What is the secret behind the good smell after it rains? What makes rain smell so good? when we were children we used to play outside during and after the rain. We noticed that the soil gives a good smelling scent. It is a very pleasant nice aroma. The whole world is happy and optimistic when it rains. Is there any scientific background about it? Superstition may play a role here. I heard that our ancestors used to expect a profitable season after it rains.   

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jee White Knight! Main tum ku itifaq hain. The rain is a blessing from Allah, The Almighty. It is true that the atmosphere will be very pleasant after the rain and the smell hangs for a long time. Thanks, White Knight for your nice comment.

• I personally don't like the smell that comes after it rains. However, as you've mentioned, it could probably be related to the fact that many people as children would go out to play after it rains, therefore I believe that the smell would always be linked to joy for them, which could be relaxing, considering that our brains work in a magnificent way, as it's been proved that smell could provoke memories better than anything else since it's got a remarkable effect on the brain.

• I love the smell after the rain too , the scent coming from the Soil is amazing and the atmosphere after the rain which beautifies the surroundings even more , it seems to be one of the remarkable aspects of the nature , The Rain Indeed is a blessing from Allah.

• Yo estoy feliz! I am very happy, Nan. Thanks for pressing the like button.

• I have been looking for that term "aftermath" to use in my preface. I could not remember it at all. The rain reminds us of the cleansing of our dirty and bad deeds. The rain, a gift that includes many meanings as you have stated in your simple and wise comment. As usual, you are an exception mod. Paula. Don't forget to extend my regards to your lucky husband and the rest of your family. Thanks again.

• Rain is a life source.....it brings the water that is so needed for things to be.  To me....the wonderful smell of rain and it's aftermath is a renewing......and the smell might be a sign to remind us of it's cleansing, plus also a reminder to be thankful.....the balance of this world's nature has been disrupted by the things that man does.  So let us enjoy this rain as we know it and I do so hope it never leaves us.  We need it's reminders as well as it's life giving gift.

• Bahut shukriya Usrariasat! Thanks for pressing the like button.

• kembali! Saya juga tidak tahu. Thanks to Mr. Ahmed2015.he explained the scientific way for that smell that comes after the rain. If you have time, see it. He said that the smell is coming from an organic compound which is called geosmin. It goes up from the soil once the rain hits the ground and the wind takes it up and thus we smell the pleasant aroma. Of course, it is a blessing from God. We pray and pray so that it rains. Thanks, Siti for your nice comment.    

• firstly Thanks Mr. Dara for inviting me to have discussion here
    rain is a blessing from God, if we pray while raining, our prayers will be answered by God. do you believe it?
    to be frankly i dont know the secret behind the good smell of after raining but I do like the smell after it, and when I was a kid i liked to play outside while raining.

• Main pahili deka, acha blog, Mishaikh sahib. It is not me who motivated you, but it is your wide and rich imagination. It is true that the rain is the kind of love for us. The mother earth is always kind and ready to give us crops of different kinds. Thanks, Mishaikh for that comment. 

This reply was deleted.