This questioon was on my mind yesterday and I have been thinking, if it is good idea to have separate classes or if it is better to have mixed classes, where boys and girls also learn (without being aware of it), how to get along with each other, which can of course influence them in the future, when it comes to dealing with the oposite gender.. What do you think, guys?

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I taught in a village there were one girl and 5 boys in my class. All the boys like girl as a classmmatte and they help her in her lessons. We don't have any problem in this class at all
  • LIEDY said:

In the  mixed classes I lived the situation where the teacher prefers the  girls;others prefer boys, others prefer the rich students who wear beautiful clothes that use school supplies are ;some boys use their power and punich girls ,exploit them to do their homeworks or their requestes that horrible!!

----

What the...??!! Those situations you're describing are not due to a mixed classroom! You're describing an awful school with a terrible education system and teachers who are not professional at all!!!!   That doesn't have anything to do with genders, but with a simple BAD EDUCATION.

In any case... What kind of terrible society are you living in, where situations like these are allowed in a school and according to your own words: boys can get "psychological problems" if they share a classroom with girls????   Really.... What is all these nonsense??!

• when girls and boys are in the same class gives their whole capacity of being on the professional domaine later they can change ideas and help each other with his vision.

The presence of the girl in  classes with  boys can cause problems on the plane psycologique for girls or boys it  depant the situation and the grade level; the envirenement of school.

In the  mixed classes I lived the situation where the teacher prefers the  girls;others prefer boys, others prefer the rich students who wear beautiful clothes that use school supplies are ;some boys use their power and punich girls ,exploit them to do their homeworks or their requestes that horrible!!

• Dear luci, I have studied in a non-coeducation school; I remember I was so excited about university and one of the reasons were that I was going to be in an environment where boys and girls were in the same class. I believe, both i mean being together and not being together has its own advantages and disadvantages. If they grew together they will learn more about opposite gender and consequently they will learn how to behave properly, because at the end of the day they will work and live in the same society. On the other hand especially when they are teenagers they might not be able to control their feelings. anyway it also depends on the society; for example in some societies that males and females relationship are acceptable, so it will be easier to have coeducation schools. But in societies that the relationship between men and women are not acceptable, it will be hard to have such schools. In the end I can say i agree to have coeducation schools.
  • I dont think its a good idea to separate boys and girls in school. when they grow up they will have to study in a college or at a university, the question rises whether there are separate lectures for boys and girls. Of course there are not any of such kind and of course later they will ahve to work together . I dont understand  the point of separation. they should learn to deal  with each other , to be more tolerate to each others' presence and thus they will learn to get accustomed to each other at an earlier age.

I think equality  between two genders should be established at an early age , in kindergarten and at schools.when separated they dont receive different education, it only rises the tension between two genders and the unnecessary interest. when they see each other on daily basis , it will be a usual thing for them to make friends and learn to share things, knowledge and impressions and they will have also the same experience.it will be easier for them later to establish healthier relationships than in case of having been separated.

• kanimozhi,

thanx for reply.. Freedom in separated classes? What do you mean? Like the group of the girls share more etc. which means that as a group of one gender they make this bond stronger and then comminication with guys might be even worse?

kanimozhi said:

Its doesn't matter to be separate girls and guys but one disadvantage is they will get fear when they will face interview session as well as in front or girls or guys.I have experienced both systematic in my school days, but i really enjoyed in separated studies compare to coeducation.In coeducation also has some drawbacks girls can't to freedom in front of them but girls or boys separated classes they can get freedom to enjoy in the class.

Is it good idea to separate boys and girls?
    This questioon was on my mind yesterday and I have been thinking, if it is good idea to have separate classes or if it is better to have mixed classe…
  • Hola Estanis,

thanx for your reply! It is discrimination and I think people should realize it plus I think it leads to problems then bwcause such people have no idea how to get along with each other - I mean oposite genders..
    Estanis said:
    I think only in high standard collages and often associated with a deep religion separate genders in my country. I don't mind it since they are private schools but I can't see the point of separate genders in public schools. As I've read below, it's like separate black and white children or the Arabic or foreign from the local ones.
    It's simply discrimination.
    This questioon was on my mind yesterday and I have been thinking, if it is good idea to have separate classes or if it is better to have mixed classe…
  • Amal,

you think separating girls and boys won't make of them gays and lesbians, who are ofc in every society or culture - just in some they are repressed and have to hide their real sexual orientation?

Amal said:
    Mary,

You maybe right especially this idea would work in this horrible world where Gay and lesbians are there. So there is no fear if no gender like the other...
  • Mary,

I fully agree with everything you mentioned in your short reply :D ok seriously ..I see it also as discrimination and don't understand such classes exist in the 21st century :/ There is nothing bad in mixed classes and I think it brings more positives than negatives..at least to me. Thanx for participating here ;)

MARY said:

A very good and necessary discussion  LUCI, thanks for bringing it up.

To separate boys and girls in a classroom is as "good idea" as to separate white people and black people. It just leads to make people believe there is a huge difference between them and because of that is not good for them to be together. That's segregation, and segregation leads to discrimination. So, for me, the answer is clear: NO. Gender segregation is not a good idea.

It's supposes school prepares kids for their future in the 'real world'. What kind of 'real world' is the one where men and women can't be together in the same place? It's just nonsense.

For me, an education which encourages segregation is completely wrong. It creates a gap between people. What is the sense? If I ask what is the difference between a black person and a white person, you'd say: the color of the skin. Just that. A physical characteristic. And the difference between a man and a woman is not just a physical characteristic too? Makes sense to separate people just because of a physical characteristic??? Then let's separate also tall people and short ones, ugly people and beautiful ones, etc...

As I said in Arif's blog, I'm aware there are societies and cultures where this is pretty normal. But just because it's the 'norm' doesn't mean it's ok. This kind of things leads to gender discrimination, and discrimination is intolerable and must NEVER been hiden behind the label of 'tradition' or 'culture'. The excuse: 'depends on the country/society' for me is not valid. I can't excuse or tolerate discriminatory attitudes by the simple fact that the society of that country is used to that... I can't excuse discrimination 'depending on the country'.

LUCI, you're right saying that to change the mind of a society takes lot of time. But there are small steps we all can take. Bring to light the problem, discuss openly about it, analyze it, to question whether it is right or wrong... that's already a step. This kind of discussions are very necessary for some societies. 

This reply was deleted.