Marriage of minors

The marriage of minors or underage is growing rapidly on these days. Because of poverty or any other lack of substantial matters, people marry their children, they are girls of age between seven, eight or up to twelve or thirteen. If you go to refugee camps, the matter is bigger than you can imagine. For the lack of food, shelter or education, people marry their girls. Some of these girls do not know what marriage is. Greedy ones are taking the advantage of the situations. Those who are rich offer their money for a nine-year-old girl. To add more petrol to the fire, there are some people who arrange these marriages, taking the need of the family and the demand of the other side who wants to satisfy his desire.

Is it because of poverty,  the absence of conscience or the wars?

Is there any remedy for this matter?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Feelin dank Rose! You and Mr. Joseph are taking the problem from different angles, which is giving the discussion meaningful points. Thank you both!

Rose said:

Dear Joseph, I know the cause and the effects of property.
    Wealth sometimes pushes very often people to do bad things against people they are poor because those people put wealth with power over others alike.

Of course is education very important... and many problems in terms of unequally distributed poverty are to solve.

My point is the moralic one.
    All of that will not change the mind of sick men which only feel satisfied when they marry and abuse kids. THAT is the problem. Not only rich men do that.  
    As long as societies allow it, as long as there dosn't exist laws in every countries  which forbid such sick and asocial behaviour to marry a child, as long doesn't change anything.  
    It is right what you mentioned, very young girls become pregnant. But if they become pregnant because an "OLD" man had abused her, is it much more to mention and ... much more ... to condemn.

But that is only the result of wrong behaviour and weak or missing laws. In every society it happ  that very young girls become pregnant and marry very early. That is because of missing education, and everything what the result of poverty is.

BUT: for a man who abuses or marries a girl in the age of a child ... there isn't any excuses, no apologies, no reason.... at all.   NOTHING!!!

Joseph said:

Rose, my point of view it is a structural issue, the poverty is the cause or effect of many problems, and the poor people have many needs, generally they don't get education, by example in my country El Salvador, girls of age twelve got pregnant so she must marry and forget of the studies this make a poverty cycle, if wouldn't exist the money accumulation the world would be different

Rose said:

Joseph, I am sorry but I don't get your comment, so I ask you directly: what have those rich men to do with stupid men who marry children?  That was that topic what we discussing about. Such kind of men exist for much longer than those rich men.

Joseph said:

This is a complicated matter, the human being never is satisfied with things as they have, always wants more, read this analysis "eight richest men worth more than half of the world's population"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/top-eight-richest-men-worth...

in other side, the overpopulation is other cause

Marriage of minors
    The marriage of minors or underage is growing rapidly on these days. Because of poverty or any other lack of substantial matters, people marry their…
  • Gracias Joseph! Here, let me ask, "is the number of women greater than the number of men?" Thanks for the link of that video.

Joseph said:

This is a complicated matter, the human being never is satisfied with things as they have, always wants more, read this analysis "eight richest men worth more than half of the world's population"

Marriage of minors
    The marriage of minors or underage is growing rapidly on these days. Because of poverty or any other lack of substantial matters, people marry their…
  • Dear Joseph, I know the cause and the effects of property.
    Wealth sometimes pushes very often people to do bad things against people they are poor because those people put wealth with power over others alike.

Of course is education very important... and many problems in terms of unequally distributed poverty are to solve.

My point is the moralic one.
    All of that will not change the mind of sick men which only feel satisfied when they marry and abuse kids. THAT is the problem. Not only rich men do that.  
    As long as societies allow it, as long as there dosn't exist laws in every countries  which forbid such sick and asocial behaviour to marry a child, as long doesn't change anything.  
    It is right what you mentioned, very young girls become pregnant. But if they become pregnant because an "OLD" man had abused her, is it much more to mention and ... much more ... to condemn.

But that is only the result of wrong behaviour and weak or missing laws. In every society it happ  that very young girls become pregnant and marry very early. That is because of missing education, and everything what the result of poverty is.

BUT: for a man who abuses or marries a girl in the age of a child ... there isn't any excuses, no apologies, no reason.... at all.   NOTHING!!!

Joseph said:

Rose, my point of view it is a structural issue, the poverty is the cause or effect of many problems, and the poor people have many needs, generally they don't get education, by example in my country El Salvador, girls of age twelve got pregnant so she must marry and forget of the studies this make a poverty cycle, if wouldn't exist the money accumulation the world would be different

Rose said:

Joseph, I am sorry but I don't get your comment, so I ask you directly: what have those rich men to do with stupid men who marry children?  That was that topic what we discussing about. Such kind of men exist for much longer than those rich men.

Joseph said:

Marriage of minors
  • Dear teacher
    My brain works so hard at your discussion . The outcome hasn't come out yet since three days passed .
  • Rose, my point of view it is a structural issue, the poverty is the cause or effect of many problems, and the poor people have many needs, generally they don't get education, by example in my country El Salvador, girls of age twelve got pregnant so she must marry and forget of the studies this make a poverty cycle, if wouldn't exist the money accumulation the world would be different

Rose said:

Joseph said:

Marriage of minors
  • Joseph, I am sorry but I don't get your comment, so I ask you directly: what have those rich men to do with stupid men who marry children?  That was that topic what we discussing about. Such kind of men exist for much longer than those rich men.

Joseph said:

Marriage of minors
  • This is a complicated matter, the human being never is satisfied with things as they have, always wants more, read this analysis "eight richest men worth more than half of the world's population"

• Zdravo Marija, What a lovely comment? I really like your ideas and your points for this intervention. the word normal is too strong for that act. because we cannot marry a girl of our granddaughter's age and consider that normal. It needs a lot of tactics. I can marry a child of, say, ten or thirteen years of age, but I have to wait for her till she becomes a real woman. Then, she will be ready to sleep with her husband. Regarding the relatives, it's better to marry outside that area. Medically, they say, it avoids you a lot of chronical diseases. Thanks, Marija for your nice and useful comment!

Marija said:

for me, that's really terrible..but that's normal for some cultures and religions, i guess this is a problem of education more than poverty..this is happening at the enviroment where are people less educated..i understand that in some countries people don't have an opportunity to educate yourself. Also is not normal to marry your relative..but this is very common in some countries. What do you think about marriage between relatives?

Marriage of minors
  • Di sini, itu tidak seperti itu. Aku menikah dengan orang gadis tiga belas tahun. I married a thirteen-year-old girl when I was about thirty or thirty-five. Here, the matter depends on the court, the acceptance of the child and the consent of her parents. Of course, rules differ from one country to the other. By the way, that is not a justification for us, men to behave like that against those poor creatures. Mr. Mishaikh,  mashaa Allah is always right. If the man is a real man and he considers this girl is his wife, he will never harm her or hurt her. He will treat her nicely, he will wait for her till she is a grown woman and then, he can sleep with her as his beloved wife. The matter needs further studies. Thanks, Fatimah!   

Fatimah said:

In indonesia, if there is a man marries an under age girl, he will be jailed, i agree with Mishaikh that the men who marry under age girls should be punished. I may discrease the problem of urder age marriage
    Marriage of minors
  • for me, that's really terrible..but that's normal for some cultures and religions, i guess this is a problem of education more than poverty..this is happening at the enviroment where are people less educated..i understand that in some countries people don't have an opportunity to educate yourself. Also is not normal to marry your relative..but this is very common in some countries. What do you think about marriage between relatives?

This reply was deleted.