Our cultures, customs and traditions

We all live in different cultures but in the same world. And I believe it is a good idea to know more about one another's cultures and traditions. Besides it is a good written practice for you. So, let me start.Ukrainian culture is a part of East Slavic culture but it has also been influenced by some other cultures during different conquests and invations. However, it has saved its principle features till now. Today I want to show you the traditional Ukrainian costumes and to tell you about traditional Ukrainian food.National costumes are different in different regions. On the left are the pictures of Eastern and Central Ukrainian clothes.On the right are the people in the Western costumes playing national instruments.These are the costumes of the highlanders who live in The Carpathian Mountains. The main features of all Ukrainian costumes are bright colors, different decorations like stripes, artificial frowers and, of course, Ukrainian hand embroidery which is famous all over the world. It is made only by hands, usually in red and black colors that symbolize love and grief. Such embriodery decorates not only clothes but also towels which are one of the main attributes of our culture. Besides, high red boots are an obligatory integral part of our national costumую Of course, nobody wears such clothes now. You can see them mostly on national singers, dancers, musicians and actors. Regular people sometimes wear it on some ceremonial events like Independence Day when we want to show our patriotic feeling and to state that "Ukraine hasn't died yet". Those are words from our National Anthem. In our everyday life we wear casual things like jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, etc. Most of women prefer to wear tight pants here. But we sometimes put on dresses, I mean mostly cocktail dresses and evening gowns if we go to the receptions, ceremonies, etc.National Ukrainian FoodUkrainian cuisine had been formed by the middle of the 18th century. Ukrainian national recipes were significantly influenced by neighboring Polish, Byelorussian and German kitchens. Such a late formation is related to the late formation of the modern Ukrainian ethnos. Ancient Russ cuisine impact on the Ukrainian one is hardly observed as a result of the Tatar-Mongol invasions, when the connection was lost for a considerable period of time.Borsch (tomato soup with red beet and cabbage)Ukrainian cuisine is very popular among other Slavs. Many dishes like vareniki and borsch are now considered as international. Modern Ukrainian cuisine’s traditions were formed in the 19th century together with Ukraine’s contemporary bordering. Despite this now we can see some specific distinctions among cuisines of Volyn, Poltavschina, Zakarpatye and Bukovyna regions of Ukraine. Thus, Ukrainian cuisine is united by several common principles of choosing food and cooking.Vareniki (dumplings with different stuff inside: meat, country cheese, potatoes, stewed gabbages, fruits)Ukrainian cuisine has also imbibed some traits of German, Hungarian, Turkish and Tatar. For example, the father of well-known vareniki is a Turkish dish dyush-var. Ukrainians borrowed German technique of meat chopping and Ukrainians call it minced meat.Salo (pork's fat)Ukrainian cookery was also influenced by politics of early national-hood formation period of Ukraine. Versus or athwart Turks, who do not eat pork due to their religion Ukrainian Cossacks were fond of this meat, moreover they have created a cult out of pork's fat. But at the same time they fully refused to eat truly "muslim" dish - eggplants.Ukrainian national cuisine - Dinner is servedUkrainian cuisine is marked by often use of eggs, flour and vegetables. The most popular vegetables are potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, red beet, carrots, pumpkins, corn. Ukrainian cuisine folk recipes actively use such spices as garlic, onion, caraway, mint, angelica, chilly pepper, savory, cinnamon and bay leaf.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Dieu Trang! I can't tell you what your problem is. As you see, we all can post pictures. To do it, you should click an image of a camera on the panel above and add a picture from your computer. If it doesn't work, you may have some problems with Java Script. Just try to use another browser. By the way, which one do you use? If you use Opera or Explorer there are often such failures.

Dieu Trang said:
    Hi Tanya,
    Some days before, I tried to post tradition customs in my country, but I could't see where they appear, maybe I do wrong, please show me why I can post my images.
    Thanks
    Dieu Trang
  • Hi Tanya,
    Some days before, I tried to post tradition customs in my country, but I could't see where they appear, maybe I do wrong, please show me why I can post my images.
    Thanks
    Dieu Trang
  • Thanks, Robin! It is really great information!

Robin Leigio Gulo said:

Dear Tanya,

I would like to tell you about our culture in Nias Island (as in Indonesia in every province/district has a different culture and tradition, here i explain about my hometown--Nias Island). Nias island is a small island in North Sumatra and it's famous also. Our culture was influenced by Megalithic Culture. One of the famous tradition is stone jumping.

A man become a real man if he can jump this ston as high 2m or more. And Nias island is a paradise island for surfers.

And there are so many stone statue in Nias island.

Also war dances

--Robin Leigio Gulo--

• Thank you very much! It is so interesting and bright! It is quite obvious you adore your country! We all should save our traditions and history although we live in modern word. As to me, I am very modern and progressive but working with the youth I always think we have to save all these for them. Otherwise they will soon feel alians on this planet (Ha-ha!)

Muhammad Ali said:
    Dear Friends,
    Today I would like to introduce my dear motherland Pakistan to all of you.

Pakistan is located in South Asia. It consist of rich in cultural colours of its four provinces Punjab, Balouchistan and NWFP

Pakistani culture is reflected with Islamic ideology. Pakistani people are well mannered in dress like Shalwar, Kameez, Sherwani.
    There are many holidays and festivals celebrated annually in Pakistan. While Pakistan is an Islamic nation, there are also several secular holidays including Pakistan Day (23 March), Independence Day (14 August), Defence of Pakistan Day (6 September), Pakistan Air Force Day (7 September), the anniversaries of the birth (25 December) and death (11 September) of Quaid-e-Azam, Allama Iqbal (9 November) and the birth (30 July) and death (8 July) of Madar-e-Millat. Labour Day (also known as May Day) is also observed in Pakistan on 1 May.

Several important festivals are celebrated by Pakistani Muslims during the year, dependent on the Islamic calendar. Ramadan, the ninth month of the calendar, is characterised by daytime fasting for 29 or 30 days and is followed by the festival of Eid ul-Fitr. In a second festival, Eid ul-Adha, an animal is sacrificed in remembrance of the actions of Abraham and the meat is shared with friends, family, and the less fortunate. Both Eid festivals are public holidays, serving as opportunities for people to visit family and friends, and for children to receive new clothes, presents, and sweets. Some Muslims celebrate Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi, the birthday of the prophet Muhammad, in the third month of the calendar (Rabi' al-Awwal). Shia Muslims mark the Day of Ashurah on the 9th and 10th days of the first month (Muharram) to commemorate the martyrdom of Husayn bin Ali, (the grandson of prophet Muhammad).

Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Christians in Pakistan also celebrate their own festivals and holidays. Sikhs come from across the world to visit several holy sites in Punjab, including the shrine of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism. There are also several regional and local festivals, such as the Punjabi festival of Basant, which marks the start of spring and is celebrated by kite flying.

Province of sindh in also rich with cultural colors Ajarak and Sindhi Topi (Sindhi Traditional Cap) is just identity of people of Sindh.

Man with Sindh Topi

Sindhi Lok Singer (Abida Parveen) with Ajrak
    Sindhi Top and Ajrak also seems to be good gift to be given here by Sindhi people to their friends throughout the world.

NWFP is also well versed in the and rich in cultural dressed. The people with smiling faces shows their patience to face all the situation.

Woman with cultural dress

Old man with smiling face with traditional cap.

Balouchistan is also cultural one woman like to wear Ghaghra here

All provinces of Pakistan are like colours of the country.
  • Dear Friends,
    Today I would like to introduce my dear motherland Pakistan to all of you.

Pakistan is located in South Asia. It consist of rich in cultural colours of its four provinces Punjab, Balouchistan and NWFP

Pakistani culture is reflected with Islamic ideology. Pakistani people are well mannered in dress like Shalwar, Kameez, Sherwani.
    There are many holidays and festivals celebrated annually in Pakistan. While Pakistan is an Islamic nation, there are also several secular holidays including Pakistan Day (23 March), Independence Day (14 August), Defence of Pakistan Day (6 September), Pakistan Air Force Day (7 September), the anniversaries of the birth (25 December) and death (11 September) of Quaid-e-Azam, Allama Iqbal (9 November) and the birth (30 July) and death (8 July) of Madar-e-Millat. Labour Day (also known as May Day) is also observed in Pakistan on 1 May.

Several important festivals are celebrated by Pakistani Muslims during the year, dependent on the Islamic calendar. Ramadan, the ninth month of the calendar, is characterised by daytime fasting for 29 or 30 days and is followed by the festival of Eid ul-Fitr. In a second festival, Eid ul-Adha, an animal is sacrificed in remembrance of the actions of Abraham and the meat is shared with friends, family, and the less fortunate. Both Eid festivals are public holidays, serving as opportunities for people to visit family and friends, and for children to receive new clothes, presents, and sweets. Some Muslims celebrate Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi, the birthday of the prophet Muhammad, in the third month of the calendar (Rabi' al-Awwal). Shia Muslims mark the Day of Ashurah on the 9th and 10th days of the first month (Muharram) to commemorate the martyrdom of Husayn bin Ali, (the grandson of prophet Muhammad).

Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Christians in Pakistan also celebrate their own festivals and holidays. Sikhs come from across the world to visit several holy sites in Punjab, including the shrine of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism. There are also several regional and local festivals, such as the Punjabi festival of Basant, which marks the start of spring and is celebrated by kite flying.

Province of sindh in also rich with cultural colors Ajarak and Sindhi Topi (Sindhi Traditional Cap) is just identity of people of Sindh.

Man with Sindh Topi

Sindhi Lok Singer (Abida Parveen) with Ajrak
    Sindhi Top and Ajrak also seems to be good gift to be given here by Sindhi people to their friends throughout the world.

NWFP is also well versed in the and rich in cultural dressed. The people with smiling faces shows their patience to face all the situation.

Woman with cultural dress

Old man with smiling face with traditional cap.

Balouchistan is also cultural one woman like to wear Ghaghra here

All provinces of Pakistan are like colours of the country.
  • Dear Tanya,

Thank you for sharing this very interesting information. I learn a lot now about Ukrainian culture now.

Ariana ^U^
  • Welcome to Ukraine but as a civil only! (Ha-ha!)

Muhammad Ali said:
    I like it well. I am really happy to see the all pictures here specially food looks to be delicious. My mouth is watering to these multiple Ukrainian food.
  • I like it well. I am really happy to see the all pictures here specially food looks to be delicious. My mouth is watering to these multiple Ukrainian food.
  • Dear Jakaria! I am! But I prefer European kitchen.

jakaria Khan said:
    Thanks tanya, I think ur expert cook...

Tanya said:
    You are not an exeption! Most of men like it but have you ever seen our ladies who serve it?
    If you did, you would eat up everything on the table!

jakaria Khan said:
    I think"Ukrainian national cuisine" better if it is served for me. @_@
  • Thanks tanya, I think ur expert cook...

Tanya said:
    You are not an exeption! Most of men like it but have you ever seen our ladies who serve it?
    If you did, you would eat up everything on the table!

jakaria Khan said:
    I think"Ukrainian national cuisine" better if it is served for me. @_@
This reply was deleted.