Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wang Xiaoxu, I don't know very much about Albert Einstein, but what I do know, is that he didn't discover the electric light bulb! That honour befall (belongs to) Thomas Edison!

Yes, Helen Keller was (and still is) an inspiration to many people, especially women. If she could live such a victorious life without sight and hearing, just imagine what women can do it they have the same beliefs and temperament! Has your roommate similar characteristics than Helen Keller ..?! I surely hope so; then it must be a pleasure to share a room with such a famous woman (in the making)!

• I would choose Armstrong, Einstein, Li Na. First of all, Armstrong driving a spaceship to become the first on the moon, is also the first member of the human whose footprints left in the extraterrestrial body, once i thought while feel he is very handsome. when i was a kid that a lot of people will say when they grow up they want to be a scientist, at the time that the scientists are very powerful and very powerful people, is to let people admire the existence. In my heart, Einstein is such a person, in addition to academic achievements, some characters of Einstein is also lets me admire, such as he donate his brain for the brain research, really great!! Li Na, a handsome woman, watching some games at her, confident action, bright smile, let a person feel is a kind of enjoyment
    • Zhang Ke, I'm glad you chose Armstrong as one of the foreigners on the list, but I have to correct something you said about his spaceship ..! A spaceship doesn't have a steering column - it's like an airplane and one 'flies' a spaceship! ;-)

Yes, Einstein had a great influence on the development of science in this world, but I think without those characteristics you've referred to (his good nature and inner peace), he would have been just an average scientist! Oh, Li Na is one of my favourite sport stars too. The legacy she's left in the sport world will live on for very long!

• From the list,i know some of them.I admire the people who are Neil Alden Armstrong ,Albert Einstein,Lina.Just for Neil Alden Armstrong ,before becoming an astronaut, Armstrong was an officer in the U.S. Navy and served in the Korean War. After the war, he earned his bachelor's degree at Purdue University and served as a test pilot.I admire his brave taht he can courage himself to do the first thing which is going to moon by himself.he is wonderful.To Lina i like the gesture that she plays the tennis.It's so cool,and i also like do excersice.Hope some day i can play it with my friend.

• Glad you chose at least one different name from your classmates, Helen! I also have admiration for Neil Armstrong. I don't know much about Albert Einstein, but what I did discover about the two of them, is that they both found the same inner peace as Helen Keller also had. Oh, and as I play tennis myself, you chose the right Chinese personality to impress me! I love Li Na! :)

• oh i am so glad to here that you slao like them.

• Martin Luther King, Jr is one of the famous civil rights leader USA. In 1963,he put forward a request to President Kennedy, he asked for new civil rights laws, he hopes to give blacks equal rights. In August 28, 1963, in front of the Lincoln Memorial, he published his "I have a dream" speech.In 1964, Congress passed the "bill of rights" American, announced the policy of racial discrimination is illegal policy.In this year, He won Nobel peace prize.Of course, he also suffered a lot of disaster.He had suffered a lot of times of intimidation, and his life had been ten times in various ways in prison.But he still did not give up, he is a great man.
    • Yes, Hong Jingjing, he and Nelson Mandela stood for the same principles to get dignity and respect for black people an though both ended up in prison (and he was assassinated), they never gave up their cause and their dream for their people. Sadly, America is today still racially deeply divided; but I am sure the black Americans are still better off now because of Martin Luther King Jr's campaigns.

• I'd like to choose Li Na、Helen Keller and Albert Einstein undauntedly.Meanwhile the one I like most is Li Na and the reason is diversely.I like sports because playing it will release our emotions and pressure;Secondly,working for dreams is a really meaningfui thing which I enjoy very much.
    I read the book "If give me three days life" a few years ago and I really admire Helen for her positive attitude to life especially to difficulty.She even uses her own experience to encourage people's desiration to life.I believe that she has an inner peace which I'm eager to.And peace is the same reason for my choosing Albert Einstein.
    I think the reason why i choose them is some charactors they have is what i need or I really like.
    • Good choices, Gina. Li Na is of course one of my all-time heroines too and I love her! Maybe it's because I play tennis myself and love the sport; but she also was such a great player! Now Peng Shuai must carry the flag for China!

I don't know too much about Albert Einstein, but I know that he found the same inner peace as Helen Keller (as you indeed mentioned). I am fortunate that I can tell you that I found that same inner peace too. I agree with you that those characteristics they displayed, are indeed worthy to pursue. Just look at this profound quote from Helen (it speaks more than a book!):

2393217818?profile=original 

This reply was deleted.