Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well Amy, Jackie Chan and Martin Luther King Jr indeed made their mark in life and succeeded in their different spheres of influence, but I think your choice of Helen Keller is the most profound one as she is still today an inspiration to many (and in particular women). Her whole life is just one incredible miracle and indeed she's left a legacy behind that would not easily be erased. I'll bless you with a quote from her (I hope you can see it here):

2393218338?profile=original

• I think that all these peopie are so famous.The people who I admired are Li Na,Hellen Keller and Albert Einstein.Li Na is a very outstanding tennis star,she make great contribution to our Chinese sport.In my opinion,I should do some sports to make my body more and more health.Hellen Keller is a so strong woman .Although she is deaf and blind,she is full of hope to her life.When I meet some difficulties in my life,I should learn from her.We should not giveup ourself at any time,we must believe in ourself.Albert Einstein invented a lot of important things.For example,light bulb.We should improve the creative ability in our daily life.
    • Lu Wenjun, I don't have a problem with your choices, but I am starting to wonder whether the Chinese students know more than just those three, Jackie Chan and Yao Ming! I agree that Helen Keller is an inspiration for all of us and I have great admiration for her too. I also admire Albert Einstein, but not necessarily for his brilliant brain and inventions as for his energy for living with moral integrity. But it appears to me you didn't do proper research on him (if any at all), because I am sure he didn't invent the light bulb ...

• Although they all very famous and make devotions in different area and I admire them very much,but the most three I admire are Li Na,Mother Terrsa and Malala Yousafzai.First,Li Na,because she is a Chinese woman and the first Chinese to get such a great prize.We all proud of her.Second,Mother Terrsa.I like her words:"Love has a hom to her garment,that reaches the very dust.It sweep the streets and lanes.And because is can,it must."Third,because she is a very brave girl and she even younger than me.Besides,I just know that you will leave us next term..we are sad to hear that..:(

dust.it
    • Guo Hongtai, I am so impressed with you! Because you are the first, and probably the only, student to choose this year's Nobel Peace Prize winner, Malala Yousafzai! I was wondering wheher at least one student would choose her and take the trouble of reading up on her life (which can't be too much as she's only 17 years old) - and you did exactly that! You are so smart!

2393217831?profile=original

And to top it all, your list includes another Nobel Peace Prize winner, the one of 1979, Mother Teresa! I knew all the time there was something special about you, Guo Hongtai; and now you have proven it to me! Yes, and Li Na is my favourite Chinese woman after Lin Zhao. Good choices - and all three are female ..!

2393217799?profile=original

• The people who i admire are Helen keller,Ron Clark,Jakie Chan.Helen Keller have influenced me a lot.Long years ago,my teacher suggested me to read her book,'Three Days To See'.Helen Keller,blindand deaf from disease,give us the answer about what would you look at if you had just three days of sight.I really be shook by helen from heart.As a disable people,she made more effort than normal people,and she achieve success.I draw inspiration from her story.I have learned that no matter what setbacks we meet,,we should rebound from the setbacks.Then we try to beat it.And about Jakie Chan,i feel he is so handsome,and his chinese martial arts is profound.
    • I'm glad you also chose one of the world's most famous teachers, Yao Zengjun! But I wonder if you would have known about him had it not been for that movie you watched about his life as teacher?! Well, I think your English teacher must be happy to have introduced you to Mr Clark! ;-)

About Helen Keller, the choice of many students as it appears that Chinese students have been exposed to her; what an inspiration to us all (and to women in particular). I'll show you another quote from her:

2393217860?profile=original

• Helen Keller was born in America.She became deaf and blind when she was one year old.She could not speak clearly.World is dark for her.However,she didn't give up.With her teacher's help,she learned how to write and make gesture language.She wrote much impressing work such as 《Three Days to See>>.She had an iron will which moved me and so on.That's the reason why i admire her.Another two people i selected were Jackie chan and David Beckham.
    • Yes Ying Haiyang, Helen Keller is a worthy personality to single out. Her life and her quotes still inspire people all over the world today. Here is one of those inspirational quotations (also from the movie, "Three days to see"):

2393217855?profile=original

• Jackie Chan, star of the Kung Fu Movie industry, has been attracting audiences the world over for more than a decade. His worldwide popularity today, with more than fifty films to his name, is an ongoing phenomenon.Today, he continues to make films and remains the world's number-one action star.
    Beckham's career began when he signed a professional contract with Manchester United.During his time there, United won the Premier League title six times, the FA Cup twice, and the UEFA Champions League in 1999. Both of them are attractive and successful.As a public figure,their past are very admirable.
This reply was deleted.