The Categorical Change of Words

How does a word changes from a noun to verb to adjective?

What rules govern these changes?

How did these rules come about?

How do these rules change over time?

Who sets these rules?

What flexibility do people have to change these rules?

These are the questions that came to mind when I was learning the word DERANGMENT.

My dictionary states it’s a noun but if I use the word DERANGE then it is a verb. When it is written as  DERANGED then it is an adjective.

I think this is the territory of GRAMMAR and having no formal  education on this subject, I am looking for the best resource to get one. What would be your recommendation?

Thanks
Zsolt

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In my view, it's somehow easy to distinguish verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs. There are some rules and sometimes some exceptions that we have to be careful about. The general rule to make a noun, we use some suffixes like ance, ence, ment, ness, ity, etc. To give you an example, patience is a noun. "ence" is used to form a noun. Now, if we want to make an adjective of Patience, we can add ent at the end of the word. So, be PatiENT! is an adjective.

To find more information in this regard, you can visit these websites:

1-http://cutewriting.blogspot.com/2008/10/grammar-tip-suffixes-which-...

2-http://www.xtec.es/~ogodoy/sac/wordbuilding/suffixes.htm

I have no idea where these suffixes have come from and I think it's not important that much since it has no effect on our learning. What matters is to know the difference between verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs. So, I hope this helps.
    • Well if this is all there is to it, then you are right it is simple and I should know most of it simply by using the langue for over two decades.  Yet, I make a series of errors repeatedly so I wonder how to go best to correct my grammatical shortcomings? If there is no more complexities to the English grammar, then it should be relatively easy to correct here on as I make it my focused topic. So whoever reads my postings, please bring to my attention any and all mistakes I make with grammar.

Thank you to all in advance.

Zsolt

This reply was deleted.