Let's DISCUSS: REDUCED ENGLISH

Hi and good morning. 

Let's discuss the problem of reducing English as a language. i want to illustrate what I mean:

Are you "FOR" or "AGAINST" such actions in any language? To my mind, when people try to make something easy and short somehow characterize them as lazy, not attentive and again lazy people. Personally I don't like when someone asks me using these reduced words and I usually ignore such messages as "HAI, H R U?" :) 

And what is your opinion?:) Thanks.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• XOXO I think this is not an abbreviation.  Please see this:

XO1

or XOXO

hugs and kisses.

Origin of XO 1
    from Xsymbol for a kiss; Osymbol for a hug
    • You are right. I saw this article:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31929/why-does-xoxo-mean-kisses-and-...

and origin comes from religious history.

Why Does "XOXO" Mean "Kisses and Hugs"?
      Whether you end a letter or e-mail with it—or you recognize it from the end of each Gossip Girl episode—“Xoxo” is commonly known to refer to the phra…
    • Read the article, but it felt to me that the meaning are deliberately being dragged out.

May be it is just a feeling. Thanks for referring to the link.

• O is a hug? i don't see it:D

• so what is "a hug" for you? 

• i have no idea. I just say that each sign looks or sounds like that what it should mean. i don't understand why O mean "hug".

• Maybe in this case O means a full circle around you :)

• Hey, a 'hug' is a hug, emotions felt by body heat and heart beat. Symbolizing it with a mere alphabet is just like to give a photograph of emotions and not the emotions themselves.

When I very first read the symbol XOXO here I could feel the taste of a 'kiss' or warmth of a 'hug'.

• I remember I used to use this when there was TELEX and the charges were on the time consumed, so we tried to make a long message short the words were contracted like this, but it was only in commercial correspondence done then through telex.

Personally I do not like to make a text using this sort of contractions. It malign the beauty of a text. I even try not to use whenever I happen to chat these days.

What impact would you have from a love letter written with such shorten words? Just imagine.

• its too difficult to know such words directly.. i mean a new chatter cannot get the exact meaning of BTW,BBL etc.. and some of these words don't show the real feeling like MYOB don't show insult.;) ILU must not show the real feeling of heart...

basic words(BBL,BRB,LOL,B4,2day etc.) can be use.. but emotional words should use be short form..

This reply was deleted.