Replies

• Why so combative?

This is a quote from your contribution:

'Pop music is probably not the best example of English usage'

Seems pretty generic to me.

There are number of other factors at work when we are teaching - the host culture being one. The expectations of the admin and parents are others.

My 'shoulds' reflect these expectations as do commercial realities like music royalties.

• Jeffrey Raven said:

There are lots of "should"s in your comment. 

Who decides what should or shouldn't be in pop music? I can't help thinking that you do, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Out of nowhere, you state that, "...rejecting generic pop is (sic) too broad brush." I certainly hope you didn't assume I was rejecting generic pop, whatever that is... I accept pop music as an expression of a musical art form: Some of it is great, some of it is pure crap!

Oral English
    Academic research reveals that the primary exposure to Oral English for Chinese students outside of the classroom is from POP MUSIC!
  • I think rejecting generic pop is too broad brush. The music should meet other criteria.

For example:

It should bounce along and not be a mixture of turgid verse and singable chorus.

It should be optimistic in tone.

It should be free of overt sexual references.

It should be relatively neutral from a gender viewpoint. Boys should not feel they are singing a 'girls' part and vice versa.

This is worth reading.

http://iteslj.org/Articles/Schoepp-Songs.html

Schoepp - Reasons for Usings Songs in the ESL/EFL Classroom (TESL/TEFL)
This reply was deleted.