Replies

• what are the simple complex sentences
  • Yes, it's clear. Thank you very much.
  • Hi, Curious! There is no great difference. As to grammar, both options are right. The difference is in emotional intonation. "Don't you like..." means "I wonder/doubt/ you don't like it". "Do you not like it?" is just a question about someone's dislikes. The latter is less emotional. Is it clear?

curious said:
    Hi, Tanya. I have a question. What is difference between "Don't you like..?" and "Do you not like..?" Thanks for your help.
    Have a nice day.
  • Hi, Tanya. I have a question. What is difference between "Don't you like..?" and "Do you not like..?" Thanks for your help.
    Have a nice day.
  • Hi, Tanya.
    Thank you very much .
    Now I understood the way to use the verb "Send".
    I don't know more about Turkey, but I think it is a beautiful place.
    I come from Vietnam, and I want to suggest you a beautiful palce in my contry for travelling, it is Sapa. I hope in near future you will come there, and enjoy your vacation. And I'll become a guide tour for you.
    Today , I want to study the verb tenses . And ofcourse I need you to help me.
    My friend told me that, I have to find a short story that was wrote in the present tense, and after that write it in the past tense, and future tense.
    But I don't know how to find it.
    Could you help me?
    Please give me a story in the present tense . After that I will write it in the past tense and you will support me to correct it.
    Thank !
    Have a great day.

Tanya said:
    Hi, Pham! My vacation was just great. I was in Turkey, Georgia and Sochi, a great Russian resort at the Black sea. As to your question.

to send is an infinitive; sent is either Past Simple form or Past Participle Passive, send is a present form in Simple tense. We can also use this verb in the Continuous tense. Here are a few examples:

I am sending you a letter (now) (Present Continuous)
    I often send letters to my friends (Present Simple)
    I sent you a letter yesterday (Past Simple)
    Have you got the letter sent by me a few days ago? (Past Participle, passive)

Pay attention to how we use the preposition "to" before the indirect object. The rule is the following: if the indirect object is the first to come after the predicate, it is used without "to". For example:

Send me a letter. (me is an indirect object, letter is a direct one)

If the indirect object comes after the direct one, there should be "to" before it:

Send a letter to me.

Both sentences are correct but the structure

indirect object + direct object

is better when both objects are simple, i.e., consist of one word.

However, there is one case, when we must use only such word order

direct object + to + indirect object

It is the case when both objects are pronouns:

Bring them to me
    Send it to him
    Don't tell that to me

Is it clear now?

Trai Pham said:
    Hi, Tanya.
    How are you today?
    How about your vacation?
    Today I want to ask you a question about the verb " Sent"
    I often write " Sent to" when I sent an email to my friend. But I don't know it is correct or not.
    How do we use this word ? "Send to you " or " Send you " is correct.
    Please help me to use this word right.
    Thank you very much!
  • Hi, Borken Heart! Are you kidding? Where is your question?If you want to ask something, make yourself clear, please!

Borken_Heart said:
    Hi dear Tanya,
    Thank for replying ,I read it but in the end you wrote for me"If it is not clear enough, you may ask more questions." that is why I ask again...hahagha

Tanya said:
    Hi, Borken heart! I have already ansvered this question. Please, read my answer on the discussion "A/THE' in this group

amber said:
    hi Tanya: i have a problem about "the". i always make some mistake on "the". I want to know where should add "the" or where not allowed!
    thank you!
  • Hi, Pham! My vacation was just great. I was in Turkey, Georgia and Sochi, a great Russian resort at the Black sea. As to your question.

to send is an infinitive; sent is either Past Simple form or Past Participle Passive, send is a present form in Simple tense. We can also use this verb in the Continuous tense. Here are a few examples:

I am sending you a letter (now) (Present Continuous)
    I often send letters to my friends (Present Simple)
    I sent you a letter yesterday (Past Simple)
    Have you got the letter sent by me a few days ago? (Past Participle, passive)

Pay attention to how we use the preposition "to" before the indirect object. The rule is the following: if the indirect object is the first to come after the predicate, it is used without "to". For example:

Send me a letter. (me is an indirect object, letter is a direct one)

If the indirect object comes after the direct one, there should be "to" before it:

Send a letter to me.

Both sentences are correct but the structure

indirect object + direct object

is better when both objects are simple, i.e., consist of one word.

However, there is one case, when we must use only such word order

direct object + to + indirect object

It is the case when both objects are pronouns:

Bring them to me
    Send it to him
    Don't tell that to me

Is it clear now?

Trai Pham said:
    Hi, Tanya.
    How are you today?
    How about your vacation?
    Today I want to ask you a question about the verb " Sent"
    I often write " Sent to" when I sent an email to my friend. But I don't know it is correct or not.
    How do we use this word ? "Send to you " or " Send you " is correct.
    Please help me to use this word right.
    Thank you very much!
  • Hi, Borken heart! I have already ansvered this question. Please, read my answer on the discussion "A/THE' in this group

amber said:
    hi Tanya: i have a problem about "the". i always make some mistake on "the". I want to know where should add "the" or where not allowed!
    thank you!
  • hi Tanya: i have a problem about "the". i always make some mistake on "the". I want to know where should add "the" or where not allowed!
    thank you!
  • Hi, Broken Heart! Does it hurt to feel that way? :)

Anyway, let me answer to your question.

First of all, you should separate those words in two groups:

1. despite, in spite of

2. Although, even though, though

Group 1

Both words mean the same but "despite" is "more American", though. They are used in the same constructions:

despite (in spite of) + noun/noun phrase/gerund

Examples:

I went out despite the rain (noun)
    He went to work in spite of being sick (gerund)
    I bought the car despite its price (noun phrase)

Group 2

All three words have almost the same meaning and are used in the same constructions:

Although
    Even though + the main clause
    Though

The main claus can come the first. It makes no difference like in all other sentences.

Examples:

I went out although it was raining.
    Even though he was sick, he went to work.
    I bought the car although its price was rather high.

"Even though" is more emotional, so to say.
    "Though" is also used in different way . If it is placed at the end of the sentence, its meaning is close to "However" at the beginning.

Examples:

My fridge is empty. I am hungry, though.

Compare with:

I was hungry. However, my fridge was empty.

If it is not clear enough, you may ask more questions.
    Borken_Heart said:
    Hi Tanya,
    How are you? I have question?
    How to use(Inspite of ,although,though,dispite and even though ) in the senteces...?

Thank you...
This reply was deleted.