Replies

• hi
    how are you doing
    i was wondering to sak this question that one of my friend asked me and i was not able to reply it so i would appriciate your answer
    this is my question :
    ali is my student
    in this sentence ali is subject and my student is object , i want to know what will difrence if i say my student is a
  • Here is the brief description of The Past Perfect Tense.

We use the Past Perfect Tense when:
    a) an action had been over by the stated time moment in the past:

I had finished translating that article by the end of the last week.

b) an action had been over before the other one took place (or one action was earlier than the other):

When I came home, my brother had already left. (i.e., first, my brother left, then I came)

What is confusing about the Past Perfect Tense? Please, aske me particular questions.

Love_garden said:
    hi Tanya , how are you , this me love garden new friend in this group. i have you to tell me about past perfect tense i have problem in this tense would you mind giving me some information please?

have a nice day

love garden
  • Dear Sheen! You are welcome. I also invite you and other members of my group to join my discussion "Writing an essay" in "Writing Skill" group (See the reference on the left of my page)

Tanya

Sheen Akhtar said:
    Dear Tanya

I would like to jion groups because I need lots of writing practice.

Have nice time
  • Dear Judith! First of all, read the information on the top of the first group's page. There are mentioned a few useful sites. I will also give you more addresses but I have to collect them first.

Judith Chavez said:
    Hi, Tanya I´d like to know about some websites where I can find videos, different activities, strategies that I can apply with my students at the secundary school, thank you very much. See you soon.
  • Dear Raffy! Answering to your question I have to say the following:

1. The form of the verb "to be" in the Simple Tenses, i.e., "am, is, are, was, were" are the linking verbs.

2. "to be" is an Infinitive. "Being" can be either Gerund or Present Participle, Active. We use these forms exactly like all other infinitives, gerunds and participles. For example:

He is considered to be a good tennis player (infinitive)
    I went to work despite being sick (gerund)
    Being invited to the party I agreed at once (participle)

"Being" can also be used as a part of complex predicate in the Present and Past Progressive Tenses, Passive Voice.

The house is still being built.
    When I returned, my house was still being reconstructed.

3. "Been" is the Past Participle, Passive. It is used as an auxiliary or main verb in complex predicates in different Perfect Tenses and forms:

I have (had) been to the US (Present/Past Perfect Tense, main verb)
    I have (had) been waiting for him for many hours (Present/Past Perfect Progressive Tense, auxiliary verb)
    He is well-known to have been a good footballer (Perfect Infinitive, main verb)
    He admitted having been there before (Perfect Gerund, main verb)
    He knew of having been seen there the day before (Perfect Gerund, Passive, auxiliary verb)
    Having been called down he tried not to be late (Perfect Participle, Passive, auxiliary verb)

and so on.

I am not sure whether I have answered your question. Anyway, feel free asking again.

Raffy Pelonio said:
    Hi, Tanya thank you for replying.
    I'm currently in the process of moving to another state (Michigan), so I haven't found a tutor yet. I told my aunt about what I am trying to do and she told me that a friend of hers has been taking a ESL class over where she lives. I spoke with this friend of her and the school sounds promising and my aunt is going to let me live with her for a while. I am still at my own home and for the time being I just been using this website and other resource online.
    I have a grammar question that been bothering me for a while. All the grammar books I ever read brings it up in one very short chapter and never mention it again.

What does state of being mean? and exactly what kind a verb is it or is it a verb of it's own? I memorized the 8 state of being(is, am, was, were, are, be, being, beeen), but when I learned about linking verb those 8 words pop up again. Does that state of being is a linking verb?

Thanks Raffy!
  • Hi, Tanya I´d like to know about some websites where I can find videos, different activities, strategies that I can apply with my students at the secundary school, thank you very much. See you soon.
  • Judith! I am mailind you idioms right away.

Judith Chavez said:
    Hi, Tanya, I´m Judith Chavez from Sinaloa and I want to ask you, if you can send me by e-mail that book that you mentioned, that you shared with others members, my e-mail is Judith.chavez17yahoo.com.mx. I´d like to get the others you said but I don´t know if I can find them here in the book stores or if they are very expensive. Thank you very much and nice to meet you. Bye.
  • Ragupathi! The Future-in-the-Past Tenses describe actions that at some moment in the past were in the future(i.e., future in the past) but that are in the past at the moment when you say the sentence. For example:

A week ago he said he would call me the next day (Let's say, today is Saturday. Then this sentence means that last Saturday he said he would call you on Sunday. But the week passed and now Sunday is in the past)

In this group of tenses there are 4 different forms of a predicate as usual. However, we mostly use only Simple (see above) and Progressive forms. Here is an example of the F-in-the-P Progressive:

He said he would be lecturing at 2 p.m. the next day

The Simple and Progressive forms are used as in other groups.

ragupathi said:
    Dear Tanya,
    i struck up with future in past tense. could you please give me the clear idea and some more examples on the same.
  • Ragupathi! Both are right in the appropriate conditions.

1. "I were" is the Subjunctive Past form used in the Unreal Present Conditions and other expressions describing some unreal actions. For example:

If I were more attentive at class, I wouldn't make so many mistakes (It means that I am not attentive at class, so I make many mistakes)

2. "I was" is the Past Simple form. We use it in all sentences in the Indicative Mood. Besides, we use it in the Real Past Conditions. For example:

If I was sick, I often missed my classes (It is real condition. Everything was like that)

Is it clear now?

ragupathi said:
    Hi Tanya,
    "if i were, or if i was" which one is meaningful?
  • Kelly! "See night" is just illiterate. Right is "See you tonight".

As to inversion in the conditions.
    According to classic grammar we can use inversion only in the unreal past conditions. For example:

Had I known about danger, I would have been more careful. (Such condition means that I didn't know and was not careful)

However, living in the US I heard and even read inverted unreal present conditions. I think, it is OK in the oral speech. For example:

Were I you, I would call her!

But, you see, even my computer corrector has just pointed out to this expression as to mistake. So, I don't recommend you to use it.

Inversion in unreal conditions make them more emotional.

But you can't use inversion in the real conditions.

kelly said:
    Dear Tanya,
    When watching movies, I heard the saying "see night" (when they say goodbye to each other and expect to see at night). Is it right?

I dont know about inversion related to 3 kinds of If conditions. Please explain them to me.

Thanks
    kelly
This reply was deleted.