What are some weirdest customs and traditions in your country and what do you think about that?

In the north Vietnam,  we have a quite bizarre traditions. After death, the dead bodies are buried in a grave deeply underground then after 3-5 years normally they are digged out. All the bones are collected and  washed carefully by hands with water mixed some kind of herbs and white wine then put all into a stone box . And the stone box are reburied forever, of course in another place. The process is  like the second funeral.  In almost all Vietnamese traditional village cemeteries in the Red river delta, there are separated regions to bury dead bodies: one for the temporary burial and another for forever rest. We do that to make the dead bodies clean and pure and believe the process is needed for forever rest, also to show our love and care for the dead persons.

I've joined some  reburial process and honestly speaking, it's quite terrible. Just imagine you have to go to a cemetery at 2 am in almost darkness and see a dead body, even it's your relatives...not mention to the hygiene and health of those who are involved in.

Nowadays though cremation is chosen by many families in cities and towns,  in villages such ritual reburials are still popular.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's  a bit odd actually, but also nice. Sitting before leaving can make you calm down too and it's good to start a trip. Not mention to a more chance to look around and find something you can forget...

• OMG "make a soup"  lol Mary, sorry for dissapointing you

• You've opened our eyes! Thanks Doc !:))

• Hahaha absolutely! 

• Cool and weird enough, romik and Ishtar.

But no worries, any of these old superstitions make you look as if you had an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder*, haha...

(*kidding, they do)

• How interesting! I wonder if it has some kind of relation to a superstition here in my country: if you're going out anywhere, and once you leave home you realize you forgot something before leaving (such as your cellphone, your purse, etc) and have to come back inside to retrieve it, you have to sit on a chair (or armchair, or sofa. Just sit.). Some even sit and stand again three times in a row before leaving again. It is said that if you don't sit down before leaving again, you'll have bad luck in whatever thing you were planning to do in your journey. 

• Istar  haha this is the reason why I'd like to show this topic to people. We live in different corners of the world and surely we have different weird and funny habits and customs.

• Fancy that !! That sounds very similar the silly superstition that there is in my country! But instead of sitting, as in yours, if you forget something and come back home to fetch it, you should look in the mirror before you leave home again.

• How come, romik?

• April ! who knows, it's just a superstition. But, come to think of it, if you forget something, that means you are most likely a little distracted, and probably thinking about other things and problems. So, possibly looking in the mirror lets you to see yourself in the way other people can at the moment, that, eventually, helps you concentrate.

This reply was deleted.