Week 15a: Monday, 15 December 2014

(1) Discussion on bad habits to continue.

Students don't have to comment on this as you have done it already.

(2) Compelling conversations: Talking about books and reading pleasures.

Please see the attachments. There are two lists of 18 questions each. We'll work in pairs and each partner will get a different list. On list 1, we'll answer only the following questions: 1 ("Did your mother read to you as a child?"), 5, 7, 8, 10, 17 and 18. On list 2, only the following questions: 5 ("What are some books you've read and enjoyed?"), 6, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18.

For your comment, students can answer any of those questions, or tell me about a book you read and why you enjoyed it. You decide.

Compelling Conversations x1.pdf

Compelling Conversations x2.pdf

Compelling Conversations x3.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh Amy, if you also like reading books, we are two of a kind as I love it so much myself! Like you I also loved reading from my childhood and I've never stopped reading. My mother used to call me a 'book worm'! I think I have accumulated most of my knowledge from reading books! I don't know much about "A Dream in Red Mansions", but I know that if you're Chinese, it is a great book to read as it is being regarded as the most important of all Chinese novels (and even important in general world literature!). I guess it must be a good book if you read it several times already! I admire your courage to borrow those English works from the library, but I think it was a mistake! Why? Because it is too difficult for a beginner in the English language! I always tell my students to start with simple English books that reads easily. If you are interested (I realize you don't have much time ...), I have a few easy-English books that I'll bring to class tomorrow. I bought them specifically for my students during my last holiday in South Africa. I have already lend a few of them out, but if you think you may find some time somewhere for reading, you can borrow some of them. I hope you can again take up this great hobby one day! Tell me if you want more English books from my country! ;-)

• I like reading chinese poems.but i think it is really difficult expressing chinese poems feeling by english words . some day ,i surf a english translate of a poem.Although the feels are different between them,but there is a amazing artistic conception in here. i just cut a part of it and share with you. “you turned and looked,not speaking.only lines of tears crousing down。” IT's writed by chinese great poet SuShi.

• Sarah, pse remember the name cards ... otherwise you would be returning to the dormitory to get them this time!

• Oh, you like reading poems, Cai Huibin. Have you ever tried reading English poems? Consider this poem: "They walked down the lane together, the sky was full of stars. Together they reached the farmyard gate, he lifted for her the bars. She neither smiled nor thanked him, indeed she knew not how, for he was just a farmer's boy, ..................................". Do you know this poem? If you do, then you know the end! If you don't, I'll complete it tomorrow in class! :)

• In my childhood, my favorite book is Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen, and this is my first book I had gotten. ALso I like the author Andersen all time . He give me a lot from child to adult. He teach me to bring love to everybody. I always remember the stories. Poverty bitterness of the little match girl went to another warm and beautiful world; The stupid emperor put on no new clothes; The little mermaid selfless regretless for love to pay; The ugly duckling finally become the noble white swan and so on. I learned from this book a lot, also it gave me a lot of help to my growth.
    • Haha Zhao Ziwei, it appears that many a Chinese student were exposed to the fairy tales of Hans C Andersen! I agree that he was an outstanding author; I even remember some of his books from my own childhood (like "The ugly duckling", and others)! He was so popular that his books were translated in more than 100 languages (also in Chinese, of course!). Interestingly, both his parents weren't well educated (actually received the minimum education), but his father had the foresight of introducing him to literature. And then he ended up this wonderful author of children's (and other) books!

• I first know the story was from my grandpa.That was the most precious memory in my childhood.He always tells me the story of his experience,and the things happened around him.When I grow up,I can read by myself.I love the book named "The Red and the Black". The Red and the Black has been hailed as the first great 'realist’novel of the nineteenth century.It is author is Stendhal who borns in French.it is a novel of ambition and passion, of indignation and tenderness, of polemic and poetry .

• Yes, I guess you will have good memories from your grandfather reading to you, Caroline! Or maybe he only told you stories - but still good memories! Oh, you read the Red and the Black about Julien Sorel (the protagonist). I guess you read it in Chinese, right?! Because at that time you still didn't know much English! I guess it must have been a little difficult to understand as it was written in the 1800's with France as background. But if you did enjoy some of it, good for you! :)

• Honestly, I’ve never read an extra book through my childhood, only some magazines’ articles. I was trying to read The Four Famous Novels of China at that time, but unfortunately, I failed in reading it all, I just cannot figure out why I can’t be interest in those books or why I cannot just get something from those books. When I was at middle school, I thought it is the time to get something from extra books,then I bought a book named Jane Eyre,which is half Chinese and half English, and it’s the lite version, then I found something in,and my English has improved a little, though a lot of thing has flown away. Hope I could have the passion to read more books and get something useful in my head.

• Long Yuan, you don't have to bring your computer to class for the next two weeks. Thank you!

This reply was deleted.