What is the secret behind the good smell after it rains? What makes rain smell so good? when we were children we used to play outside during and after the rain. We noticed that the soil gives a good smelling scent. It is a very pleasant nice aroma. The whole world is happy and optimistic when it rains. Is there any scientific background about it? Superstition may play a role here. I heard that our ancestors used to expect a profitable season after it rains.   

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The rain usually brings me back fond memories from my early childhood. At that time we used to have contrasted seasons, the magic of the snow in winter and a festival of colors falling off the trees in falls. I guess that the rain is a synonym of source of life in many cultures. It guarantees the renewal of natural cycles, the survival of crops and yields coming to our pantries. But, like you said, Dara, this is a matter of beauty as well: it´s relaxing music and it´s marvellous scent getting out from every inch of the Earth. I do not know very much about science, but I think that the first thing that astronomers look for when they are seeking for life out there is water. The ancient Maya tradition worshipped a God called Chaak, who was supposed to prompt the rain by hitting the clouds with a stone axe. Either way, wheter we worship ancient deities or observing celestial bodies, we´re acknowledging one of the best blessings we have. Thanks for writing it, I´m glad you feel the same way so far away from my homeland. We inhabit the same planet after all.

• That is because rain makes clean air. Rain washes dust floating in the air down. I like clean air.

•    Notoriously , we all like the smell of earth after taking its heavenly bath because you and me are comming from the dry lands of the middle east . Rain is special in our arabic and Islamic heritage . It's Allah mercy and bless
    These droplets are newly created in heaven with all the love and mercy .
    I still remember when I was a collage student , I used to hear men shouting with the rain start " ya Allah the most generous " I liked hearing them .
    I also belong to an agricultural culture , here rain symbolizes lots of things .
    It stands as a symbol for the coming back or return of those people who are gone , they will be back like rain one day . Rain stands for welfare and a good harvest , if it rained in a wedding day the bride is considered to be a green bride , which means a blessed bride for the whole village .
    It's the rains season in my city now . We are having rains almost every day in the southern mountains , and I have just saw a man asking the people of my region to shut off their snap chat videoes because the rest of the country is boiling of summer heat . He said that we were annoying :)
    After rain I feel compelled to open the widow and take a look to the earth washed face and inhale the fragrance of rain . There is still hope , there is life and there is all the blessings and mercy and it's my time to pray .
    Thanks for posting this nice topic Mr dara gino :) 

2644159434?profile=original

This reply was deleted.