Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was very afraid of the accident, because it will bring a lot of misery to the people.

I think this accident should be like this. First of all,because the Rolls-Royce master is very rich, so that he drived reckless led to the accident. And the old lady should be the victim, she was very angry, because her granddaughter sit in the car,so she hit the man. After that, the police ask short-sighted man questions, but he told a lie, he said Rolls-Royce master is the victim. Because he was given a lot of money by Rolls-Royce owener, when the little girl to tell the truth, no police believe her, because she is too young. And the only witnesses told a lie . Police eventually determine the old woman to bear full responsibility for the accident.
    • Haha Hui Ying, if that was a real accident with real characters, I think you would have been absolutely correct with your script! And so, another victim of unfairness and dishonesty (a poor old lady in this case) has to pay for a rich man just because he is rich and powerful ..! I think your group must follow your script tomorrow and we'll see how it compares with the others. :)

• That afternoon, I was on the road waiting for traffic lights.It was so boring,so i took out my cell phone to kill time.At this time,i heard the voice of sharp brakes.When i looked up,just saw a very new and handsome car was trying his best to turn to my side.But unfortunately, then an old car knocked into it.I can feel how sad the car owner seeing his gorgeous car body scratch.
    lights.it - This website is for sale! - Lights Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! lights.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what…
    • So Tiffany, did your sympathy with the new 'gorgeous' car moved you to side with the rich man (maybe it was a handsome guy too ...)?! But could you really witness what was happening, as you were killing time on your cell phone, and besides, according to the story, you were short-sighted too?!

• With the development of the world,more and more people have the car.Therefore,the traffic accidient has become an important matter.
    I think that the accidient is an usual matter.On the one hand,maybe the owner of the Rolls Royce is driving after drinking.On the other hand,the old lady's eyes can not look clear when she is driving.when they drived to a crossing ,the two car hit each other.And a shortsighted bystander has seen the hole process.
    In my opinion,we should be aware of the safety in the road.Only in this way can we embrace our brighter future.
    • Haha Lu Wenjun, with the development of China, more and more people have cars as the new symbol of wealth! In 1979 there were 1 million cars in China; thirty years later there are 83 million, as a car gets sold in China every 2.3 seconds! And sadly, road accidents also increase in great numbers - more than 100 000 people die annually in China from road accidents.

Well, although you think the old lady's eyes were not good, at least you realize that there is the strong possibility that the driver of the expensive car could have been drinking! That is normally one of the two most common reasons for accidents (the other is speeding).

• I think, the main reason for this is because the accident occurred because the car too old, and the driver driving technology is too low, the owner of the car has no regular checks of their vehicle, then it may be because in the hustle and bustle of the street, the old lady took the granddaughter was walking in the street, a car the master did not notice the pedestrian street, the old lady was very angry at this, played Rolls-Royce master, and witness this short-sighted but not the true situation say, protect the owner of the car, and when the police questioned the girl to tell the truth, the final decision in the police car owners and the a short-sighted witnesses should take full responsibility.
    • Wang Yingying, I guess you're going to be the short-sighted witness tomorrow, because you thought the old lady's granddaughter was walking in the street in stead of driving with her grandmother! And I wonder why you (the witness) would protect the rich man?! Oh, and do you think a six-year old girl can really be a reliable witness?!

• Grandma took me to go shopping today , I am very happy. But when I'm happy to play in the car, I suddenly heard her screams, I was scared, I saw our car and another car crashed together, then I saw a man coming out of the car, he shouted to my grandmother,I am very afraid, I began to cry.
    • Haha Hong Jingjing, so you were that little six-year old granddaughter?! Yes, it must have been quite a traumatic experience to you as you've never been in an accident before ... and your grandfather and father never yell at your grandmother or mother ...! So, in one day you experienced an accident (and bumped/banged your head against the windscreen, I think) and a very rude rich man who showed no respect to the elderly! I guess you would always remember that Rolls Royce and that rude people drive such expensive cars ..!

This reply was deleted.