Replies

• Hi, Mohid! In the situation you have described it is better to use the formal language, i.e., the first sentence. However, it is not finished. You should say:

I have done (or finished) this work (or that)

or

The work has been done (finished)

As to the second sentence, it is correct but it is informal English. We usually use this expression in our everyday life in the same situations. It is often used at the table when we want to say that we have finished eating (i.e., will not eat anything more). It can also be used in other casual situations. For example:

"Are you still fixing your car?"
    "No. I am done. We can start out."

Mohit Vig said:
    Hi Tanya, one question is coming in my mind. Like, if I am in office and I have completed my assigned work. Then, what I will say

I have finished
    OR
    I am done

Why. Please explain
  • Hi, Farid! Well, that is correct if you write what you mean. This expression means that you are sorry about not having a possibility to learn English from me in the past. Actually, it sounds like the lost opportunity in the past that can't be used now. Have you meant that?

faridahmad_Afghan said:
    hello Tanya, how are you? hope you be happy and fine.

if i say ,
    1- i wish i could have learning english from you. is it right?

thank you

farid
  • Hi Tanya, one question is coming in my mind. Like, if I am in office and I have completed my assigned work. Then, what I will say

I have finished
    OR
    I am done

Why. Please explain
  • Hi, Farid! Happy New Year!

Well, "he is crazing me" is not correct. You should say "He drives me crazy".
    As to the other sentence, you should use the Present Perfect Tense, i.e. "has come"

faridahmad_Afghan said:
    hi Tanya,
    if i say ,he is crazying me , is it correct ? and also if a person came one minute before to my home. and i say like this ,
    1- he came to my home or can i say like this.

2- he has come to my home .now you tell me which one of these 1 and 2 sentences is correct?

thank you...

faridahmad
  • Hi, Trai Pham! You see, abbreviations are the hardest thing to translate. I think that in the given context it may mean "members of parliament" if it was on BBC news. Well, you asked to correct your reply. So, here you are.

I read all your comments and they are useful for me.
    I sometimes read the BBC news and there was a word which I don't know _
    Could you explain me the word " MP " in this sentence "Six months on from the MPs' expenses scandal just what has changed?"
    What does it mean?
    And, please, correct my reply.

It is not bad in general. Don't try to use too many words and pay more attention to the number of nouns.

Trai Pham said:
    Hi ,Tanya.
    I read all your comments and it is useful to me. I sometimes read the BBC new and there was a word which I don't know what it means.Could you explain me the word " MP " in this sentence "Six months on from the MPs' expenses scandal just what has changed?"
    What does it mean?
    And please correct my reply.

Thank you very much!
    Pham Trai.
  • Hi, Yus! Let me answer to your questions.

1. You seem not to know the Tenses at all. You can't say "I do not sad". There is no sence. You can say :"I am not sad" (it is the Simple Present Tense because we can't use "to be" in the Continuous Tense). The second exampe allows me to explain these tenses. "I am not working" means that you are not working at the moment or you don't have a job but it is temporary. "I don't work" means that you don't work at all and you are not going to. The Present Simple Tense describes a regular or, so called, habbitual action. The Present Continuous Tense describes a progressive action, or an action in progress.

2. As to the articles, there is a discussion "A/the". You can't say "a love, a life". That is incorrect. We can use "a" only before countable nouns.

Well, as to your teacher. I have no idea about his English and his character. As to me, wrong use of an article will be a mistake. Natives usually say it is better to omit an article that to use it where it shouldn't be. But it related to the oral speech only. When we write we have to follow all grammar rules. It is so called Standard Written English.

yus said:
    hi tanya, i have several questions.

1) what's the different between "i am not sad" and " i do not sad"/i am not working and i do not work.
    2) when do we use "a/an" in a phrase. i have observed many phrases in english book or movie, there were many contradictions, eg: "this is an unconditional love" but sometimes, "this is unconditional love". another eg: this is an unhealthy life and this is unhealthy life.

if we make mistake in examination regarding to the question number 2, is that a big deal?english is not native language for me nor my examiners. so, could they spot the mistakes? because i think its not a big deal for non-native. or it is?
  • hi tanya, i have several questions.

1) what's the different between "i am not sad" and " i do not sad"/i am not working and i do not work.
    2) when do we use "a/an" in a phrase. i have observed many phrases in english book or movie, there were many contradictions, eg: "this is an unconditional love" but sometimes, "this is unconditional love". another eg: this is an unhealthy life and this is unhealthy life.

if we make mistake in examination regarding to the question number 2, is that a big deal?english is not native language for me nor my examiners. so, could they spot the mistakes? because i think its not a big deal for non-native. or it is?
  • Hi, Fatih! Nice to meet you. You can ask your questions.

fatih said:
    hallo
    ı want to learn english
    bu very difficult
    can you help me please
    ı have need learn
  • hallo
    ı want to learn english
    bu very difficult
    can you help me please
    ı have need learn
  • Dear Alhashdi! What do you mean by "mean verb"? There is no such a term. If you mean the main verb, it is "write" in your last sentence.

alhashdi said:
    hi,Saniya fatima..according to ur first example,, it shows the passive form for present perfect tense..just follow this rule for that thing(it,she,he with has +been+past participle)..whereas You,They,We,I with have+been+past participle) for example,{the magazine has been sold by millioms people} or{forms soccer have been played for thousands of years}.. thanks,,i'm alhashidi,haaaa

saniya fatima said:
    i get stuck that why r we using ( it has been done) while on the other side using (it has been raining) i know the 2nd example is present perfect cont tense .. but what about the 1st one??
This reply was deleted.