How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• English is NOT a stumbling block ??this is what most feel, it is ??I teach  grammar though the text used in the lesson   and it is introduced as it comes in the lesson and NOT as an independent item NEVER??I get the   learner use the language in their speech and writing within about 50 hours of evenly spaces out lessons.   My strategy is to   use graphics  to introduce grammar.  SO the  learners hardly feel they are learning grammar. ??I make it game almost??  And regular repetition is a must, May be,I teach the same grammar item within the lesson many times but never seperate..then i graduate to higher levels and finally end up with Shakespeare , the complete works,the original Elizabethan English .They fit in very comfortably ?? IT must be made a fun item ,not a lesson in English ?? Raja Wimalaratne

•   AS per the experience of teaching English Language an then literature for over 30 years, I fee, grammar should be made an experience   assimilated through the lesson ??lt should not be an airtight compartment and not even a lesson separated,, NEVER???

I use graphics and the give grammar strictly based on the text I use to give the grammar/the learners NEVER feel they are studying grammar.And then i get the learners talk and write proper English but basic sentence structures correctly within 50 hours of evenly spaced out lessons.   

Simple it is ???IT is made  a  pleasant experience??they enjoy and  then once they  feel they can talk freely,  the learning process. gathers momentum and speed comes in.   THEN Once i feel confident I introduce Literature ??And   finally Shakespeare    plays a role in my lessons  with ease. 

i talk of the the original version.   ,,not the abridged   or simplified.

SO  FINALLY  ''grammar"" SHOULD NEVER be  an independent item in a lesson  NEVER??never

DO NOT make it out-stand  and give undue stress to the learners.

• First, you have to learn to walk, after that, you're able to running. That is the case with English language. Big mistake, in my opinion was that we learnt grammar, grammar and only grammar in elemeotary and high school. In faculty was not that bad. Now I get a degree that I have knowledge of boath general and bussines english at upper-intermediate level (B2.2). But, if you ask me 'something to explain' in direct conversation "face to face", I will only think about grammar and the way i'm using verbs, times, words etc. , and my mind will explode. In that moments I sound like I don't know what I'm saying.
  • If you aspire to be an English teacher at university or high school, you probably need a very sound knowledge of grammar. For the rest of us, we need to know sufficient to be able to structure our sentences well and avoid common mistakes. It matters not if we don't know what a gerund, preposition or countable noun are, provided we can use the language well.

Like all languages, English is evolving ... a living language. New words appear and sometimes unacceptable use becomes acceptable use.

• Friends....

One small suggestion... It is not like how much we should learn about grammar.. we should know the English Grammar... Once we come to know the grammar portion, we need to practice continuously.  There is no limit in Grammar... only we should know what is what... and further the Grammar rule never changes at any time.... It is a standard one only...

Selvakumar

• i think beginners should understand the basic grammers carefully otherwise the would not express the fluency in English at the same time there are very complicated parts of grammer that increase confusions to some extint 

• I couldn't agree more Mr Bob. Your response makes a lot of sense. Even second language learners in native English countries acquire survival language initially through talking and listening. My experience also comes from elementary school. We call it "primary school" in Australia.
  • Since this discussion has been going on for a while, I won't spend too much time reviewing everyone's ideas.  Instead I will state that how much grammar you need depends on what you plan to do with English.  If you mainly need to communicate with others (as in conversation) grammar can be taught by example while practicing speaking.

In Saudi Arabia we spend too much time on the rules of grammar before students have any foundation in English.  The style of teaching here tends to be rote memorization.  We have students who can barely answer "What is your name?" learning parts of speech, but not really understanding their lessons.  I have found that asking questions and answering questions helps students understand the structure of the language.  Then the teacher can explain grammar as we encounter new things.  I would rather have them speaking and making some mistakes than unable to speak because they are concentrating on grammar.

We should remember that the students in English speaking countries learn their own language before they start school.  Only after learning to speak do they begin getting lessons about grammar.  When we teach English as a second language we should bear in mind this natural order of things.  Text books that mimic books for native English speakers often focus on lessons that English speaking countries only give their children after they have been speaking English for six or seven years.  The natural way to acquire language is first to listen, to speak, and then to worry about reading, writing and using perfect grammar.

• Fantastic response: "How much grammar you need depends on what you plan to do with English." I wish all learners would understand that very important fact. Many online learners say they want to practise speaking, and I always remind them to listen to as much English as they can. 

• Hi Alex, Muhammet and Anh

Thanks for your opinion.

This reply was deleted.