How much should we learn about Grammar?

I want to ask about this question: How much should we learn about Grammar? Since it has many subjects to learn about and sometimes it makes beginners feel overwhelmed and desperate in which part they should start to learn grammar. Tenses, parts of speech, etc. Can anyone make a list contains which parts of Grammar that beginners should really understand? 

For example, Is it important for a beginner to really understand parts of speech? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Learn like babies! First, hear & repeat, then talk & talk, after that read & write. The keyword is : do it everyday! Don't worry, Google is out there if you wanna know about the grammar ;)

• If we consider a language as a puzzle GRAMMAR is the instruction which shows us how to choose the pieces and where to put them.But when should the teacher teach the grammar?It shouldn't be taught so early.After teaching two skills of language ,listening & speaking, It's time for grammar teaching.In my opinion teaching of grammar facilitates learning of a new language.

Which parts of grammar should be taught? I think the most important parts are parts of speech,tenses, active and passives,conditionals conjunctions and etc.

BEST FOR ALL

teaching.in - This website is for sale! - Teaching Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! teaching.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of wha…
  • I spent my time to learn grammar. Then when I speak or write, I often try to think about grammar. It makes me can not speak and write fluently.

• I am learning a language which has a quite different grammar to English and a very different looking script. I am learning very little grammar, and even then it often confuses me... I am more likely to learn grammar by learning phrases and internalising the patterns (rules) from them, before focusing on the grammar more intensively.

But as a mature student, my mind isn't always so flexible and I don't have the time to devote to learning like a child - and people are too polite to correct me, so I understand that studying grammar rules is now necessary, unlike when I started learning English at much younger age as well as being surrounded and using English every day. So I think that while reading and listening as much as possible is the key for learning good English (input comes before output even with native children) sometimes we need a bit of a leg up (that means helping hand) from grammar rules along the way... 

The thing is that the native speakers break the rules very often indeed and it is OK, for example to use double negatives (I know nothing is only really wrong in formal grammar/speech) as it is part of that dialect, the same way that each area has often it's own lexicon and pronunciation. English is also a fluid language, it develops and changes all the time. 

• Hi Ario

i hope you are ok and not upset by grammar any more.

do not worry about grammar ;believe me

it is ok if you study grammar but do not mestify yourself by different grammer books

put them away and use them rarely. just in special cases

how long are you learning english???

take it easy your grammar will spontaneouslly get fixed just listen and write specially listening check this website . it has helped me alot and has shown me the way of learning english

www.EffortlessEnglish.com

and as a last recommendation read other's comments in this fantastic site     englishclub.com

i wish u best

• As an English learner or a fluent speaking you don't need grammar in high level, in my view you just need basic grammar. Last but not least you don't need to prepare your sentence in your mind.
  • Opinion: The most important things for a beginner are to start small, and build up from a basic foundation.  To be able to read and say simple things.

Subjects and Verbs - Learn to recognize them, match them together, and have them match in number in a sentence.

The boy plays ball.  Which is the subject?...Boy or ball?  Who/What plays?...Boy or ball?
    The boy plays ball.  The boys play ball.  

Pronouns - subject

Verb Tenses - Simple Past, Simple Future, and Present Continuous. 

Remember that Simple Present is used to mean something you do/don't do in general: I don't eat fish.
    Present Continuous is used to tell what you are/aren't doing right now: I am eating fish.

Adjectives - Learn to recognize them in a sentence.  Build a vocabulary of basic adjectives like colors, and learn adjectives in "opposites" pairs like: hot-cold, tall-short, thick-thin, fast-slow, soft-hard.

Generally, words that you use to describe things with your 5 senses are adjectives. 
    Example: That is bowl of soup. That is a big bowl of hot, stinky, delicious, green, soup.

• I do not understand why any one should be weak in grammar , and after ten years , .Surprising it is, as i get the grammar across to the  learners within 50 hours of evenly spaced out lessons   .,It definitely is not a case of ""tenses..parts of speech,.etc""that matters..It is how the teacher approaches. All these labels need not be taught separately but be a complement of the lesson..  The students need not  ""YES  NOT""" know there are labels of  this nature...   WE can get the grammar across through the lesson and explanation is minimum then.  

• In the TESOL business it's called fossilization. People reach a stage in language development where they can be understood most of the time despite poor grammar. Then they fossilize ... they fail to improve because their level of development is sufficient.

To improve, they need to continually and consciously practise correct grammar.

• I learn English for ten years .

but my grammar isn't good at all . 

I think it depends on different people . 

This reply was deleted.