Replies

• Thank you, Tanya. You are a wonderful woman. You have helped me very much...:-)))))
  • Olya! I think your letter is good. I mean its idea. But there are mistakes and let me correct them (in bold). If Idelete a word or its part, I type "_". Compare the following with your original text to see the mistakes.

Dear Tom!

I have just got your letter and think I can help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. First of all, don't loose your mind. The best thing you can do is to stop worrying. Why haven't you told your parents about your problem? I think they would uphold you... As a matter of a fact, you have enough time to start revising the material. Revise the most important points. Perhaps, your friends who have already passed this examination preserved some notes on that subject. Ask your university mates to give them to you or to explain you the most difficult material you haven't understood. If I were you, I would start learning right now. Dont't waste your time. I believe in your ability. You are a clever boy and I'm sure you'll pass this exam.

Cheer up and good luck!

Your friend,
    Olya.
    (or Sincerely, Olya (it is official))

You should pay attention to Tenses and choose words more thoroughly. The word "secondly" is correct but too official for such a letter. Besides, pay attention to the punctuation in the corrected text. In general, it is not bad. Now you can hand it in. Good luck!

Olya said:
    Ok, Tanya. I'll try...

Dear Tom.
    I just got your letter and thing I can help you. I was sorry to hear about your problem. First of all don't lose courage. The best thing you can do is to stop worrying. Why don't you tell your parents about your problem? I think they would uphold you... Secondly you have enough time to start revising. Revise the most important points. Perhaps your friends who have already passsed this examination preserved some notes in this subject. Ask them to give it to you or explain you the most difficult material you haven't understood. If I were you I would begin studying write now. Dont't waste the time. I believe in your ability. You are a clever boy and I'm sure you'll pass this exam.
    I hope this help you.
    Good luck.

Tanya, if you have something to add, please do it. Thanks.
  • Ok, Tanya. I'll try...

Dear Tom.
    I just got your letter and thing I can help you. I was sorry to hear about your problem. First of all don't lose courage. The best thing you can do is to stop worrying. Why don't you tell your parents about your problem? I think they would uphold you... Secondly you have enough time to start revising. Revise the most important points. Perhaps your friends who have already passsed this examination preserved some notes in this subject. Ask them to give it to you or explain you the most difficult material you haven't understood. If I were you I would begin studying write now. Dont't waste the time. I believe in your ability. You are a clever boy and I'm sure you'll pass this exam.
    I hope this help you.
    Good luck.

Tanya, if you have something to add, please do it. Thanks.
  • Thank you very much Tanya.
    Tosin
  • Dear Tosin! Let me answer your question. We use "has" only for the third person, singular. For all other persons we use "have". Analyze the following:

I have a car.
    He has a dog.
    She has a cat. It (a cat) has green eyes.
    We have a nice house.
    You have got enough free time.
    They have no children.

Of course, "have" and "has" are the present forms.

In the Past Tenses we use "had" for all persons. For examle:

I had nice time there.
    He had to be there yesterday.

In the Future Tenses we also use the same form for all persons. It is "will have". For example:

I will have to visit the bank tomorrow.
    He will have to pass the exams next year.

It concerns all other verbs exept "to be". You see, "to have", together with "to be", is the only one verb which form for the third person, singular is irregular in the Present Tenses. For all other verbs we use endings -s or -es for the third singular person in The Present Simple Tense. For example:

I live in Kiev.
    He lives far from my place.
  • Dear Minh!I'd like to say that as for a self-learner you express your mind quite clearly. You know, you make mistakes. Reading this comment of yours I've noticed that you have problems with English Tenses. It means, that first of all you should revise this part of grammar. And, of course, I'd like to thank you and others for the warm words you tell me. It is you all who make me feel confident. Thank you, guys!

Minh Bui said:
    Hi Tanya. I'm an English self-taught leaner for a long time. I can read quite well and i can communicate with somebody in English and we've understood each other although I know i've made mistakes all the time. But I'm not confident of my English and I didn't have many opportunities to practice it. You told us if we are not confident, restart to learn Grammar again. I'll do it. After a while learning English, reading a lot of English books course, I was bored to death :-) so I stopped and began to read English novels, watch Hollywood movies and my English's getting better. Now I know I have to make my grammar knowledge stronger. I just want to say thank you for all your kind help.
  • Hi Tanya. I'm an English self-taught leaner for a long time. I can read quite well and i can communicate with somebody in English and we've understood each other although I know i've made mistakes all the time. But I'm not confident of my English and I didn't have many opportunities to practice it. You told us if we are not confident, restart to learn Grammar again. I'll do it. After a while learning English, reading a lot of English books course, I was bored to death :-) so I stopped and began to read English novels, watch Hollywood movies and my English's getting better. Now I know I have to make my grammar knowledge stronger. I just want to say thank you for all your kind help.
  • Tanya, I really appreciate your clear explanation. You are so kind.

TulipBunch_RGC455.jpg

• That is right. If you describe some past action that is not connected with the present then you should use only Past Tenses. However, if some action is taking place now or you think so or you believe it you should use Present or Future tenses. Let me give you an example.

"Yesterday I met my university-mate whom I hadn't seen for many years. He said he had gotten married and has a child. He said his family is still living in Bathlaham but they all are going to move to NYC soon. We agreed to meet again and he said he will call me tomorrow".

The above-mentioned is an example of how we use Tenses in dialogue or when we wright letters, blogs, news, etc. Is it clear? I can explain it differently.

Sweet dream said:
    Hi Tanya,
    I am a little bit confused between present tense and past tense in this passage:
    "The first day I set foot in the United States, I felt very stressed. Although I already studied English many years ago in Vietnam, I still did not understand what people were saying. They talked too fast for me to follow. Besides, Eastern and Western culture are dramatically different. Therefore, I had a very tough time to accustom to this new life."
    Is it proper that I use present tense in the bold sentence?. I think It's a true fact so I use present tense instead of past tense.
    Thank you
    sweet dream
  • Hi Tanya,
    I am a little bit confused between present tense and past tense in this passage:
    "The first day I set foot in the United States, I felt very stressed. Although I already studied English many years ago in Vietnam, I still did not understand what people were saying. They talked too fast for me to follow. Besides, Eastern and Western culture are dramatically different. Therefore, I had a very tough time to accustom to this new life."
    Is it proper that I use present tense in the bold sentence?. I think It's a true fact so I use present tense instead of past tense.
    Thank you
    sweet dream
This reply was deleted.