Week 9b: Friday, 7 November 2014

(1) Mini debates: Cell phones in the classroom. We'll first have a short listening exercise when reading the debate topic; then doing new vocabulary and answering a few questions about the topic; and lastly we'll enter into debate in groups of 4 students each. You have to read through the attached worksheet to make a proper comment.

(2) News by Tara. You know now how to get to the news item (I explained the route in the previous lesson). This would only take about 5 minutes of the class. A few students would be asked to tell the class about Tara's latest news bulletin. You don't have to mention this in your comment - but pse don't forget to listen to the news and familiarize yourself with it.

M - W9b - Mini debates - Cell phones in the class.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's really a problem if one make noise in a class,espacially made by cellphones,I've seen several times when teacher get mad at it.In my oppinion,cellphones should not be used in the class unless you have something really important that need a phone call,but I'm embarrassed to say that I've done this "make teacher angry"thing through cellphones,which I tske seriously to not make this happen again.
  • The disadvantages of cell phones are more than advantages in my opinion.Although it's more convenient to contact my friends ,family and in case enmergency happens .Sometimes I may boring and I'd use my phone shopping whatever,it makes my study process less efficient.
  • In this developed age,every student has a cell phone with themselves no matter what they are doing.We almost use the cell phones all the time.So I think it's impossible to forbid to bring the phone in the class though it's harmful for us when having class.I think evev we ban taking phones,many students will not obey the rule.We should try our best to make great use of the cell phones such as looking for the meaning of words instead of chatting on line or watching movie. On the class,we should listen carefully and use phones less as far as possible.
    http://time.So/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
  • I suppose this topic is very interesting for me.Beacuse I usually use phone in the class. Wy English teacher is a forigner,so I have something not to understand.I can use it to look for the words.I think phone is very necessary.And I will not use it to do something unhelpful.
  • In my opinion,cell phone is a sensitive topic in the claass.For me,it is not important.I think using cell phone in the class is just an excuse for you want to play it.Because for new words we can just find it before or after class.And we can't promise we use it just for learning.We are different,so we can't promise everyone use it for learning.Maybe,control is much better.
  • Yse i agree with you .
  • Cell phones in the classroom make use of widely in our school.It cause to debate on whether effect students' study. In my opinion, cell phone in the classroom,this is a good english tool.then we needn't bring the dictionaries book all the time. and we can refer to the information about our study everytime . But if there is no self-control.it may be effet on our study ,we would spend more time on the cell phone.
  • Nowadays,almost everybody has cell phone and never leave in hand,with the developing of technology and the booming of economy.however,the problems of cell phones in classroom is worthy of thinking for the sake of students study in class. It's unblamable that there are such bad aspects for cell phones useing in class,which abstracts the concentration on study and harasses the order of class.Although mobile phones brought convenience to our life,we should be proper use of it.
  • In my opinion,cell phone is necessary in some classes but in other lessons is not necessary.For example,in english class it is helpful for we can use it to find the words that we don't know.It is more convenient than bring a dictionary.Besides we can also check information timely in class.However,it has disadvantages.Students may play mobile games rather than listen to what teachers said.
    • That is true, Hou Jialei, that cell phones are useful tools in some classes, like a language class where you need a dictionary. Not all students get money for a dictionary, but all students get cell phones (the universities give them for free when they enroll, amongst others). And all cell phones these days have dictionaries on them. But, I was wondering ... I am sure all students already have their own cell phones by the time when they get to university. So, now they get a new one for free from the university (although not a good one, I understand) ... What do they do with two cell phones now?! Do they sell the new phone (as it is mostly inferior to their own phones)? Why do they then not buy themselves an e-dictionary if they know they are going to study English too? I was just wondering about that! :)

This reply was deleted.