Replies

• but u know in that sentences there is kinda force in fact.for me that was starting living lonely in an other city.do u still believe that i'd better write like that?

thank u kisses and happy birthday:)

• Dear Rey! I am sure, that "i'd like" is better if you express your desire (and I got your sentence that way). But if you mean that something forces you to those actions, "have to" is correct. On the other hand, in this case "know" is wrong :). Then, instead of "know" you should say " get acquainted" or "learn". Finally, your sentence should read like this:

I have to get acquainted with new people, to live with them...

Thanks for congratulations!

•  

I have difficulty using preposition in sentences. I tried to answer the preposition quiz here in EC but I want to practice more. Will you be able to help me?

Thanks in advance!

• Dear Blesie! Read the discussion "Prepositions" in this group. It may help you a little. I can explain you some prepositions but you should tell me which ones

•  

hi Tanya i'd like for you  answer this question . my ambition watching documentary of animals. the speaker say "wolf pay no regard for human feeling " why doesn't he say dosen't  instead of no?

• Dear Alhgag! I have just answered to your question on the main page of my group. Please, read it there, OK?

• Hi, Tanya !

Nice to meet you again !

I met some problems when use some english word and phrases such as "beside, as well as.." .

I don't know they are the same or not.

For example, in the following sentences which one is correct?

1.I have a new house as well as a new car.

2.I have a new house , beside i have a new car.

Could you explain me more details about them (above word and phrases)?

Thank you very much !

Have a great day!

• Dear Pham! First of all, you should have written "Nice to see you again" because we have known each other for some time. In the context of your sentence "meet" means "get acquainted". So, it is incorrect because we are acquainted. As to your question.

"as well as" and "besides" can hardly be considered as synonyms. Your second sentence is much better that the first. Both are correct but the second one conveys your idea more precisely. Let me think how to explain it, OK?

• Dear Pham! First of all, I wouldn't use "therefore" in those sentences. In the first one I would say

The exam was so difficult that i couldn't finish it completely.

In the second one I would use the following construction:

The exam was quite difficult. So (or "that is why")  i couldn't finish it completely.

"quite" is a synonym of "rather". In the second sentence you can use rather instead of quite. We should use "so" before adjectives and adverbs to emphasize  them. But we should use "such" to emphasize nouns. Compare:

The day was so nice that I couldn't stay at home

It was such a nice day that I couldn't stay at home

"Quite" and "rather" are different from "so" and "such". They state that something or someone are good (or bad) to some extent. Please, compare the following example with the previous ones.

The day was rather (quite) nice for going out.

Have you got the idea? If not, just ask me again

• I want to know if you may correct the following sentences. I've joined Practice Engish with Tanya. Now that I have found this discussion site, I want to start inproving grammar, vocabulary.
This reply was deleted.