Week 15a: Monday, 15 December 2014

(1) Discussion on bad habits to continue.

Students don't have to comment on this as you have done it already.

(2) Compelling conversations: Talking about books and reading pleasures.

Please see the attachments. There are two lists of 18 questions each. We'll work in pairs and each partner will get a different list. On list 1, we'll answer only the following questions: 1 ("Did your mother read to you as a child?"), 5, 7, 8, 10, 17 and 18. On list 2, only the following questions: 5 ("What are some books you've read and enjoyed?"), 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

For your comment, students can answer any of those questions, or tell me about a book you read and why you enjoyed it. You decide.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Haha Long Yuan, I can hear the cry of your heart ... I need the passion to start reading some books! Some other students have also read Jane Eyre (like Cai Huibin). I think it is a good book to read as it was published in both languages in the same volume. I was a little different as a boy as I loved reading from when I can remember! My mother used to call me a 'book worm'! I have never unlearned that habit and I read even more in these later years of my life. Most of my knowledge I picked up through reading. If you want to end my life, tell me that I can't read anymore! ;-)

• In my memory,when I was a child my sister who older me 8 years old often read stories for me in chinese because at that  she hasen't study english .My favorite story is Cry Wolf ,from this story I studied the honest and it always influnnce me very well.In the middle school,at the influnce of our teacher I interested in read some famous book in the world as 20000 Leagues Under the Sea /Read and Black/Robinson Crusoe/The education of love,ect.But in the high school I didn't have time to do this thing .And now don't have the plan to read an englishi book.In the future ,may be I will want to do that.

http://well.In/
    • Sorry Wang Xiaoxu, Huang Yan beat you to the first comment (it must have been very close)! Oh, so you liked "Cry Wolf"?! Was that written by Patricia Briggs? You were fortunate that your sister read some books to you; you must be very grateful to her for that! Yes, they keep students too busy in high school and university to read books. Hope you may one day surprise yourself and read at least one good English book!

• In the past years I have read some books expect the teaching material.When I was a child my mother often read the fairy tales and I liked them very much .My favorite story is Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs because they are kind people so my mom want me to be this kind of person.So in my childhood my favorite author was Hans Christian Andersen the reason is he wrote so many stories for child .But when I was at high school ,I liked to read some magzines as the Yout Digest,I read it for fun.But now I am reraly read some books reason of don't have any free time.

• Thank you, Helen; I see you and your roommate have been doing the comment simultaneously, but you beat her with a few seconds as your name appears first! So, your mom must have reached her goal with you by reading Snow White's story to you, don't you think ..?! I can ask your roommates if that is true (I think so)! Yes, Hans Christian Andersen was a great Danish writer of fairy tales. I can understand why he was your favourite author! Pity you are so busy lately that you can't read books anymore. Hope you can catch up one day!

This reply was deleted.