Replies

• Dear Farid! First sentence is incorrect. You can say:

Yesterday your name crossed my mind (came into my mind)

The second one would be right if you use Past Simple: remembered

faridahmad_Afghan said:
    Hello Tanya,
    i have a question,

1-I came your name on my mouth yestarday.
    2-I remember your name yestarday.

could you tell me which sentence is correct?

farid ahmad
  • Hi, Pham! Your sentence is correct. However, this word is seldom used in this case. It is mostly used to describe something sufficiently good, important, or interesting to be treated or regarded in the way specified:

That museum is worth visiting.
    That book is worth reading.

We also use "worth" to describe people having income or property amounting to a specified sum:

She is worth £10 million

Trai Pham said:
    Hi, Tanya .
    Thank you very much!
    It's clear.
    I have a word "Worth", but I don't know how to use it correctly.
    For example, can I say "One dollar is worth about 20,000 VND "?
    Is it correct?
    Please explain me the details of this one, and give some others example.

Thank you, Have a nice day!
  • Dear Fatih! The Passive voice means that an action is done by an object, not by a subject. Just compare:

I told him to call (Active Voice. I (subject) did it)
    He was told to call me ( Passive Voice, someone else (object) told him)

As to the details, you should consult grammar books. I am sorry, I can't rewrite them there. You should ask more particular questions in the future, OK?

fatih said:
    hallo ı want to learn passive sentences
    can you help me please
    take care
    bye
  • Hi, Pham! The preposition "by" is use as a preposition of location, action, time and as an abstract one. In your sentence you mean time. First of all, we say "this afternoon" or just " the afternoon". Then, "show the details" is not good word combination. It is better to say "tell (explain, have, get) the details". Besides, "by" is not good in this sentence, either. Its meaning "slipping away", so to say. I would say:

You will get the details by the afternoon.
    Or
    You will have been told the details by the afternoon.

In this case, "by" means that some action had been or will have been over before the mentioned moment came (comes).

Is it clear?

Trai Pham said:
    Hi,Tanya , Please explain me the details of the preposition "By".
    Can I say : "I will show you the details by today afternoon". Thanks!
  • Hi, Salem! I am sorry it took me so long to answer. You see, we had Christmas holidays till Jan. 11. So, I am back at last! Well, it is a very good question. You sentences are right. In all other tenses independently of the voice in the second part must be used the auxiliary of the appropriate tense and voice. For example:

He has been told about that and so have I (Present Perfect, Passive)
    I am a teacher and so is he (Simple Present, Active)

If there is a modal verb in the first part of the sentence, the same verb should be used in the second part.

He should go there and so should I
    I will go there and so will he
    I can drive and so can my sister

There is a negative form that is constructed according to the same rules but "so" is replaced by "neither". In this case the auxiliary in the second part should be in the affirmative form:

I don't like to stay in bed late and neither does my daughter.
    He hasn't been invited to the party and neither have I.
    She can't drive and neither can I.

Have I answered to your question? If not, please, ask again. I am always ready to help.

salem said:
    Dear Tanya
    In fact ,I would like to know about more info.about the following sentences and the rule relating to as follows: He plays football and so do I. She jumped down and so did I.However ,I would like to have the other tenses (will,would,can,could,should,etc);I mean the correct repalcement and also if the sentences are in the negative case(he does not come today,and so do I or do not I.
    Best Regards
  • Dear Tanya
    In fact ,I would like to know about more info.about the following sentences and the rule relating to as follows:
    He plays football and so do I.
    She jumped down and so did I.
    However ,I would like to have the other tenses (will,would,can,could,should,etc);I mean the correct repalcement and also if the sentences are in the negative case(he does not come today,and so do I or do not I.
    Best Regards
  • The passive voice means that an action is fulfilled by an object. Here are a few examples in different tenses:

I am told I am a good teacher (Present Simple)
    The house is still being built (Present Continuous)
    He has been invited to the party (Present Perfect)
    We were told to wait (Past Simple)
    When I came back, my house was still being remodeled (Past Continuous)
    He had been warned about danger before he undertook that trip (Past Perfect)
    This work will be done by noon (Future Simple)
    The work will have been done before I leave for vacation (Future Perfect)

There are only 8 tenses in the passive voice. They are used like in the active voice. Instead of Future Continuous we use Future Simple. Instead of perfect continuous we use perfect simple.

fatih said:
    hallo ı want to learn passive sentences
    can you help me please
    take care
    bye
  • Hi, Riya! I am sorry, it was my misprint. It should be "try"

RIYA said:
    Hi Tanya
    I have a question.I have read your reply to mona .
    I trie_ to speak well
    its trie or tire
    Which one is right or it should be....
    I have tried to speak well... ..or....... I try to speak well
    I am little confuse .will you please explain me this .
  • hallo ı want to learn passive sentences
    can you help me please
    take care
    bye
  • Hi, Mona! Nice to meet you! Happy New Year to you!

First of all, let me correct your comment (corrections are in bold).

I hope you will be( or you are fine) fine
    and happy New Year! May all your dreams come true in 2010.
    Dear Miss Tanya.
    I think my English is not good. I trie_ to speak well but I can't.
    I have many foreign_friends from different countries but when I talk to them I don't feel confident. Can you help me, please?

Most of your mistakes are grammar ones. Besides, it is obvious you have little practice. Please, read what I have written on the first page of this group. If you still have questions, ask me again.

Mona H. El Tanatwy said:
    Hi
    how are you ? i hope to be fine and happy new year , I hope all your dreams come true in 2010.Dear Miss Tanya
    i think my English not good and i tried to speak well but i can't
    i have many friends foreigner from different countries but when i speak with them i fell i have no confidence in my self
    please can you help me ?
This reply was deleted.