My country is Ukraine

Ukraine is a European country situated in its East South, at the shore of the Black Sea. This territory was populated many centuries B.C. It was known by ancient Greeks and Romans. There are still remaineds of their settlemets here. Besides, it was well-known by Mongol Kings, Crimean Khans, TurKisk, Persians and other ancient cultures and tribes that wanted to conquer our land because of its geographical position and fertile soils. You can read more about Ukrainian history on my profile page:

http://my.englishclub.com/profile/Tanya22

Now, Ukraine is an  independent, rather well developed country that refused from the nuclear weapons and death sentence. Ukraine has always been called "The bread basket of Europe" and that is true till now. However, I would add it is "a sunflower oil basket" as well. My country is not only agricultural . It is well known due to its ferrow metals industry, pipes of great diameter, aircraft and automobile industry, bridge engineering , smartest hackers and very smart people. Ukrainians belong to the ethnic group known as the Slavs, who occupy the Eastern part of Europe.

Ukrainian culture is a part of East Slavic culture but it has also been influenced by some other cultures during different conquests and invations. However, it has saved its principle features till now. Today I want to show you the traditional Ukrainian costumes and to tell you about traditional Ukrainian food.

National costumes are different in different regions. On the left are the pictures of Eastern and Central Ukrainian clothes.

On the right are the people in the Western costumes playing national instruments.

These are the costumes of the highlanders who live in The Carpathian Mountains. The main features of all Ukrainian costumes are bright colors, different decorations like stripes, artificial frowers and, of course, Ukrainian hand embroidery which is famous all over the world. It is made only by hands, usually in red and black colors that symbolize love and grief. Such embriodery decorates not only clothes but also towels which are one of the main attributes of our culture. Besides, high red boots are an obligatory integral part of our national costume. Of course, nobody wears such clothes now. You can see them mostly on national singers, dancers, musicians and actors. Regular people sometimes wear it on some ceremonial events like Independence Day when we want to show our patriotic feeling and to state that "Ukraine hasn't died yet". Those are words from our National Anthem. In our everyday life we wear casual things like jeans, T-shirts, sweaters, etc. Most of women prefer to wear tight pants here. But we sometimes put on dresses, I mean mostly cocktail dresses and evening gowns if we go to the receptions, ceremonies, etc.

National Ukrainian Food

Ukrainian cuisine had been formed by the middle of the 18th century. Ukrainian national recipes were significantly influenced by neighboring Polish, Byelorussian and German kitchens. Such a late formation is related to the late formation of the modern Ukrainian ethnos. Ancient Russ cuisine impact on the Ukrainian one is hardly observed as a result of the Tatar-Mongol invasions, when the connection was lost for a considerable period of time.

Borsch (tomato soup with red beet and cabbage)

Ukrainian cuisine is very popular among other Slavs. Many dishes like vareniki and borsch are now considered as international. Modern Ukrainian cuisine’s traditions were formed in the 19th century together with Ukraine’s contemporary bordering. Despite this now we can see some specific distinctions among cuisines of Volyn, Poltavschina, Zakarpatye and Bukovyna regions of Ukraine. Thus, Ukrainian cuisine is united by several common principles of choosing food and cooking.

Vareniki (dumplings with different stuff inside: meat, country cheese, potatoes, stewed сabbages, fruits)

Ukrainian cuisine has also imbibed some traits of German, Hungarian, Turkish and Tatar. For example, the father of well-known vareniki is a Turkish dish dyush-var. Ukrainians borrowed German technique of meat chopping and Ukrainians call it minced meat.

Salo (pork's fat)

Ukrainian cookery was also influenced by politics of early national-hood formation period of Ukraine. Versus or athwart Turks, who do not eat pork due to their religion Ukrainian Cossacks were fond of this meat, moreover they have created a cult out of pork's fat. But at the same time they fully refused to eat truly "muslim" dish - eggplants.

Ukrainian national cuisine - Dinner is served

Ukrainian cuisine is marked by often use of eggs, flour and vegetables. The most popular vegetables are potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, red beet, carrots, pumpkins, corn. Ukrainian cuisine folk recipes actively use such spices as garlic, onion, caraway, mint, angelica, chilly pepper, savory, cinnamon and bay leaf.

Bon Appetite!

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm proud of being Ukrainian. Ukraine is a great country, a peacemaker who on its own free will refused from nuclear weapon showing the whole world that peole on our planet are crying out for PEACE AND LOVE!!!
  • delicious food. Very nice, Tania
  • How I miss this wonderful article!

Well done, dear Tanya. You wrote superbly as always.

I dare say, you've shown us a perfect view of your country. I got to know not only about Ukraine's history, but also about its food, clothing, and agriculture and people. I always admire you not only for your writing but also for the perfect selection of the photos. Dinner photo is so mouthwatering; I actually smelled the aroma of the delicious food in it by just sitting in front of  my computer. ^_*

Traditional dresses of Ukraine are very beautiful. I like them.

By the way, why do you call your country a "sunflower oil basket"? In my opinion, you must call it a "sunflower oil bucket" as it is not wise enough to put oil in a basket.... (just kidding) ^_^

And the "break basket of Europe" is really an adorable title. I just loved it.

And Oh yes, I remember that you always put very beautiful pictures of buildings of Ukraine in your blogs. Why didn't you put some here? That would make this article even more appealing, I believe.

I think, you must have become bored by now reading such a long comment of mine. So I won't bother you more.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful writing about your country with us. And please keep up the great work. Reading your writings, always brings me a great joy!

Have a great time and take care!

• I got impressed not only about Ukraine's culture but mainly from its cuisine, I'm a fun of good dishes, it's really opened my appetite hehe.

Thanks for sharing.

• Tanya you exceled to present your coutry in this wonderful way, showing mixture of elements composed your country culture; clothing, food, industry, and natural sources and so on. I admit i liked these things and im so interested in Ukrianian culture and many others, but Ukrainian tradition touches me more and takes me back somehow to Arabic Tradition especially clothing.

As for Ukrainias music, im fond of their special tunes and melodies that discrimiate them tha others, i had a special Ukrainian friend opened my eyes on your culture broadly and joyed me by multi-taste of Ukrianian songs which of are my favourite.

Thank you Tanya for this interesting presentation of your rich culture and i hope you add many others to make more opportunaties for interests to surf in your customs and Ukraine' traits.

• Dear Mohnyie! I am glad you like my presentation. It is great that you know a little about my country and like its traditions. However, Ukrainians are modern now, they don't wear national clothes and prefer Western music and movies, especially American. We all prefer to buy Western things and eat at the expensive Italian, French or Oriental restaurants and many of us cook such meals at home (I do!). But what is still alive is our national spirit, spirit of Ukrainian Cossaks that is spirit of freedom. I wonder why you relate out culture to Arabic. We have almost nothing in common. Please, no offences! Ukrainian costumes are very similiar with ones of other

East Europeans  like Romanians, Czechs, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Poles. As to our national music, it is very inordinary like our architecture. But, anyway, it is optimistic, romantic and almost always cheerful. I'd like to upload a few Ukrainian national songs as you like this kind of music.

The first song is a very famous classic love song "the night is so moony". It is sang by Alex Malinin, one of the best Russian singers of lyric songs.

The second one is the favorite so called "table song" (sang at the table during a party). It is rather old and national (no author). Its name is "Let's fill up our glasses"

The third song is also national and old. It is called "In the cherry garden". It is sang by the trio Marenichi, 2 sisters and a brother. Both the second and the third songs are in modern arrangement

Malinin_Aleksandr_-_02_-_Nich_yaka_misyachna[mp3lemon.net].mp3

_-_014_ГЕЙ__НАЛИВАЙТЕ_.mp3.mp3

trio_marenich_-_oi,_pid_vishneiu.mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2392407341?profile=original
  • Hi Tanya, it is really nice to know about your country , its culture, people , costumes and fooooood…I had read about The geography of UKRAINE but I wasn’t  acquainted  with its culture but now I am ………slightly….thanks  hope to know more about it……..buy…………………………

• The foods seem delicious, Tanya. You have a beautiful country.
This reply was deleted.