I'm just wondering, are we here to live and to die? 

The dictionary defines life as the physical existence of humans and other living organisms. Is that so? the absence of physical/material aspect, tantamount to say that it's not life at all, isn't it?

Are we living this life worthwhile? 

I could agree how the dictionary tries to define life, but that's not the whole truth about life. I believe that aside from the physical side of it, there is also the spiritual side that we can't ignore all the time. Even though we wanted to avoid the issue and believe that after this existence, there's no life after this life.

Are we living our life with a purpose or just consuming it the way we wanted regardless how lavish, how useless, how shameful, how evil we are trying to be, and the saying live your life to the fullest means what in particular? Does it mean that there is no order to follow? 

Guys, with all sincerity, I want to hear your counsel regarding this matter, not to offend anyone, your views will be highly regarded. All opinions are important to me, whether it affirms or disproves my own assessment.

Thank you!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sir Dan, I really hope that I never made such impression to anyone, please, I'm not a well-versed as you are, I need ample time to think what will I say next, what to ask after to all participants. I'm trying to be more careful this time because this topic is important to me, and aside from that I'm trying to build a neutral tone,though I already wrote part of my views when I started this discussion. This is a delicate matter for me. 

I hope you shall find this in order. Sorry for the feeling of uncomfortableness. 

btw Sir, why I felt like you are trying to imply that if it's about atheism like I'm gonna grab my blanket and cover myself or like "let me get my headphones, so I can't hear you"... :D :D... No, no, no...as a matter of fact, I want to know about that belief, why people tends to side that way.

Thanks!

Danny Clark said:

Unfortunately, I see, you don't reply all comments. 

What is the true meaning of life?
    I'm just wondering, are we here to live and to die?  The dictionary defines life as the physical existence of humans and other living organisms. Is t…
  • Hello, Magdy!! Sincere thanks to you for participating in my discussion. First thing, I hope what you mean by "wealthy" is not confine to material wealth, because not every one of us is experiencing such. That's reality.

Second, let me ask you, if and only if we don't know who we are, who created us, why we were created and what is our destination, does that mean that a beautiful life isn't happening?

Third, your last lines is almost a favorite for me as you have mentioned prejudices. I really hope there will come a time that human race will not look on our differences, but to our common ground instead.

Magdy said:

I think we had been created to have healthy, wealthy, peacefully and happy life for ourselves, families, colleagues, society and all people all over the world.

Moreover, in order to achieve such a beautiful life; we need to know who we are, who created us, why he created us and what our destination.

We need sincerely, impartially and open-mindedly using our intellectual ability to answer these questions correctly without any prejudice.
    I'm just wondering, are we here to live and to die?  The dictionary defines life as the physical existence of humans and other living organisms. Is t…
  • Hello there Frank! You've been very helpful answering my quest line by line. As much as possible I'm trying to be neutral when replying every comment and try to elaborate the topic. Let me just say that if I think there is a definition for everything,it's a matter of time when we are going to realize that. With or without us humans, there is still life on earth, and the essence of that creature will be known sooner or later, given different circumstances.

Thanks,Frank!!! You've got a valuable opinion. :) :) :)

Fr@nk said:

You ask, "What is the true meaning of life?" - Life has no meaning; WE have meaning. WE are the answer to your question.

You say, “I'm just wondering, are we here to live and to die? “ – YES, and we have one life to live.

You say, “Are we living this life worthwhile?” – It depends to each of us, and how we define "worthwhile".

Someone in their comment refered to "after life". - It may exist, no one knows for sure. If someone believes in it, they're following the faith that they are practising; there is no certainty in its existence - no one can prove it.

I liked your topic and the way you proposed it. You seem to be an enlightened woman.

• I will reply all comments soon. Thanks!
  • i don't who r u.. and even don't know which religion u belong too.. what i m writing here.. please think about that.....  this is so simple.... why we r here.... not for to die... life in this world is very short.. but it very very important... just imagine im an engineer and when i design something so i m the only one who know the best why of use that thing... now come to the point.. who create us.? for what.? who know.? no one... only the creater ALLAH know that... and he tell that there is another life after this life... which totally depend on this life... if i follow the command of ALLAH i will get success other wise no... so this life is very very very important... 

• Dear Luci, Rose, Frank, Sandeep! I am really happy to know you are lead by common sense! Thanks for your comments!

• Risty, dear! I hope you don't mind my other comment here as I return to your discussion time and again reading all comments and your replies. You have started an interesting discussion as we all ask this question sooner or later. You are young and it is quite natural for you to look for the answer.

Thanks to this discussion I have met a few people who share my ideas and was able to experess my mind. Unfortunately, I see, you don't reply all comments. It is your business for sure, but you are avoiding atheistic comments. I can't say it makes us feel uncomfortable as we are very strong in our opinions, but any discussion is to DISCUSS something. If there are different opinions, any discussion becomes more interesting and useful, especially in EC where people try to master their English. Debating is one of the best ways to reach the goal as we have to defend our poins of view.

• Hi Risty, it´s not an easy issue, I´ll try to answer your questions:

1. do you think that a person who is religious is living unscientifically? Not necessarily, for example most of religious people vaccinate their childrens; vaccine efficacy is highly proved and have been the most effective means to eradicate infectious diseases.

Vaccines are produced according to the "steps of the Scientifc method" (observation, hypothesis, testing, conclusion). In this case religious people is living scientifically; but when they try to explain God´s existence, they don´t have any evidence (just remember comments here), in this case they´re living unscientifically of course.

2.That science belongs only to those who doesn't believe God? I don´t konw;I had a vasectomy two months ago, and before this my doctor explained me the surgerie, risks and side effects. I am fine, because my doctor did the right procedure (a procedure according to the scientific method). Now, does my doctor believe in God?? Trust me, I don´t know and I don´t care, I only asked him about his experience and knowledge. When you go to the doctor, do you ask him/her about his/her religious beliefs or about his medical knowledges??

3. Is science an opposite pole of religion? No. Both are different things, that´s all. Just because an orange is not an apple, it means orange is an opposite pole of apple.

Have a nice day my friend, take care.

Risty Aven said:

Hello Mr. Gerardo, first of all I would like to say thank you, your decision to write here is highly commended.

But there is one striking to me as you quoted,and I came up to a question you, do you think that a person who is religious is living unscientifically? That science belongs only to those who doesn't believe God? Lastly, that science is an opposite pole of religion?

I hope you won't mind me asking and please correct me if I misunderstood you context.
    Thank you!

Gerardo Gordillo Muñoz said:

Hello Risty, about the meaning of life, you´ll have to find it, there is no other way. I´ve read all comments in this blog, and I agree with Mary and Luci again. To me, life is about learning, loving my family, playing basketball, working hard... 

Another advice: religion answers religious questions, science answers sciences questions; and I think the meaning of life is not a religious question. 

Have a nice day my friend and good luck with your search...

"He who possesses art and science has religion; he who does not posses them, needs religion"

• Hello Sandeep,thanks for participating here!
    Further question,what kind of learning is that? Is that our bachelor's degree? Because not all people have a privilege in life to have it,does that mean they can't pass anything to ttheir next generations? And you included plants and animals, they exist to learn as well?

Hope you see this reply,very sorry I'm so late for this.
    Thank you!

Sandeep said:

The true purpose of life is to learn and pass that knowledge to next generation. That is what every living thing do, human, animal or tree. Knowing or unknowing, everyone has to serve this purpose.

• Hello Mr. Gerardo, first of all I would like to say thank you, your decision to write here is highly commended.

But there is one striking to me as you quoted,and I came up to a question you, do you think that a person who is religious is living unscientifically? That science belongs only to those who doesn't believe God? Lastly, that science is an opposite pole of religion?

I hope you won't mind me asking and please correct me if I misunderstood you context.
    Thank you!

Gerardo Gordillo Muñoz said:

Hello Risty, about the meaning of life, you´ll have to find it, there is no other way. I´ve read all comments in this blog, and I agree with Mary and Luci again. To me, life is about learning, loving my family, playing basketball, working hard... 

Another advice: religion answers religious questions, science answers sciences questions; and I think the meaning of life is not a religious question. 

Have a nice day my friend and good luck with your search...

"He who possesses art and science has religion; he who does not posses them, needs religion"

This reply was deleted.