Week 14b: Friday, 12 December 2014

(1) Tara's News here: https://edition.englishclub.com/category/listening-news/

(2) Famous personalities: Select 3 names from the attached list of 30 names of famous personalities that you would like to give a talk to your class. Not more than one Chinese person from the list! Motivate the reasons for your choice. Discussion in small groups or pairs. Comments: you can write about your choices (one, or two, or all three) and give shortly at least one reason why you admire them.

(3) Role plays: You are a famous personality and your partner will interview you on various aspects of life.

"I am famous!"

Famous people list.rtf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Zhu Qianfeng, have you only "heard" that Marilyn Monroe was a great actress?! I thought you would read up on her as you chose her as one of your personalities, but when I look at what you have written about her, I can see you did not take sufficient time to do some research ... At least you know she was very beautiful ...

Do you know what an aircraft carrier is? It is a warship being used for the launching and landing of aircraft while on see (China has one of those, called the "Liaoning"). So, why do you compare Yao Ming with such a ship ...?!

Yes, Martin Luther King Jnr has surely made a great contribution to change the history of America, but sadly, racism is still prevalent in the US and he couldn't end it completely with his ultimate sacrifice for the cause (his life).

Lastly, I don't understand something ... in class you and Cai Huibing both chose David Beckham as your personalities for the discussions while you didn't choose him here in your comment. So, somebody wasn't honest it appears to me, right?

• Three people were Jackie Chan ,David Beckham and  Celine Dion.In the three people ,just Jackie Chan is chinesee,i know most of him in the three people.he is a famous chinese kung fu star,he had been in a lot of movies,i like his movie when i am a little girl .He represented China, show the Chinese kung fu to the world,Moreover,he is not just an actor,he is also a philanthropist,In this regard ,he is also very successful.but a few days ago.his son was captured due to drug .he is very sad...

Besides ,my favorite sport is football,once every four years in the World Cup, I love it very much ,my favorate team is spanish ,butthis year they are not doing well in the group match .so .i I didn't see a lot of games this year. David Beckham is also my favorite football stars . he has been in England before,and heis very succcessful .

Celine Dion.i love the song very much ,my heart will go on ,i know herbecause of the movie Titanic.this song with her voice expressed the movie very much ,the despair of face the disaster , and after the disaster,the survivors be more stronger ,and so on .it impressed me

• Yes I agree, Li Xinlan, that Jackie Chan is very famous in China. But unfortunately rich and famous people often neglect their families ... and if one takes into consideration what'd happened with his son, then it is a sad reality. This kind of thing frequently happens to the sons of politicians, but they of course have the power to mostly keep it away from the media (and you know in China is little or no media freedom). Of course similar things happen to foreign personalities, and Hollywood has many such examples.

Wow, you like football, Li Xinlan?! Most Chinese prefer basketball! I like football too and though I also like Spain, my no 1 favourite team is actually the Dutch (Holland)! They unfortunately lost in the 2010 World Cup final in my home country, and in this year's WC they lost in the semi-finals in a penalty shootout. Oh, but a Spanish team that I do like in the Euro Cup, is Barcelona! I'm sure you must like them too?! And of course, David Beckham would always be one of the world's greatest football stars ever!

Ha, the theme song of the Titanic movie is one of my favourites too and ony Celine Dion can sing it like that! :)

• I admire .Jane Eyre (a famous novel was written about her).Jane Eyre, is a poor but aspiring, small in body but huge in soul, obscure but self-respecting girl. Jane Eyre, a marvelous figure, has left us so much to recall and to think: We remember her goodness: for someone who lost arms and blinded in eyes, for someone who despised her for her ordinariness, and even for someone who had hurt her deeply in the past.When we think of this girl, what she gave us was not a pretty face or a transcendent temperament that make us admire deeply, but a huge charm of her personality.
    • Oh, I see you and Sarah both chose Jane Eyre, Zhang Tianjiao. You mentioned the novel about her, but did you ever read it yourself?! If not, how do you know about her?! What do you mean about "someone who lost arms and blinded in the eyes"? Did she lose her arms and had she become blind? Are you sure?! I am a little confused here ...

• Jane eyre, is a book that I like so much, Jane eyre is one of the leading lady. In the her background, her life is very unusual. She is an orphan as a child, when she is adult,she displaced and finally met a soul mate。but also because of a fire, lead to blindness of her lover。they end up together, and lead a happy life. Hope to share with you again in class tomorrow David Beckham and LiNa's story, they are both my favorite sports star.

• Well, you're the first one to choose Jane Eyre, Cai Huibin! I like this quote from her: "...there is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort". Okay, it was actually from Charlotte Bronte, her creator!

• The three people who I admire are Jackie Chan,Mother Teresa and Charlie Chaplin.Jackie Chan is a hero who actually has strength and hold power.Jackie Chan is a movie star who actually combat while other actors have substitutes.Mother Teresa is a nun who cares and loves the poor and sick.She is very friendly and kind so she received the Nobel Peace Price in 1979. Charlie Chaplin is a comedian in London.He is famous for doing panto.He brought us great joy and pleasure.
    • Many students have also chosen Jackie Chan as their Chinese personality; I can understand why as he is a very successful actor. Glad to see you also found some inspiration from the life of Mother Teresa, Xi Rui. And yes, Charlie Chaplin is still making us smile though he was born around two centuries ago!

• The famous personality which I admire the most is Helen Keller,not only because she is a famous writer,and is admired by many people,but also because she is a strong disabled--a deaf-blind woman.I once read the book The Story of My Life,which is introduced the whole life of Helen Keller,and I was really moved by Helen Keller^s strong will. Helen Keller, a deaf-blind girl,never gave up herself,and tried her best to live a meaningful life.An ordinary person like her maybe already give up his/her life,but Helen Keller didnt.She lived on ,and went to university for a forward study.Helen Keller have written many books ,and encourage many people.Helen Keller was really strong,and I really admire her.
    Another famous personalities that I admire are Martin Luther King Jnr and Jackie Chan.Both of them are famous and make great contributions to the world.The are my idols.
This reply was deleted.