Week 15a: Monday, 15 December 2014

(1) Discussion on bad habits to continue.

Students don't have to comment on this as you have done it already.

(2) Compelling conversations: Talking about books and reading pleasures.

Please see the attachments. There are two lists of 18 questions each. We'll work in pairs and each partner will get a different list. On list 1, we'll answer only the following questions: 1 ("Did your mother read to you as a child?"), 5, 7, 8, 10, 17 and 18. On list 2, only the following questions: 5 ("What are some books you've read and enjoyed?"), 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

For your comment, students can answer any of those questions, or tell me about a book you read and why you enjoyed it. You decide.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In my memory,I nearly do not read any books.I only read An Tu Sheng fairy a little.It was bought by my mother.And my mother read a lot to me about it.When I was in junior high school,We were taught that we should read famous literature.Then I read them a lot.And I found that they were fantastic and very interested to me.So I suppose I should always read more books.
    • I am glad that your mother read to you as a child, Wu Ting, as it sounds like you're not into reading yourself! are you lazy, or are you just a dreamer?! I guess you like watching movies much, right?! I think your supposition at the end of your comment is totally correct; we should read more! That is one enjoyable way of gaining knowledge and getting another kind of pleasure out of life!

• When I was a child, my father bought me a Aesop's fables, this book accompany with my childhood, so to speak. It taught me a lot of sense.When I go to Junior high school , I started to read a dream of red mansions, the author is called cao xueqin.This story tells a poignant love story which under the feudal society,so the protagonist is no happy ending.
    • Wow, you read Aesop's Fables, Zhang Tianjiao! He was living in the very first century! But they said of him, amongst others, that "he used humble incidents to teach great truths". I have never read it myself; but I am glad you enjoyed it in your childhood! It looks like "A Dream in Red Mansions" was prescribed to the Middle school students as I noticed here that many students referred to that book. Not nice to read a book with a sad ending ..!

• In my chidhood,I began to read book which is read comic books at first.I have a deep impression about my parents give us brought them.it's likely you get a swweet,Sometimes my parents would give us detail the books narritive.when I began to study school ,my teacher would tell some fariy tales as the courses,Especially Heinz Christian Andersen's novels,I remember this is my first read his book --<<The Little Match-Girl>>.His comic books mainly wrote to child,As I grow up ,I trend to read some enconomy books now ,we need more knowledge to engouh ourself ,no limited the literature,we need read more ,for example policial ,sport,finicial ,ecnonmy and so on.
    • Hans Christian Andersen's books were very popular, especially the fairy tales for children. I guess you are referring to studying at Primary school when being introduced to his books, Song Guangxia?! But I am surprised you mention reading economical books; it must have been boring! I agree we should read more to gain more knowledge, but why do you want to read political books?! Politicians normally tell lies that they want others to believe; so, leave those books to the people who want to be fooled! Read books that you would enjoy too! :)

• I like "Jane Eyre" very much for it has many meaningful sentences.And the most moving one is the love of Jane and Rochester.Jane is a poor tutor in the house of Rochester.Even though she is poor,she didn't feel inferior to others,equal instead.Just was her confidence and intelligence appeal to the Rochester who was a earl.In that hierarchical society this attitude became more behave.This attitude from Jane is also appealing him very much.Jane's eqaul attitude is continue.Even when Rochester went through a fire and became blind,she still didn't think she is better than him.She just be together with him peacefully.I hope that i can get this level as she equal to the world.
    • I noticed that quite a few of your classmates have read Jane Eyre, Yang Xiaoyan. I guess it must have been a great book then! Some of my school mates have also read the book as I remember them referring to it; it was also a prescribed book of literature in some classes in my school days. What I know about the book, I've read online! I know that the author is Charlotte Bronte. And the protagonist was Jane who fell in love with Rochester, but Rochester married another girl! But after she died, and after the fire, she still accepted her beloved Rochester despite (as you mentioned) his blindness and disability from the fire. Jane is a great example to most of us who always want to marry the perfect person ... Yes, I agree that one can strive to have her splendid temperament and view on life.

• The book I like is Twilight ,I first read it because of the movie which was acted by Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson. It’s talk about vampire and werewolf .Edward is the vampire ,Bella is human ,Jecob is a werewolf .When Edward first met Bella ,he find she is different ,he can read mind except bella, and bella eventually find out Edward is a vampire ,Edward’s family like living without sunshine, because they will be discovered what they are ,their skin would shine as the sun is shining . she think he is beautiful. They’re fall in love with each other ,meanwhile Jacob loves bella, he think bella should leave Edward for vampires always are desire to drink blood ,but Edward is a vegetarian (He drink animal blood instead of human blood). There are many story happened ,I couldn’t tell in details ,in the end ,Bella was changed into a vampire after having a baby girl ,she almost died ,and her daughter is with Jacob ,this is kind of funny ,Jacob did get the mother but get the daughter.
    • Katherine, it appears to me that you and Shelly have a lot in common! She also likes "Twilight"! I guess it is because it is a love story ...! I was suspecting that Bella would also turn into a vampire as she was too involved with them and somehow one of them would drink her blood and make her a vampire too! Okay, it wasn't Edward as he was ... er ... a vegetarian (a vampire vegetarian)! Wow, that ending is quite confusing ... the werewolf didn't get her, but got her daughter! Why? Was he perhaps the father of the daughter ..?! Then Bella wasn't true to Edward ...! Oh boy, what confusion!

This reply was deleted.