money and happiness

Of course, every one of us wants to be happy in his life. How do we do that?

Is it possible to buy happiness by money? I have a lot of money; does that mean I am happy? If the answer is yes, it means that poor people are not happy. Depression and other distressing thoughts, do they have anything to do with happiness? Can we be happy by our quality of thoughts?

Many questions, I hope to find some answers for them, thanks for your contributions.  

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Of course we can't buy happiness with money. There are many things in the world that we can't buy with money. Sometime we can't buy even a real smile with money

• Bravo Kitty, I like the way your parent raised you to. They are indeed nice people to teach you those moral things. Money is not everything. I agree with that. Nevertheless, it is very important in our life. Thanks for your nice comment. 

• My parents always talk me that happiness is the key to life. 

we don't need to have a lot of money to buy everything, we just satisfy with our own life.

Money is not everything. it is only of the four main key to success: Health, Weath, Love, Happiness

• Merci beaucoup, Cecile Cesar! Many people like to be happy like you, my dear lady. If you make your students happy, God will give you happiness. Money, as mod. paula and other members mentioned can be very nasty in certain occasions. By the way, where have you been, teacher Cecil? Thanks for your comment.

• Wow! Mod Paula, what is that? Money is not that evil. By our deeds, we make it that way.Our greed and rapacious ways of having piles of it. All these things concerning our personal greed to devour whatever meets us, just in return to make fortunes. You also mentioned the quirky ways people use to get money. Honestly, we are taking peculiar ways to get it. I remember once our salary was delayed and I had to think of a way to squeeze money from my students. That was about more than ten years ago. I told my medical students or those who are intending to follow that route, that I would translate most of the medical terminologies for them to help them in their studies. They liked the idea and I was frank with them that I needed money. It was forbidden. If the ministry had heard about it, I might have been fired a long time ago. I succeeded in getting the money. Thanks, mod. paula for your nice and analytic comment. 

• Hello sir Dara,I like this blog,on money or happiness .i'm not to happy these month.but if I could have my childhood back.it would be great ,may be I could say money.but I prefer happiness than money.thank you to share your good idea always.
    back.it
  • I agree with Ramon and Rosemary.......money is but a tool only......and as Rosemary posted the things it will not do........which are so important in our lives..........so it goes to show you........money isn't all things......it helps us.........but it is the love of money that is our ruination........and I think all can see......much has been ruined more than has been helped by it's use in this way.  The effects of greed and power and selfishness are greatly abundant in this world today.........the good that is done......is barely advertised..........one thing to remember.........we come into this world with nothing.....and we are going to leave it in the same way............look at the people that must do without the basic tool to ensure them a good life because the greedy and power hungry work ways to take that very tool away from them.........yet we go each day to try and get more and more of this thing that is called money.   Money is not the evil.......it is man's love for it.........and to me.......if you are a rich man........and you are not helping those in need around you........then what does that say about you????   I think that speaks for it's self.......don't you???  It brings to mind a quote from The King James version of the bible.......It is easier for a man to fit through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.  Think about it.......don't you find it a true thought????

• Zettai teki ni tadashi! What you say is reason itself. Money can buy material things. Spiritual things cannot be bought by money. clothes, food, buildings. You know something, Tam,  In some way or another, I just feel that money to some extent can buy a little happiness.  Maybe, some members might not agree with me, here.  Thanks Tam for your nice comment.   

• What we can buy by money are goods like food and clothes, and service. On the other hand, what we can't buy by money are love, family, friends, spirit and so on. People wouldn't be happy if they can't have money to buy enough food and clothes, a house to live in. However even if they have money for buying them, some people wouldn't be happy because of various reasons. For example, they don't have a family or friends, they lost their lover, they are oppressed. This means that we wouldn't be happy only by money but also without money.

• Benar benar, teman ku. Saya sangat suka itu, Andy. Wow! What a lesson! In that direction, I guess my thinking was not right. Even Ramon, at his second comment, mentioned that. He showed money was not everything. A tool as you said. By the way, I liked that word 'subjective' in reference to happiness. I also liked that word 'slave' regarding money. I do not know why does my thinking go wrong? When I see wealthy people, it comes to my thoughts that they are very happy. When I read your line, (everything is difficult without it) I knew that money is the nerves of life. Thanks Andy for a brilliant and stunning point. 

This reply was deleted.