How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You are right Alex.  Languages evolved to be used and along the way some traditions developed about how sentences should go together.

As a child we listen and copy the grammar of the adults. That way the traditions become part of our language use.  Rules or traditional use exist to help correct those who don't learn correctly and to help new people learn the language.  The rules are not committed to memory by native speakers. Instead the proper use of grammar is committed to memory. 

Without some system we could say any of the following:

1. I am going to school.

2. School going I am to.

3. Going I am to school.

4. I school am to going.

The native speaker will use the first example without giving it any thought.  We know where all the parts of speech should go. If we understand how to use grammar we can properly unscramble words to make a proper sentence. 

Here are examples we use in a placement test:

football likes Ahmed music and.

would like you coffee some?

number is your telephone what?

English speak can well you?

washing in he the is car the garden.

Are these difficult to unscramble?  They give many people trouble if they don't understand the rules of English.

• If you want to speak you can learn the  grammar simple pattern in Speaking.If you want to learn grammar for your reading,you should choose from easy level .You can learn parts of speech or you can learn simple sentence in which there is part of speech you want to learn.For example:You can learn verb"be" in simple present tense and make sentences with it to remember its function.

-I am a student.He is a worker.

-I am tall. He is tall.

-I am young.He is old.

-I am happy.He is kind.

So on...The same way with other verbs :

I have a small house.

I have breakfast at 8.00.

You should learn vocabulary at the same time with Grammar to combine parts of speech for making sentences .That's my experience in learning grammar.

• Hi Le thi,

I agree with you. Thanks for your opinion.

• according to me there is no limitation of grammar and don't ever think you are here to learn grammar .just start communicating in english and you'll observe that that you are on the way of perfection and gradually you'll have a strong command on this language.

• Hi, krishk

Thanks for your opinion.

• Grammar is probably more important to second language learners of English because they may have less opportunity to learn the language by speaking alone. Languages contain patterns,sentences and groups of words. Students should learn how to communicate through understanding what is a question, a command, a statement to achieve a need. If a student needs to learn how to make an appointment with a doctor, the situation is first considered and then a closer look at the language required for the purpose of communication. Often communication with a doctor will involve questions and answers. Analysis of how to phrase a question will lead to breaking down its parts. Grammar has a place within the context of a situation and for a purpose. Grammar taught in isolation is very boring even to a native speaker.

from a school teacher who is studying a Masters degree in Linguistics

• Hi Ameni,

Thanks for your opinion. I remember I did learn English the way you suggested above :)

• Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your answers. But, I think it's a bit of misunderstanding here. I have another discussion asking about should we really care about grammar usage when we speak English: http://my.englishclub.com/forum/topics/do-we-need-to-learn-grammar-to.

But, in this particular discussion, I'm wondering about essential parts of grammar that a beginner should master or at least knows. So, he or she could improve her/his English better without being overwhelmed. Some members already wrote that they think add more vocabulary first and know how to use the words are  important to start. Some others mentioned parts of grammar subjects such as tenses, direct-indirect speech, etc.

I think it's interesting. Thank you all. I'm sorry I cannot reply one by one.

• I think we learn English naturally. We can only follow a simple structure to make sentence :

subject + verb + object + adverb.

Subject : I, we, you, he, she, it, they, somebody, something etc.

Verb : verb in present form/past form / aux.v + verb in present form.

Object : according to verb

Adverb : according to verb

Example : I/WE/YOU/HE/SHE/THEY + EAT(S)+RICE+EVERYDAY.

First we should emphasize on language then grammar. 

• @Nadira, Yahia, Ruby

Thanks for all of your comments. They are helpful. So, we need to learn it step by step and by using it constantly we can grasp it without being overwhelmed.

This reply was deleted.