Replies

• Wow, guys! There are too many questions for me to answer at once. Hope, you realize that I have some other work to do. Sure, I will answer all your questions in a few days. So, I will start from the first question.
  • Hi, Tanya, I´m Judith Chavez from Sinaloa and I want to ask you, if you can send me by e-mail that book that you mentioned, that you shared with others members, my e-mail is Judith.chavez17yahoo.com.mx. I´d like to get the others you said but I don´t know if I can find them here in the book stores or if they are very expensive. Thank you very much and nice to meet you. Bye.
  • Hi Tanya,
    "if i were, or if i was" which one is meaningful?
  • Dear Tanya,
    i struck up with future in past tense. could you please give me the clear idea and some more examples on the same.
  • Hi, Raffy! Nice to meet you.

Thanks for sharing your problems with us. I'll try to answer to your question. First of all, I have to say that in general, your English is rather good. You have quite good vocabulary and, what is more important, you know how to use it. But, on the other hand, you do make grammar mistakes and you know about that. I believe, that your problem with grammar consists in the absence of system. You have learned many books by different authors and they all explained their minds differently and in different consequences. I 100% agree that most of grammar books are not good for learners because of these or those reasons. First of all, it is related to self-education. That is why when I started teaching and couldn't find right material, I wrote my own grammar book that is quite understandable for people of any age, educational background or English level. I would gladly send it to you if it were in English. But all explanations are given in our native language there. So, it is good for Russian speakers only.

Answering to your question I would recommend you to find a teacher who does not only knows grammar in detailes but also has logical turn of mind and who will be able to make a system of the separate information you have about English grammar. In fact, English grammar is very logical and not complicated. If you have any particular questions about grammar, I'll be glad to answer to them.

Raffy Pelonio said:
    I have been speaking English for about 12 years but my grammar and punctuation sucks.As I got older and planning on going into Business Law. I start to realize how important having a grammar and punctuation skills.

For the past 3 months, I been trying to improve my grammar and punctuation. Overall, I feel frustrated because it went nowhere.

I must of spent at least $100 on grammar books (thank god for return policy).

Here are the list of problems I had with all them books.

1.) Some of these authors are way over-educated. They have their PhD and the explanation are in scientific terms. How is a ESL student suppose to understand that?

2.) Some provide a better explanation of what parts of speech and punctuation is, but then provide only 3 examples and expect you to get it.

So, now here I am searching all over the Internet and I found this website and a couple of others that seem to be more useful than the books I purchased.

Basically, what I am looking for is a breakdown of the parts of speech and punctuation and plenty of exercise practice. I am a very slow learner. I have to be taken step-by-step, such as step 1, step 1.1, 1.2, etc.

I am not sure if I should continue to keep learning by myself or get a tutor or go to a local college.

Raffy!
  • Hi, Raffy! Nice to meet you.

Thanks for sharing your problems with us. I'll try to answer to your question. First of all, I have to say that in general, your English is rather good. You have quite good vocabulary and, what is more important, you know how to use it. But, on the other hand, you do make grammar mistakes and you know about that. I believe, that your problem with grammar consists in the absence of system. You have learned many books by different authors and they all explained their minds differently and in different consequences. I 100% agree that most of grammar books are not good for learners because of these or those reasons. First of all, it is related to self-education. That is why when I started teaching and couldn't find right material, I wrote my own grammar book that is quite understandable for people of any age, educational background or English level. I would gladly send it to you if it were in English. But all explanations are given in our native language there. So, it is good for Russian speakers only.

Answering to your question I would recommend you to find a teacher who does not only knows grammar in detailes but also has logical turn of mind and who will be able to make a system of the separate information you have about English grammar. In fact, English grammar is very logical and not complicated. If you have any particular questions about grammar, I'll be glad to answer to them.

Raffy Pelonio said:
    I have been speaking English for about 12 years but my grammar and punctuation sucks.As I got older and planning on going into Business Law. I start to realize how important having a grammar and punctuation skills.

For the past 3 months, I been trying to improve my grammar and punctuation. Overall, I feel frustrated because it went nowhere.

I must of spent at least $100 on grammar books (thank god for return policy).

Here are the list of problems I had with all them books.

1.) Some of these authors are way over-educated. They have their PhD and the explanation are in scientific terms. How is a ESL student suppose to understand that?

2.) Some provide a better explanation of what parts of speech and punctuation is, but then provide only 3 examples and expect you to get it.

So, now here I am searching all over the Internet and I found this website and a couple of others that seem to be more useful than the books I purchased.

Basically, what I am looking for is a breakdown of the parts of speech and punctuation and plenty of exercise practice. I am a very slow learner. I have to be taken step-by-step, such as step 1, step 1.1, 1.2, etc.

I am not sure if I should continue to keep learning by myself or get a tutor or go to a local college.

Raffy!
  • Dear Robin! I can't write books here. I am sorry. I can explain it in a few words if it is OK with you.

First of all, you should remember that all past tenses describe actions not connected with the present. Each tense describes appropriate type of action.

1. We use the Simple Past when:
    a) an action took place in the elapsed time period and we speak about it as about a fact without emphasing its duration.

I met him yesterday.
    I talked to him today at 2 p.m.

b) we mean a habitual or repeated action in the past.

When I was on business trip, I called my wife every day.

c) we enumerate different actions which followed each other in the past.

He came home late, changed, wached TV and went to bed.

2. We use the Past Progressive Tense when:
    a) an action was not finished at the particular moment in the past:

When I came home, my sister was watching TV. (at the moment when I came)

b) an action was taking place during the stated time period in the past:

I was travelling in June.

3. We use the Past Perfect Tense when:
    a) an action had been over by the stated time moment in the past:

I had finished translating that article by the end of the last week.

b) an action had been over before the other one took place (or one action was earlier than the other):

When I came home, my brother had already left. (i.e., first, my brother left, then I came)

4. We use the Past Perfect Progressive Tense when an action had been taking place for some time before the other action began.

Before I became a manager, I had been working as a clerk for a few years

It is just a short brief. To know more apply to Murphy's Grammar (see the top of my group's page) or just search for the appropriate tense in the net.

Robin Leigio Gulo said:

Dear Tanya,

I have difficulties with tenses. When i write down something in english, i always confused whether this is right or not and which tenses suitable for past activities (past tense, past perfect tense, etc.)

Thank you.

___Robin leigio Gulo___

• Dear! I can't. I need at least one more previous sentence. The expression you are asking about can't be translated correctly out of context. I am sorry.

poor_love said:
    hi Tanya how r u ?
    would you mind telling me what is the meaning of this sentence" so others may live"
    i heard this in a movie?

thank you

poor love
  • Dear Spidy! Here are the answers to your questions.

1. "find" and "found" are different verbs.

a) "find" is close to "discover". It is irregular verb (find-found-foud). Here are some examples:

I have found my keys I lost a few days ago.
    I find it difficult to communicate with foreign people. (Means, it is hard for me...)
    I can never find you at home. ( Means, yo
    u are always out)

Besides, there are many other uses of this word.

b) "found" means "create" or "establish". It is a regular verb. The example:

This company has been founded by the well-known businessman.

2. Here is your second question:

What the different between:
    1- Have you ever been to Tibet?
    2- Have you been to Tibet?

Both are right. The first one is more habitual. But there is no mistake in the second.
  • Hi!

Reporting verb is a verb belonging to a class of verbs conveying the action of speaking and used with both direct and reported speech. Reporting verbs may also be used with a direct object and with an infinitive construction and clause.

Here are a few examples:

He said: "I was busy yeasterday" (Direct speech)
    He told me he had been busy the day before (Reported speech. "Me" is indirect object)
    She explained she couldn't do that (with the clause)
    He advised to do that (with the infinitive)

The underlined words are reporting verbs.

I am really short of time now. You can also find some information here:

http://www.studypage.net/l_index.php?id=59

xxxxpapillon said:
    hi dear tanya ,
    how are you ?? i would like to ask you plz about reporting verbs ....... when we use reporting verbs such as advice and explain , it's important to know if the hearer is the direct object or he's not ....... how can we make differece between them ?? how to know if the hearer is the direct object or not ??
    would you plz explain reporting verbs ??thx

best wishes to you .... from papillon
This reply was deleted.