Replies

• Dear Gary! In fact, I can't correct your text and you know why: it is a translation. I can only write it over in my style. The following is your text with the corrections in bold of grammar mistakes only. If I delete a word or its part, I type"_". If I don't like some expression, I underline it.

The world was over yesterday. While I was sleeping. They have stolen my beloved one along with her sparkling shades. I remained alone and I heard voices. The world was over yesterday. They voiced come closer do not be
    weak-kneed.
    You have slept for long
    eras.
    The land is no
    longer dwellings. Illusion of love has abounded emotionality the era of human.
    The world was over yesterday. The world that belonged to us has gone.
    The world was over yesterday.

Let me explain. As you can see, there is the only one grammar mistake. As to expressions I've underlined.

1. "world is over". You see, if we say that someting is over it means that we know the exact time of its duration. This expression doesn't sound good for me. I would say "The life is over on this planet" or something like this.

2."sparkling shades". I am sure it is not right word combination. Maybe, "flashing (sparkling) memories" but I am not sure at all. The one you used doesn't sound right.

3. "for long eras". It is better to say "for ages".

I sincerely believe that only native speakers can correct it right. I am sorry. But, pay attention to my notes because I have a good "feeling" of English (I've been speaking it since my early childhood and lived in the US long)
  • Dear Gary! In fact, I can't correct your text and you know why: it is a translation. I can only write it over in my style. The following is your text with the corrections in bold of grammar mistakes only. If I delete a word or its part, I type"_". If I don't like some expression, I underline it.

The world was over yesterday. While I was sleeping. They have stolen my beloved one along with her sparkling shades. I remained alone and I heard voices. The world was over yesterday. They voiced come closer do not be
    weak-kneed.
    You have slept for long
    eras.
    The land is no
    longer dwellings. Illusion of love has abounded emotionality the era of human.
    The world was over yesterday. The world that belonged to us has gone.
    The world was over yesterday.

Let me explain. As you can see, there is the only one grammar mistake. As to expressions I've underlined.

1. "world is over". You see, if we say that someting is over it means that we know the exact time of its duration. This expression doesn't sound good for me. I would say "The life is over on this planet" or something like this.

2."sparkling shades". I am sure it is not right word combination. Maybe, "flashing (sparkling) memories" but I am not sure at all. The one you used doesn't sound right.

3. "for long eras". It is better to say "for ages".

I sincerely believe that only native speakers can correct it right. I am sorry. But, pay attention to my notes because I have a good "feeling" of English (I've been speaking it since my early childhood and lived in the US long)
  • Thank you very much Tanya.
    You are "A lady who rules grammar" (smile)
    I agreed with you that we shoud not speak bad about the company I work for.
    I'm thinking about it lately. Your advice is answer to my question.

Tanya said:
    Dear Yohana! First of all, it is really interesting as to my name. However, you should know that its origion in ancient Greese and in Greek it means "A lady who rules everything" or, at least keeps everything under control. I am reallly that way (Smile!)

As to your mistakes. There are not many. The following is your text with my corrections in bold.

I was asked why I'm looking for a new job. And here are some of my reasons.
    I'm looking for (some) new experience_.
    I'm looking for the job I am right for.
    The company I work for is not reliable ( because its cashflow is not sufficient, I'm afraid they will not be able to pay out my salary. My major is finances and accounting )
    I'm looking for the company I could grow with.

Now, your text is correct from the viewpoint of grammar. But if you mean your resume, I don't like the last sentence. You should never say bad about your former job. Try to explain your mind somehow differently. When you speak bad about the company you work for, it makes your new employers think that in time you will be able to say the same about their company. There are a few features of employees that are greatly appreciated by employers. They are:

1. Your educational background and your skills.
    2. Loyalty.
    3. Likebility.

If it is not clear, please ask me other questions.

Yohana Pebriola said:
    Hi Tanya,
    Do you know that "TANYA" means "ASK" in indonesia language? It is very interesting :) Would you like to do me a favour? Please correct my sentences below:
    I was asked why im looking for a new job. And here are some of my reasons.
    Im looking for a new experiences.
    Im looking for the proper job.
    The company's going concern is not good ( because their cashflow is not good, im affraid they cant pay my salary. my majority is afinance and accounting )
    im looking for the right company that i could grow with.

Thank you Tanya.
  • Dear Yohana! First of all, it is really interesting as to my name. However, you should know that its origion in ancient Greese and in Greek it means "A lady who rules everything" or, at least keeps everything under control. I am reallly that way (Smile!)

As to your mistakes. There are not many. The following is your text with my corrections in bold.

I was asked why I'm looking for a new job. And here are some of my reasons.
    I'm looking for (some) new experience_.
    I'm looking for the job I am right for.
    The company I work for is not reliable ( because its cashflow is not sufficient, I'm afraid they will not be able to pay out my salary. My major is finances and accounting )
    I'm looking for the company I could grow with.

Now, your text is correct from the viewpoint of grammar. But if you mean your resume, I don't like the last sentence. You should never say bad about your former job. Try to explain your mind somehow differently. When you speak bad about the company you work for, it makes your new employers think that in time you will be able to say the same about their company. There are a few features of employees that are greatly appreciated by employers. They are:

1. Your educational background and your skills.
    2. Loyalty.
    3. Likebility.

If it is not clear, please ask me other questions.

Yohana Pebriola said:
    Hi Tanya,
    Do you know that "TANYA" means "ASK" in indonesia language? It is very interesting :) Would you like to do me a favour?Please correct my sentences below:
    The company's going concern is not good ( because their cashflow is not good, im affraid they cant pay my salary. my majority is afinance and accounting )

Thank you Tanya.
  • Hi Tanya,
    Do you know that "TANYA" means "ASK" in indonesia language?
    It is very interesting :)
    Would you like to do me a favour?
    Please correct my sentences below:

Thank you Tanya.
  • Dear Astrid! The following is your text with my corrections in bold. If I delete a word or its part, I type "_". If I don't like some expression, I underline it. So, here you are!

Dear Tanya!
    First of all, thank you for your valuable advice.
    I wish to tell you that I am very happy to belong to your club, because I can read a lot and I can compare myself with the other members of the group. In fact, I was trying a kind of club like this, full of many interesting things to learn. As you know, I need to improve my English because of my job and I think this is the right way.
    Besides, I also find _ _ the discussion concerning _ different cultures opened by Irina to be very ineteresting. I think that it is very important to know other cultures and towns/cities.
    At the end , I wish to _ ask you kindly to correct my mistakes so that I can understand how to write _ good English.
    Thank you very much for your help, it is very important for me _.

Now, let me explain your mistakes.

1. You place an adverb in a wrong place in the sentence.
    2. You break the word order.
    3. You use the gerund instead of infinitive.
    4. You should pay more attention to the punctuation and capital letters. The latter is the must in English.

As to those expressions I have underlined. There are no grammar mistakes but they don't read right.

1. Instead of "I wish", it is better to say "I'd like".
    2. "compare myself with other members". I would say "compare my knowledge with that of other members"
    3. "I was trying a kind of club like this". First of all, you have to write it in The Past Simple Tense. Besides, you didn't make your idea clear. I would say "I tried to join other clubs like this but....".

However, despite all the mistakes you made, your English is rather good. Please, feel free asking me other questions. But on my part, I'd like to ask you and all other students to formulate your questions more precisely, OK?
  • Excuse me Noor. Your question is not clear enough. Can you ask it somehow differently.

noor said:
    hi tanya this is noor i want to ask what is actually granmmar is and it consists and it doesnt consists
  • noor said:
    hi tanya this is noor i want to ask what is actually granmmar is and it consists and it doesnt consists
  • hi tanya this is noor i want to ask what is actually granmmar is and it consists and it doesnt consists
  • Olya, it's my pleasure! You are always welcome here as well as others.

Olya said:
    Thank you, Tanya. You are a wonderful woman. You have helped me very much...:-)))))
This reply was deleted.