Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for your contribution, Liu Weifang. I think you put some good thought in it. I can tell you that "I (also) had a dream" like Martin Luther King Jnr ... but for my Chinese students - to break the shackles of habit imprisoning them in believing that the current way of obtaining knowledge is the only way (studying, studying, studying to pass these endless and aimless exams) to a better life ... I'm always trying to offer them conditions which are designed to open their minds to the realities of real life (which, amongst others, include different topics on world affairs or real-life issues; this website with its vast opportunities for change, etc), but I discovered it is mostly in vain as very, very few students use those opportunities. So, my dream for them would just remain what it is ... a dream. I guess the system has blinded the students so much, that even when they get the opportunity to learn more than just Chinese studies, most of them don't realize it. And my aim was only to enrich their lives, as my experience is that most Chinese lives are so dull and even meaningless.

2393218393?profile=original

You were one of the exceptions to use this opportunity I gave the class to learn from other lives they have never been told about. So, thank you for reading about Florence Nightingale. You have enriched your own life. And you end off with a valid question. There are not many (if any) Florence Nightingales (and others similar to her) left in our world today to make a difference. Maybe we should each strive to be the next Florence Nightingale, Helen Keller, Anne Frank, Erin Gruwell, Malala Yousafzai, etc. :) 

I end off with a quote from Albert Einstein (hope you can view it - ask me if it doesn't show up here):

2393218446?profile=original

• I choose LiNa ,Celine Dion and Anne Frank .
    LiNa is a chinese tennis players and she is the champion of Asia's grand slam women's singles.All chinese are proud of her.And I think the person who devote herself to her career should be respected and learned.She win the honor for her motherland,she is so successful.
    About Celine Dion,she is a Canadian singer,I like her when I hear the song which named my heart will go on.She is elegant and she has no gossip.I think she is a real artist.She has talent in singing,she is a good singer.
    Anne Frank ,when I study in primary school,I read the book ,Anne's diary written by Anne Frank.She is a Jewish girl who was killed by Nazi.I read her stoty , I admire her adamancy and courage .The book teach me so much and I hope there will be no more war.
    • Well Huo Meng, I noticed that you have chosen three women as your favourite personalities! Haha, no problem with that; I also think they are great names! About Li Na, you may be right that Chinese people are proud of her, but what I guess you don't know, is that not all Chinese politicians are impressed with her as she had her own views on certain situations in China! But of course, her fame has probably been her protection as she'd brought much glory to China for her achievements! Yes, Celine Dion has a good name in the music world and I appreciate her music too.  I am glad you chose Anne Frank too (the only one who chose her, btw!). Just a small correction, she wasn't directly killed by the Nazi's, but she'd tragically died of typhoid fever in the Nazi concentration camp. But I guess, you are partly correct as that wouldn't have happened had she not been imprisoned by the Nazi's. Her father was the only one of her family to survive the Nazi concentration camps and it was him that discovered her diary and published it. Yes, how tragic war is. I hate war myself and I abhor the watching of war movies (and there are so many on Chinese TV ...). But sadly, today's world is full of wars, and where there is no war, people even talk about making war against countries they hate. How does one understand that?! I am glad you too don't like war; then there must be other Chinese people too who feel like that! :)

• The famous people i admire are Martin Luther King ,Helen Keller and li na .I like the speaking of i have a dearm .As a black man ,he fight for all the black people,he is a really hearo.For Helen Keller i think she is a miracle, she wrote the book If I light three days by herself,it is difficult.And i like the optimistic character of her.AS LI NA ,the famous tennis plaler,win all the tennis awards.she representative a times in her tenns life.
    her.as is parked
    • Lily, I just want to comment on what you said about Helen Keller. I agree she was (and still is) a great inspiration to us all as she didn't have eye sight and hearing, but she remained positive about life. How many of us can say that today?! But about her book ... I am sure you were not sure about that title! What was the title of her book you referred to? Her most prominent works were, "The Story of my Life", "The World I live in", "Optimism", "Out of the Dark", "The Song of the stone wall" and "Miracle worker". Can it be, "Three days to see" which Fang Lijuan has translated into Chinese? I guess that's what you mean; but where did you get that title from (oh, a direct translation from Chinese ...)?!

• I am interested in the story of Princess Diana of Wales.She is a legend woman.Her grand wedding left a deep impression to the world.Uluckily,she eventually divorced.Anyhow,their love experience is very romantic.Then ,i'd like to talk about Li Na.I love her for her unique personality.What's more ,she is a really outstanding athlete.Finally,i also adore Martin Luther King .He is a brave and wisdom man .It is a pity the world has lost one of the warriors.
    • I like your choice of princess Diana, Hou Jialei. She really was one special woman. How sad that her life ended prematurely and so tragically. The world became poorer after losing that life. Yes, Li Na was such an inspiration (not only for China, but also the world) when she was still playing. But I think her legacy will continue to have an influence on China, in particular. About Martin Luther King Jnr, I agree with your statement; but the world has this sickening habit of sacrificing the lives of many of those who stand for people's freedom (many of those aren't even known, but when they disappear or their lives are 'stopped', the effect is the same).

• I am very happy to see Nick Vujicic was selected in this "famous people list"! Obviously he is the person that I am admired most.He really helped me a lot.The first time I saw him is a propaganda poster witch put up on the wall in my high school when I was in my senior year.This little man unexpectedly has no arms and legs!It shocked me a lot.But the most important thing is there is an eternal smile on his face.How can one be optimistic at this bad situation.In that evening the puzzle was solved.I watched his speech on the Internate.He said:"The biggest sorrow of life is not lost limbs, but no survival hope and target!Life without limits!"I was very shamed about it.Because under the heavy pressure of National College Entrance Examination I didn't have motivation I nearly have no goals and targets.Then I changed my negative lifestyle and start a new life.(Maby I have talked too much about him. But I really want to say this:))
    The second one I would prefer Celine Dion.I really like the song "My heart will go on and on"."It can touch the soul"the sing she sang is worthy of this praise.When you listen to the song you may even cry.
    The last one would be Jackie Chan.I think the most great thing he had done is not his performance.It should be his kind heart.He do many philanthropy.He is really cared about disadvantaged group.He did the right thing!
    All in all.I think the standard of judge a person is not because how big things he had done it is how deep he had influenced you and helped you.
    situation.in - This website is for sale! - situation Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! situation.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of wh…
    • Thank you for a good comment, Kay. Sorry that I only respond now, but for some reason I couldn't get to all the comments before class. No, you didn't talk too much about Nick! I am glad he made such an impression on you that you could write such a nice passage about him. I agree with what you say about him. He is such an unbelievable inspiration to all people in the world today (though many wouldn't admit that as they are opposed to origin of his spiritual strength, I believe). To still have a smile and be so positive towards life without limbs, is proof that he must be some kind of special person. He has visited my home country and even China, but I have never seen him live. I also watched some of his videos online. When I see him, I immediately feel that my soul is lifted up! Have you seen the beautiful wife he got (her name is Kanae)?! And they now have a handsome little boy too as their first child! So, he may not have limbs, but he's living a 'normal' life! Lastly Kay, I believe that one thing many people, who are inspired by him, are missing, is to look at the 'source' or the origin of Nick's joy. That is what makes him so different. Many people don't want to admit it, but that is what has made Nick so special. :)

I like the sentence you have concluded your comment! It is important that we can be inspired by the lives of our role models so as to live up to our own full potential, and not by their good deeds. Here's a Nick quote for you (hope you can see it):

2393219368?profile=original

• Marilyn Monroe,I’ve heard that she was a great actress in the history.She has starred in the Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and so on.By the way,I have to refer she was beautiful and sexy.I admire her for her artistic achievement.

Yao Ming,We all know he was a great NBA star,he was so tall which can be his great advantage to make him become an aircraft carrier.We aii proud of him as a chinese.

Martin Luther King,freed the black,gave blacks equal rights.And he got the Nobel peace PrizeI admire him because he was so great he helped the blacks get the freedom,even I can say he has changed the history of the America.

This reply was deleted.