sleep

Sleeping more than eight hours a day is good for the health, or is it bad? Sleep is like death.  Our eyes are closed, our nervous system is inactive. Our muscles... even our consciousness is not available. It is comparable to death, or am I mistaken? 

What happens when we sleep? Is there any difference between sleep, naps, dozes, siestas, or snoozes? Can we stay without sleep for more than twenty-four hours?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• xia xia Tim New. I really appreciate the valuable information which you have provided in your useful comment on Sleep. The link is very helpful for those who are interested in such topics.  I also agree with you, from person to person, it varies. I take flights that are more than thirteen hours and I never get any sleep. Thanks for your meaningful comment.

• You're welcome.  The human brain is still mostly a mystery to us.

• wo feichang xihuan Tim New. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

• Tim New, wo xihuan! I really like that. Thanks again.

• Muchas gracias senior Estanis. Thanks for pressing the like button.

• "Can we stay without sleep for more than twenty-four hours?"  My record was about 7 days back when I was in law school working on a paper.  Anytime I flew US to Asia or Asia to US I'd stay awake until a "normal" bedtime at my arrival destination so staying awake 27 to 35 hours was usual.

How much sleep do we need for good health?  It varies by person.

I was having this discussion with a student in China and discovered that some of the science had changed over the years.  When I was in college I learned that there were 4 stages of sleep.  Today they show 5.  This is called a sleep cycle.  https://www.sleepassociation.org/about-sleep/stages-of-sleep/    https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-101

My understanding is that the important thing isn't the total hours of sleep you get but that you finish cycles - don't awake until the 5th stage is complete of whichever cycle.

Stages of Sleep: The Sleep Cycle
    Explore the 5 stages of the sleep cycle (light sleep, deep sleep, NREM & REM), their characteristics, k-complexes, spindles, dreaming & muscle moveme…
  • Don't know if it's good or bad but I can't remember last time I slept for 8 consecutive hours.  As for your comparison some say it's like our second life, who knows...  I just can say I have no a deep sleep.   Oh.. more than 24 hours with no sleep? Sure we can haha.. but I don't suggest it to anyone 

• Senior Estanis, muchas gracias! It looks like it, doesn't it? While we sleep that pump is still doing its work to let our blood circulate in our veins. The rest of our organs are at a standstill. Thanks for your nice dropping by, my handsome friend. Don't forget to extend my greetings to your respected family. Thanks again.

• Mushkoorah ya sit Sewar. Thanks for pressing the like button.

•      My friend, life is the greatest gift from God. So, how we dare waste it in sleeping for many hours, instead of grabbing every moment to taste its joy and its happiness like a carefree child living in the moment, exited and enthusiastic to experience things just for fun. Yes, sleeping gives our bodies and minds some of energy to help us to continue our life. But in return, it stops our side shine.

Finally, my friend try to write down everything you can lose during the sleep time including the emotions, then you tell me; what happens when we sleep?  God bless you.

This reply was deleted.