Replies

• What you mean are not Modal verbs. These are English Tenses. "Have to" is not a modal verb. It is so called pseudomodal verb. It means that this verb expresses the same as modal ones but its grammar is regular, i.e. we can use it in Simple and Perfect Tenses. Besides, you have to remember that pseudomadals are always followed by infinitive (not gerund!)

Indah said:
    tanya,,
    thanks for ur comment before..

i want to know how to use modals like: use "ed", "es",have,had,have been, or else same with it..
    i don't understand how to use it,actually..
  • You can find them in any grammar book

Benny Keef said:
    Hello Teacher, thanks for the explanation, but i don't understand with this "First of all, you should do many written exersises and my advice is to rewrite the full sentense." Would you like to give me, what kind of written exercise?
  • Hello Teacher, thanks for the explanation, but i don't understand with this "First of all, you should do many written exersises and my advice is to rewrite the full sentense." Would you like to give me, what kind of written exercise?
  • Dear Sandy and other members of my group! A few people asked me almost the same question. So, let me answer it only once. It is about English grammar in general. Guys, I am 100% sure that an adult person can't speak good or fluent English without knowing grammar. It is well-known fact that only very small kids can accept foreign language without knowing any rules. At the age of 7-8 they already ask "Why?". It means they are not sure and as a result they will not say that until they understand why.So, to make a long story short let me say that the better you know grammar the easier it is for you to express your mind correctly. And the idea is to speak correct English. Grammar is not some separate subject. It is "a basement" of any language. Have I convinced you? (Smile!). As to how to learn it. First of all, you need a good grammar book with a lot of exersises and keys to them.
    Of all books I know I can recommend you only one. It is Raymond Murphy's "Essential and English grammar in use" (2 books). There are also supplementary exersise books by the same author. You can easily find them in the net. They are very popular. I don't like them very much because of poor explanations but you can always ask me or other teachers if you don't understand. That is what teachers for. Now, how to memorize grammar rules. I think the answer is obvious. The more often you use it, the better you remember. Actually, each rule should become a part of your speech. First of all, you should do many written exersises and my advice is to rewrite the full sentense. It this case you will remember the full sentense, not only the word you have to insert. Then, try to say at least 3 sentenses using this or that rule. They have to be your own sentenses. After such exersising most of people usually memorize the rule and start using it in their written and oral language. There was also a question about appropriate sites in the net. Guys, I don't use them. I can tell you only addresses of the sites with the good tests. My advice is:"Don't trust everything in the net!". Nobody knows who has written this or that site. If you find something that cause your interest, please ask me to look it through first, OK? I hope, I answered your questions. If not, feel free ask me more.

Sincerely yours,
    Tanya.

sandy said:
    Hi Tanya :
    I have someproblems in grammar when i am reading rules i understand them but i can not memorize them and also how can i use the grammar rules in my writing and spoken
  • Hi, Dung! "Dear" is an adjective which means "dear, close to our heart". We can use this word in front of a noun or separately. Here are a few examples:

My dear friend!
    You are so dear to me!

In spoken English we can also say:

Hi, dear!
    My friend, dear!

but it is actually informal. We can also use an exclamation "Dear me!" in oral speach.

Dung said:
    Hi ! I am Dung. I am a new member in this web. I have just read all the comment. I think it is usful for me. I want to ask u a question. I dont know the way we use the word "dear". Some people told me that " my friend dear" or " my dear" ... and I dont understand why they use like that. Can u help me?
    Thanks for all! ^^
  • Hi ! I am Dung. I am a new member in this web. I have just read all the comment. I think it is usful for me. I want to ask u a question. I dont know the way we use the word "dear". Some people told me that " my friend dear" or " my dear" ... and I dont understand why they use like that. Can u help me?
    Thanks for all! ^^
  • Hi! Tanya
    This group discussion is absolutely helpful for us. Do you think writing skill is the strong key in English learning?. Because whenever learners write well, their vocabulary and grammar will be improved accordingly. You have any method to advise us to be good writer or any website for writing learning? It's so nice to refer from you.

Thanks a lot Tanya
    Vy
  • Besides, when you speak about money, it's better to use the expression "have got". Let me show you the difference. Here are two sentenses:

I haven't got much money ( means "now", "these days" or something like that)
    I don't have much money ( means "usually", "always", "I am poor" or.... because The Present Simple Tense describes regular action)

Is that clear?

Tanya said:
    Dear Mir! Use see, the word "money" is non-count noun. It is collective noun like "fish", "food", etc. That is why we say "How much money....". As to the word "dollar", it is count noun. So, we say "How many dollars....". Sure, we don't use such an expression. It is just to demonstrate the difference.

Mir Jalal said:
    THANK YOU for your previous reply.

How much is used for uncountable noun, then why we use how much for Money as it is countable.

Q:How much money do you have?

A:$10
  • "at the moment" and "now" are 100% synonyms. So, you can use any of them in The Present Progressive. As to the Past Progressive, we use only "at the moment" or "at that moment". Then, "right now" and "right away" are also 100% synonyms and their meaning is almost the same as "now". They are more emotional, so to say. So, we can use any of these four words in the same sentense. As to "just now", its meaning is a little different. "just" is more typical for the Perfect Tenses. Its synonym is "only now". I don't believe, I can explain the difference between "just now" and above-mentioned expressions but I'll try. It means that some action or event or...hasn't taken place before the moment when you are speaking and it is taking place only now. I am not sure it is clear. So, let me give you some examples.

I am typing at the moment (now, right now)
    I have started answering your question just now. ( means I haven't done it earlier)

Do you feel the difference? Hope so.

As a matter of fact, I haven't answered your questions earlier because I haven't noticed them! I am really sorry. I have to be more attentive. There is one more thing I'd like to say. If you, or someone else, have questions related to vocabulary (i.e., how to use some words), please, place them on the page "English synonyms", OK?

Mir Jalal said:
    When we use at the moment, now, right now and just now in Present Progressive?
  • Dear Mir! Use see, the word "money" is non-count noun. It is collective noun like "fish", "food", etc. That is why we say "How much money....". As to the word "dollar", it is count noun. So, we say "How many dollars....". Sure, we don't use such an expression. It is just to demonstrate the difference.

Mir Jalal said:
    THANK YOU for your previous reply.

How much is used for uncountable noun, then why we use how much for Money as it is countable.

Q:How much money do you have?

A:$10
This reply was deleted.