Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was on the right driving but by suddently came out a car at my face then I got panic-striction I lost my drictions and contrul of the car and at the same time the lady maybe got in the same situation then the accident happend.I am sorry to got this condition and scaring the small girl of the lady's grandocghter and I hope in the future every one can drive carefuly don't cause the same thing.Purticulerly the lady must driv e safely as that not just one life she should to protect.Thank you pliceman.

The time that we studyed english this system is very important for me.Not only learned somethings that I haven't know ,but also get to know Jone.I am fortunotly thank you very much.

• What do you mean by thanking the policemen, Wang Xiaoxu?! Do you really believe they protect the people?! Haha, you are very naive (as most young people!), because the police are not doing their jobs! If they did, there wouldn't be so many accidents (more than 100 000 people in China die annually from car accidents) in the first place as people would obey the traffic rules. But as the police don't apply the rules and take action against the offenders, the motorists know they can basically do what they want on these roads! Come on, don't you see that?!

Yes Wang Xiaoxu, our time together is soon to come to an end. I'm happy to read that you feel you learned some things in class. Oh, and it was pleasant to me too to get to know you and your classmates! ;-)

• Many people say that ladies are the road killers.The old lady causes the accident.It is to be the sentence.If I am the shortsighted bystander,I would tell all what I see to the policeman.I think the old lady should pay for something to the owner of the Rolls Royce.The old lady's granddaughter of 6 years old is so cute that I donnot want the girl dead.
    ACCIDENT.IT
    • Haha, Xi Rui, do you think the short-sighted bystander really saw what happened?! Remember he is short-sighted and probably didn't even notice the second car in the accident! Oh, and btw, who said ladies are the "road killers"? My guess is that it can only be men saying that! That is surely not true (if you have really heard that)! Most accidents happen for two reasons: 1. Men who are drunk and driving under the influence of alcohol; and 2. Men speeding in their fast cars. Come on; you are also a lady - defend them!

• I think this class can exercise one's ability about the aglie thought .It may be hard. But we all look forward to this class and doing the role play.
    In my oppion, if I were the police. And we will come to the conclusion that the old lady should be responsible for the accident. Because it is her car . And it is her to hit the Rolls Royce. So she should be punished . when we drive the car on the road conditions. And keep careful all time.
    • Shame on you, Zhao Ziwei; what about some mercy for the sweet old lady?! She is most probably poor and the rich man would even feel it in his pocket if he should pay for the damage to both cars! The only concern he would have, is that his "valuable" time was wasted, and that means he had fewer minutes to make more money (or cheat others out of their money!). Of course the police would side with the rich man as he would probably be powerful too (and bribe them with some money in their pockets for deciding in his favour! If you are the police woman tomorrow, I hope you would be fair and honest (not like the real police)! :)

• The shortsighted bystander witnessed the whole procedure of the car accident .Because the Rolls Royce's owner drived too fast ,then ,when he rounded the corner,the old lady hit his Rolls Royce without braking her car early enough,and tne accident happened.The Rolls Royce's owner should be responsible for the car accident because of his fast driving.And the old lady should not pay repair charge for the Rolls Royce.
    Although this is the last time we'll do the news,I will always visit the website when I have free time,and continue to learn English.Because knowledge is infinite.
    • Amy, you and Katherine shouldn't be in the same rope play group as she said the old lady caused the accident! But I would believe too that it would rather be the rich guy's error as the rich and powerful people mostly think they can do what they want, and drive the way they want (I witness that about daily when walking to the campus!).

Well Amy, I'm very happy to read what you said about continuing your visits to this website when you have time. I can see that you are determined to improve your language skills! Yes, knowledge is power! :)

• Now cars have became more and more generally in our daily life.Because of this reason accident is often happen.Each part in the role play is very important,but i prefer to be a policewomen.I am ready to accept the job having challenge.I will ask them some questions,i will ask the bystanger what happened to them,as a bystander maybe his opinion is objective.Then i will turn to the party,and form a judgement.Time quickly passed by without our knowing it,i feel a little pity about it.
    • Well, if you want to be the policewoman tomorrow, you are welcome, Yao Zengjun - as long as you would be fair and honest (not like the real police!). But before we do the role plays, we'll do Tara's news for the last time; pse don't forget to prepare! Yes, time flies, and it's nearly over ...

This reply was deleted.