What is the secret behind the good smell after it rains? What makes rain smell so good? when we were children we used to play outside during and after the rain. We noticed that the soil gives a good smelling scent. It is a very pleasant nice aroma. The whole world is happy and optimistic when it rains. Is there any scientific background about it? Superstition may play a role here. I heard that our ancestors used to expect a profitable season after it rains.   

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ma leih, Alhudaidah hara ya Rafik. I like Yemen very much and especially Alhudaidah. But it is very hot these days. The rain is rare there not like other provinces like yours.  It is true that the people of the city do not like rain. People who live in the villages like it.  Thanks, Rafik for this nice contribution. 

• In my country mostly people don't like rain , because soil becomes into mud and it's really difficult to move around without getting your pants dirty.
    And in dirty cities after rain kind of stinks like a rotten egg.
    I've read many good comments about rain, and have thought act as a villain and list negative sides. :(
    I'm living in a small village and rain is allweys welcome here. :)

• Jee! Tumara matlab baadh. Exactly Ranjit Singh Thind. We had that kind of rain in the eighties. Many areas were destroyed. I mean houses and not cultivated lands. It was a disaster for us at that time. We are also an agricultural country. Nevertheless, the smell after the rain is as enjoyable as you mentioned. Thanks, Ran for the add and for the nice comment.

• I think the main secret is soil. When it rains the soil is wet and emit some good fragrance,which our nose smells like a good scent. And approximately we all like this smell and enjoy the raining season. In my village there is a season of rains and we all are enjoying it. But one day there was a very heavy rain, which destroy many acres of newly planted rice and also water was entered into people houses. 

• I think the main secret is soil. When it rains the soil is wet and emit some good fragrance,which our nose smells like a good scent. And approximately we all like this smell and enjoy the raining season. In my village there is a season of rains and we all are enjoying it. But one there was a very heavy rain, which destroy many acres of newly planted rice and also water was entered into people houses. 

• Daba ana gadi asali Alaasur. This is the main target. You are the only one of us who used that word "mood"  The changing of the mood is the most exciting event after the rain. Thanks, Ameur for your nice comment.

• Even the mood changes after it rains,yes it is a secret!!   ;)

• Valo achin Bet! Of course, you are an agricultural country and besides the weak economy, you have the problem of the Rohingya refugees. too much rain causes the flood and this is a problem. May Allah bless your country. The smell after the rain gives you hope to look for the coming days with delights. Thanks, Bet for your nice comment. 

• In every part of the world sufficient  rain/raining is a desired thing. All living things need rain/water. In my country we have dry season, rainy season both. So, we know how does it feel if during hot season it does not rain! On the contrary we also know if it rains more than it causes flood!

We also think, rain is a blessing from the Almighty. I always like the fresh look of the nature after raining. I love the scent of the soil after first rain that comes after a bit long break!

• Wa lakin alash? Ana kanabgeeha. I am wondering. Many people or a majority of them approved of that smell. Maybe, you dislike it because it coincided with something unpleasant for you. Of course, we have to respect your attitude, however, it does not make sense. Thanks, Djamel for your comment

This reply was deleted.