Dear Friends,

During these years that I have been studying English, I collected more than 300 words of English. I wrote every words down on a piece of squared paper. On one side, I wrote the meaning with a sentence and the other side, the word itself. Now, I have a pile up of English vocabulary which I don't know how I can review them. How do you review your growing list of vocabulary? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Nafis

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Try index cards. You can mix them up, select the words that you have trouble with and omit words you are comfortable with.
    • Dear Nastya, Thanks a million times for your great advice and encouragement. I need it really! Thanks a lot..when it comes to vocabulary, I really have problem, however, I try to do what you mentioned here. I also think pictures are great way to memorize a word. I also like to write a story using my new vocab but the problem is I think too much what story I should write!! Maybe I should take it easy and just use the words.
    •  

Thanks a lot dear Pete! I 'll surely do. 

•  

Hello Nafis, Zahra, Anele, Nazie and Valentine,

I try making a study map; I hope,  All the tips could have been gathered.

1-We should deal with the new vocab in way of root words. (Anonim) 

2-Derivation and pref&suff ixes, (Nazie)

3-Think smilarly with some codes and use your imagination to remember. (Anonim)

4-remember,  resembles,    remarkable,   reminds, I have already four word in one sentence (in Zahra blog) . This is a good example.

5- Try to write scripts more quickly. Do not pause on words and structure too much.(Zahra) improve it later.

6-  Make it a habit to read before you go to bed and after you wake up in the morning. (Anele)

7-  Use Theasurus (Anele)

8-  STEM , ASSOSIATION and  MNEMONIC are secret words (Nazie, Valentine and anonim )

9- "LISTENing, READing, USing"  Do it over and over again.

In case of forgetting about mentioned some good advice, please accept my apologies. This is really good workshop became to me and others like me.  Grateful to Nafis.

• Dear Selma, thank you so much. You are very organized. I'm really glad you liked it. Dear Selma, you can write a blog about it! I am so sure everybody will benefit from it. We had a great discussion here! Thanks to all my friends here and thank you so much dear Selma! Take care,
  •  

Hello everybody! Dear Nafis, perhaps it is not quite on this topic. But I want to share information about "How to build up your vocabulary"  Maybe for someone it will be useful!

Take the word “rain”, for example. From this high-frequency word, you can make lots of other words: “rainbow, raincoat, rainfall, rainforest, rainwater” and “rainstorm”. And you could probably guess the meaning of all these words if you saw them in context. As well as that, there are several derivatives that can be formed from root words. For example, from the high-frequency root word “destroy”, you can create a noun (“destruction”) and an adjective (“destructive”). So, once you know the meaning of all the high-frequency root words, you can understand the meaning of their derivatives or associated words. Of course, some words are easier to learn than others. They may remind you of a word you already know in the target language. Or, they're similar to ones in your own language. However, other words are more complicated. They just don’t seem to make any logical sense. For these complicated words can use mnemonics.

Mnemonics are memory aids. Creating mnemonics consists of finding images or associated words that you can use to help you remember target words in the new language.  Except that there’s a slight problem. The thing is, very few words are found in isolation. They are often in partnership with other words. Take the case of the high-frequency word “evidence”. It’s often seen in the expression “a lack of evidence”. The key is to learn chunks of words: words in sentences, words in expressions and words in phrases. So, next time you want to learn a word, write down a whole phrase, sentence or expression with the word in it.

But there’s another problem. You may be able to recognise the word, but can you use it in a sentence? Will it come to you while you’re speaking?  And the thing that’ll help you is…repetition. Simply repeat key phrases or expressions over and over again until they become ingrained in your brain. 

P.S. thanks a lot, guys for your useful advice and the special respect to creater of this topic:))
    • Dear valentine, thanks a million times!
  • Wooowww,

Excellent ideas !  Thanks a lot  to all of you.

Good to be witness to such a important topic, also into this great conversation.

I wish, this discussion is noticed by others have the same problem.

• Hello Nazie,

We cannot acquire such a useful information even if paying money for it.

Thank you all of you,

" raised the importance of (may be) the most important part of language."

Hopefully, we have more contributors,

• Hi Zahra,

Good solution, I do the same thing time to time 

but  I prefer to be organised visually so I make flash cards initially,

I will be on it realisingly,

To sum up, to stay in conceptual is very effective way,

Have a nice day,

This reply was deleted.