Confidentiality

Is confidentiality important?

Is it possible to share someone's information without his/her knowledge and agreement?

Some members of the club reproached me for disclosing my personal experience of my second marriage in that discussion, (strange habits).

Can the lack of confidentiality cause stress or worry? The husband and the wife, do they have the right to reveal or disclose their confidential information? What about the secretary at work?

If a person is involved in serious crimes, can we disclose his confidentiality? 

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow! I am amazed, Evangelina. People who breach the laws are usually irresponsible people. They act or perform in strange ways. As you mentioned, such acts are unethical behaviors. Thanks, Eva for that nice comment.

• Mr. Dara,

Actually Mishaikh said it all, I too agree with their comment. When we have the responsibility of dealing with sensitive person information/data, we must always act with discretion and confidentiality in mind. Often it is a matter of mutual trust.

This;
    “In most of the other cases, it is unacceptable to break confidentiality, for example you should not gossip with your coworkers, friends about the personal matters of others, which they would not like to share.  These practices are unethical.  If they happen to know you have broken confidentiality, they may feel betrayed.  Their resulting suspicion could cause long-term damage to your relationship with them.”

I really agree with that.

The question as you have raised above Mr. Dara, whether it is possible to do, that should even not be the question. Question is, whether it is alright. It is not alright to share any kind of private information about a person without their knowledge and approval. It is just the same with sharing photos of other persons.

I must admit, I do not know how can people even think of behaving in such way. Do they not know, that just as open mouthed they are themselves, just exactly the same way will the person they share such kind of information with also be. And eventually the particular person will get to know in the same way.

People with a doubtful character will always behave unscrupulous and uncultivated. Matters of principles and morality are unfamiliar verbs in their dictionary.

Good and Powerful discussion, Mr. Dara.

• Volyke jyakyuy Roman, I agree with what the distinguished member, Mr., Mishaikh, too. Of course, our decisions must be based on careful information about the person. You can destroy a person by disclosing his confidentiality. He or she would think that he was not entrusted.

• Yaha kiya hai Mr. Mishaikh? kahane ke lei kush nahi bola hai. It was indeed a very useful essay for us to read and learn, too. From what I have gathered that in certain circumstances we are not allowed to reveal or disclose the privacy or the secret information of others. While in some other cases, it becomes our duty to reveal or share the information of other for the general benefit. That disable child or the child who has never received any kind of assistance in his whole lifetime needs to be known and his background should be as a book for his teachers so that they can do the best to help him continue his next stage of life. Thanks, Mr. Mishaikh for this educational topic.

• Hi Dara Gino! I wanted to say exactly what Mishaikh explained:) But I still can add that our decision must depend of good sense. Especially when it is something very importand of lifechanging!

• Sometimes circumstances put in our access to some privileged information.  As a doctor we may see personal records and learn private information about patients, or as a teacher we may know which children do and do not receive child care assistance.  In most cases, it is must to keep sensitive personal information private.  This is called ‘confidentiality’. It means not sharing this information with others beyond what is required by your nature of work.  Keeping confidentiality protects and shows respect for children, families, coworkers and or any individual.

Confidentiality does have some limits, for example as a teacher you can/should share information about children and families with certain co-workers for reasons relevant to the job.  You may inform other staff members about certain temperament of superiors so that your colleagues will also be able to cope up with them in a appropriate manner. As a teacher if you have some children with some disabilities or emotional set back you can share this information with your co-workers up to the limit of handling these kids in way they should be. This “breach of confidentiality’ help the staff to carry on with their respective work in a calm and relaxed atmosphere.

In most of the other cases, it is unacceptable to break confidentiality, for example you should not gossip with your coworkers, friends about the personal matters of others, which they would not like to share.  These practices are unethical.  If they happen to know you have broken confidentiality, they may feel betrayed.  Their resulting suspicion could cause long-term damage to your relationship with them.

This reply was deleted.