Games, riddles, quizzes

Today I am starting a new discussion. I hope you will like it. It is for those who like riddles, quizzes, logical problems, etc. Here is one of them.Who goes fishing?In this riddle you must assort the information given in order to find out who goes fishing.FactsThere are 5 houses of 5 different colours: blue, green, red, white, yellowIn each house lives a person of a different nationality: American, Australian, British, Canadian, IrishEach of the 5 house-owners has a certain job: carpenter, lawyer, pilot, plumber, waiterEach of the 5 house-owners has a certain hobby: chess, fishing, football, sailing, tennisEach of the 5 house-owners has a certain pet: cat, dog, goldfish, hamster, horseNone of them have the same pet, job or hobby.Other factsThe Irishman lives in the green house.The red house is on the immediate left of the white house.The person in the red house is a pilot.The American plays chess.The Canadian is a waiter.The person with the horse lives next to the one who plays tennis.The person who goes sailing lives next to the one with the cat.The person with the goldfish plays football.The person in the blue house has a cat.The Briton has a hamster.The Australian lives next to the yellow house.The person with the horse has a neighbour who is a plumber.The person in the center house is a lawyer.The Australian lives in the first house.The dog owner is a carpenter.Question: Who goes fishing?The AmericanThe AustralianThe BritonThe CanadianThe Irishman

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Some people asked me to wait with the answer. However, here it is:

Alex, cleaning car for Mr. Trent

Chad, staining fence for Mr. Halley

Ian, mowing lawn for Mrs. Diaz

Jason, cleaning windows for Mrs. Wilson

Mir Jalal said:
    where is the correct answer? a week has passed

Tanya said:
    I will post the right answer in a week.
  • I will post the right answer in a week.

Mir Jalal said:
    1. Mr Halley --> Alex --> Mowing the lawn

2. Mrs. Wilson --> Jason --> Window-cleaning

3. Mr. Trent --> Ian --> Cleaning a car

4. Mrs. Diaz --> Chad --> Staining the Backyard Fence

I am not sure about the name in Bold format.

Tanya said:
    I see, you all like logical problems. Here is a more difficult one for you to solve!
    Last Saturday, four neighbor boys found that work goes more quickly when friends help friends: each of the four had found a job one of the neighborhood adults, including Mrs. Wilson, needed done, and the four worked together to make fast work of the chores, one of which was cleaning a car. Given the following clues, you should be able to decide which job each found and for whom the work was done.

1. Three of the friends are Alex, the one who found the job mowing the lawn, and the one who got the job from Mr. Halley.

2. Mr. Trent didn't have the job staining the backyard fence.

3. Alex didn't locate the window-cleaning job.

4. Jason isn't the boy who got the chore from Mr. Trent.

5. Mrs. Diaz didn't have the job cleaning windows; Chad isn't the friend who found the window-cleaning task.

6. Mr. Halley didn't employ the boys as window cleaners.

7. Chad isn't the boy who found the lawn-mowing job.

8. Mrs. Diaz isn't the adult who gave Alex a job.

9. The chore Ian negotiated wasn't cleaning windows.
  • Dear, you don't have to! Just pull yourself together. It is not that difficult. Try to use logic and common sense.

Sweet dream said:
    Hi Tanya,
    This is such a difficult riddle. I messed up everything when I followed the given clues :(
    I give up :(
    Sweet dream
  • Hi Tanya,
    This is such a difficult riddle. I messed up everything when I followed the given clues :(
    I give up :(
    Sweet dream
  • I see, you all like logical problems. Here is a more difficult one for you to solve!

Last Saturday, four neighbor boys found that work goes more quickly when friends help friends: each of the four had found a job one of the neighborhood adults, including Mrs. Wilson, needed done, and the four worked together to make fast work of the chores, one of which was cleaning a car. Given the following clues, you should be able to decide which job each found and for whom the work was done.

1. Three of the friends are Alex, the one who found the job mowing the lawn, and the one who got the job from Mr. Halley.

2. Mr. Trent didn't have the job staining the backyard fence.

3. Alex didn't locate the window-cleaning job.

4. Jason isn't the boy who got the chore from Mr. Trent.

5. Mrs. Diaz didn't have the job cleaning windows; Chad isn't the friend who found the window-cleaning task.

6. Mr. Halley didn't employ the boys as window cleaners.

7. Chad isn't the boy who found the lawn-mowing job.

8. Mrs. Diaz isn't the adult who gave Alex a job.

9. The chore Ian negotiated wasn't cleaning windows.
  • Here is the answer to "What am I?". Of course, these are our legs! But it was too easy, was't it?

Tanya said:
    Hi, my friends. Here is one more riddle for you.

What am I?

I do not breathe, but I run and jump.
    I do not eat, but I swim and stretch.
    I do not drink, but I sleep and stand.
    I do not think, but I grow and play.
    I do not see, but you see me every day.
  • I'd like to introduce you one more logical problem and this time I am sure there is the right answer.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Susan has invited her family to Thanksgiving Dinner. As her plates are not the best, Susan wants to buy new plates – one for each person at her Thanksgiving Dinner.

There’ll be a grandfather, a grandmother, two fathers, two mothers, four children, three grandchildren, one brother, two sisters, two sons, two daughters, one father-in-law, one mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law.

At least how many plates does Susan need to buy?
  • Dear guys! The conditoins of this problem about cats seem to be wrong. That is what I always say: "We can't trust everything posted in the net". I should have checked this problem out before posting it. Hope, you will forgive me. Anyway, someone of you may get the right answer. It's getting intriguing!

Tanya said:
    Here is one more problem for you. Check out your knowledge of math.
    Randwick Cats

Is your knowledge of maths as good as your English? Find out how many cats there are in Randwick.

In Randwick, the cats, I declare,
    They numbered one third of a square.
    If a quarter did roam,
    Just a cube would stay home.
    How many, at least, must be there?

Vocabulary
    square - x²
    cube - x³
  • foot!! is it true?
  • Here is one more problem for you. Check out your knowledge of math.

Randwick Cats

Is your knowledge of maths as good as your English? Find out how many cats there are in Randwick.

In Randwick, the cats, I declare,
    They numbered one third of a square.
    If a quarter did roam,
    Just a cube would stay home.
    How many, at least, must be there?

Vocabulary
    square - x²
    cube - x³
This reply was deleted.