Replies

• Hi, Poor love! You should use gerund but there are 2 other mistakes.

1.We should use "the" before the names of organizations where we work or study. The exception is: school (without article)
    2. In this sentence you obviously need different tense. Most probably, it is the Present Perfect Tense. It may be The Simple Past if you mean the past action.

So, the correct sentence is:

I have started (or started) going to the university.

poor_love said:
    hello dear Tanya, if i say, i start going to university. or if i say, i start to go to university. which one is correct?

thank you

farid ahmad
  • Rafael! No! In this case you should say "the first room". Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I'll try again.

"One" is the word we use instead of any other count noun. It is mostly used as an artificial subject because there must be a subject in any English sentence. For example:

If one doesn't know the traffic regulations, one shouldn't drive.

Also, we use "one" if we don't want to repeat the noun to avoid tautology.
    However, there is redundancy in your sentence, that means you have used a few words with the same meaning. "One" replaces the word "room". So, you should say:

The first room is terrific.

or

The first one is teffific (if there is a previous sentence with the word "rooms")

If it is not clear, I can give more examples

Rafael Canteri said:
    Okay. Thanks for our help.
    So, I just should use when I do not want to repeat the previous noun. if I use: "The first one room is terrific."With out previous say 'room', then the sentence would not be correct. Right?
    Thx a lot

Tanya said:
    Hi, Rafael! These expresions are right but you should use "the" before them. You can use them as other nouns when you don't want to repeate the previous noun. For example:

There are two rooms in my apartment. The first one is a living room, the second one is a bedroom.

Rafael Canteri said:
    Hello,
    My question is: Are the expressions "first one"; "second one" and "third one" correct?
    and if yes
    How should I correctly use these expressions?

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • Okay. Thanks for our help.
    So, I just should use when I do not want to repeat the previous noun.
    if I use: "The first one room is terrific."
    With out previous say 'room', then the sentence would not be correct. Right?
    Thx a lot

Tanya said:
    Hi, Rafael! These expresions are right but you should use "the" before them. You can use them as other nouns when you don't want to repeate the previous noun. For example:

There are two rooms in my apartment. The first one is a living room, the second one is a bedroom.

Rafael Canteri said:
    Hello,
    My question is: Are the expressions "first one"; "second one" and "third one" correct?
    and if yes

• Hi, Rafael! These expresions are right but you should use "the" before them. You can use them as other nouns when you don't want to repeate the previous noun. For example:

Rafael Canteri said:
    Hello,
    and if yes

• Hello,
    and if yes

• Dear Farid! I am sorry to say that but most of your senteces are incorrect. Let's analyze them.

1. In this sentence you want to say that someone was able to answer to your question although it took him some time, right? In this case, your sentence is senceless because you have to say that the action took place at last and your sentence contradicts real action. So, it must be:

At last, you could answer to my question.

2. First of all, the negative predicate contains a mistake. It must be couldn't have called (we always place not after the first word of a compound predicate). This sentence makes sence if you mean what you write. This sentence means that she was not able to call if she even wanted to. She didn't have such a possibility.

3. There are 2 mistakes in this one. It must be:

She could have tought me English.

Again, it makes sence if you mean that. The meaning is: She was able to teach you but she didn't. Shame on her!

4. There are mistakes again. a)taken(you need Past Partciple, Passive); b) a photo ( or photoes). The idea is right but there is no need to add "but he didn't". The form of the predicate, itself, points out to that fact. As a result, the sentence must be:

He could have taken photoes. (as I speak American I would say "pictures")

5. It would be right if there were no "but he didn't come". Besides, you omitted an article. Explanations are the same as in 4. The right sentence is:

He could have been coming to the party

Any more questions?

faridahmad said:
    if i say like this , Tanya,

1- at lest you could have answer to my question,
    2- she could have not called me .
    3- she could have learnt english to me .
    4-he could have took photo but he did not do.
    5- he could have been coming to party but, he did not come.

thank you Tanya for last answer to my questions...

farid ahmad

Tanya said:
    Hi Farid! In the Passive voice we use all modal verbs in the same way. The following are patterns and examples.

1. Modal verb + infinitive
    (the Present and Future, except could)

Active:

I must do that
    I could drive last year (I was able to do it last year, the Past)

Passive:

It must be done (obligation)
    It can be done (possibility or abilty in the present or the future)

I don't see any passive with could + infinitive. It may be, but....doesn't sound right.

2. Modal verb + Perfective (i.e, have + past participle, passive)
    (the Past)

Active:

He could have called me! (he could, but he didn't)

Passive:

I could have been called ! ( But it didn't happen)

I am not sure I've answered to your question. If not, then ask me once again.
  • Here are my corrections.

Now I am working as an Admin officer at(for)a multinational company __ __. I have got normal salary, but my English is not good. I wish __ to improve my English. plz corect my English grammar.

Javaid Iqbal said:
    I am working in a multinational company now , as Admin officer , I have got normal salary, but my English is not well I wis I have to stronge my English. plz corect my English grammar?
  • Dear Javaid! I am sorry for not answering earlier. I mightn't have noticed your comment. I receive so many messages and comments that it sometimes takes me a week to answer. Anyway, I am glad to help you with grammar like I help others. First of all, read what I said on the first page of my group. There is some useful information. I can email you the second part of Murphy's grammar but you also need the first one for your grammar is really poor. You can also find a lot of useful information if you read my comments on this discussion.

As to your question.
    1. a)We use should in the present to express an advice. For example:

You should do that now (In fact, it is an order but it sounds soft, like an advice. It is polite and acceptable in any situation)

You shouldn't do that (In fact, it is a ban, prohibition but sounds soft)

b) in the Past, we use should + perfective to express soft criticism:

You should (shouldn't) have done that (but you didn't (did)). Such a construction contradicts the real action (see comment in the brackets).

2. Would is a modal verb expressing a desire. It has many uses. Here are some of them:

a) in the Present we use would + infinitive :

- when we ask people about some favor that can be complied easily.

Would you open the door, please?

- to express our desire in a soft form:

I would like to have some drink.
    I would like him to call.
    It would be great to be there.

- to state that some device or equipment is out of order:

The lift wouldn't operate.

- to express some regular action or a habbit in the past that doesn't take place now:

I would smoke (but I quitted. I don't smoke now)
    Being on a vacation I would get up late (Vacation is over. Now I have to get up early)

- in the unreal conditions in the Present and Future:

If I knew her phone #, I would call her (I don't know the number, so I can't call)

b) in the Past we use would + perfective

- when we want to say that some device or equipment was out of order in the Past:

The lift wouldn't have worked yesterday.

- in the unreal conditions in the Past:

If he had been here (that time), he would have helped. (He was not here that time and so he didn't help)

Is it clear? If not, please, feel free asking me other questions.

Javaid Iqbal said:
    I want improving grammar and speaking english , I am using of words , should and would , plz say , where I used the above words.
  • Hi Farid! In the Passive voice we use all modal verbs in the same way. The following are patterns and examples.

1. Modal verb + infinitive
    (the Present and Future, except could)

Active:

I must do that
    I could drive last year (I was able to do it last year, the Past)

Passive:

It must be done (obligation)
    It can be done (possibility or abilty in the present or the future)

I don't see any passive with could + infinitive. It may be, but....doesn't sound right.

2. Modal verb + Perfective (i.e, have + past participle, passive)
    (the Past)

Active:

He could have called me! (he could, but he didn't)

Passive:

I could have been called ! ( But it didn't happen)

I am not sure I've answered to your question. If not, then ask me once again.
  • Hi, Farid! The right one is:

If you swim in the sea, you will drown there

First of all, we must use "the" before "sea" and other water pools and water basins. Besides, you should use the word "drown" if you mean people or aminals. There was one more mistake. You tried to use Passive voice in the main clause but
    1) you need Active voice in this sentence
    2) the form of predicate was incorrect anyway

faridahmad said:
    hallo Tanya, is this sentens is correct?
    1- if you swim in sea , you will be sink in the sea.thank you

farid
This reply was deleted.