Week 15b: Friday, 19 December 2014

(1) Tara's News

This is the last time we'll do the news. Students who haven't done the comments during the past week, will tell us the news first. So, if you are serious about improving your listening skills, please listen to the news; this is probably also the last time you would ever do it as students just don't visit this website any longer to practice their language skills by themselves.

(2) Class activity: Describing a car accident.

We'll divide into 7 or 8 small groups and follow the script in the attachment. At the end of the role plays, each group will report back to the class about the outcome of the accident report.

M - W15b - Role play - car accident.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• At that time, I am waiting for a bus, see a rolls Royce quickly passed me, when it forward intersection turn left, suddenly appeared a car, the driver quickly turn the steering wheel, screeching sound, two cars are around in the violent shaking, but finally struck together, we all scared, then from the car down an old lady, and then the police arrived
    • Okay, tomorrow you can complete your story as the witness, Fang Xue! Just hope you were not that short-sighted bystander as she/he probably didn't see much of the accident as her/his eyes couldn't see that far! :)

• Based on the information, I think that it should be so.The old lady drove an old car with 6-year-old granddaughter to the church.When she passed by a fork on the road,a Rolls-Royce rocketed out of the fork, and the old lady did not brake in time and hit the back of the Rolls-Royce.Simultaneously the 6-year-old granddaughter fell from the passenger seat, and hurt. Rolls Royce's owner was very angry because the car was damaged, and the old woman hit the owner of Rolls Royce because the injured granddaughter. At the same time,there is a shortsighted bystander censured the owner of Rolls Royce. If so, I believe that both are wrong, the owner of the Rolls Royce should not turn so fast. The old lady with the old car should also pay more attention. She should not hit anyone, and the child fall not. Personally I think it is more of the old lady's responsibility, since she hit other's car, should not hit others.
    • Ha, Xu Heyun, I hope you are not the policeman tomorrow, because you would also side with the rich man! I hope the short-sighted bystander would not fall for the power and wealth of the rich man and would speak the truth (and hopefully he could witness the whole accident and not only the five meters ahead of him)!

• In my judgment,the accident occurred at around 4 pm , the old lady rode very quickly when she was to cross a lane.Suddenly, a Rolls Royce rushed out of the lane at high speed. The old lady drove fast and it was too late to dodge.They crashed into each other.And the Rolls Royce was hitted.So the old lady should undertake the responsibility and give compensation for the Rolls Royce repair costs.Maybe she needs to repair her old car at least once a week and driving under the rate-limiting.
    • Luo Yuanyuan, the old lady is too old to speed; it was the rich man who was driving to fast! And do you really think the rich man needed the compensation?! He wasn't worried about the cost; he probably was only mad because someone has slowed him down in his rush to go and make more money! If I were the policeman, the rich man would be guilty even if he wasn't and he should pay the old lady and apologize to her!

• If I was the policeman,I came to there as soon as possible to check what has happend .Then I asked what reason that caused this accident.The old lady said it is not her mistake she was driving rightly but she thought the man who cratched she was wrong and caused this accident .But the man got very angry because he thought he was right then we chacked the reason then found that was caused by the old lady then we took the lady to the policepolitition,then punish the lady. 

• Shame on you, Helen; would you really punish an old lady?! She may not even have money to pay! So, you would then put her in prison?! And another rich (and probably corruptly powerful too) would get away just because of his money! I don't think you should be the police woman in the role play, as you would be too hard on the old lady!

• Many years ago ,I rode bike on the way to my home.And I was talking with friend and didn't notice the car .The car came round the corner and missed me by a whisker.But I was frightened and fell off my bicycle.It was lucky that I was just grazed.
    There are more and more cars on the road.So we should be more careful than before.
    bicycle.it - This website is for sale! - bicycle Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! bicycle.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what…
    • Yes, and tomorrow you can be the policeman and give the other parties a lecture on road safety, Xu Yang! Ha, sounds like you were indeed very lucky to just escape with a few bruises and scratches. Remember Tara's news tomorrow ... you'll be the first to entertain us!

This reply was deleted.