my answer. I just wanted to explain what I think or feel. This is what I think or feel. So, I told you. I also didn't judge your opinion or life because I don't know you at all and I don't even know that you play golf. I also don't want you to cry for poor people. I only shared what I felt. For me, happiness comes when I see others happy.

• Hi, Nafis!

Thanks for coming back and explaining your thoughts, anyway! I really & honestly appreciate that. It's as there is not comparison between them (sadness & happiness).

Within a friendship in principle I believe, if I feel happy, then happy feeling together, but if I feel sad, then I shall have a same sad feeling together with each other, as this is what friends supposed to be like.... Hence, I utterly agree with you, how could you be happy only for yourself if your friend hasn't got anything to eat at this very present moment?

• Dear James,

I also agree with what you said. I mean if someone is sad, it doesn't mean that I should be sad and couldn't enjoy my life. You know Sadness and Happiness are only two states of mind and therefore, they don't matter at all. In real life, in the heart of every event, there is neither happiness nor sadness. This is our mind that interpretes such situations as happy or sad. What I believe is that our true nature is pure happiness and universe only absorbs positive things. This is how it works. For example, I don't like sad poems. I intend to read positive and uplifting ones. That's why you see me laugh all the time. The reason is this is the way I calm myself down. I don't want to be sad all the time and have pitty for others. Instead, I try to be more positive and "Do" something about it in order to make all people happy. That's why I am always careful in what tone I write my blogs. I don't like to write a sad frown blog. Emotions are contageous and it's better we give our positive things to others.

Finally, I hope I didn't make you sad by my answer. I used (you). But, I didn't address you at all. (You) refer to all people not (you) particularly.

Thanks for listening. Have a nice happy weekend! hahahaha

• Dear Nafis,

At the end, after your clear descriptive explanation, you didn't make me sad at all but I surprisingly felt having a kind of more pleasant conversation with you, so I am truly thankful to you.

Have a good & fabulous weekend!

With a big smile.... hahaha!!!

This reply was deleted.