Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for a good comment, Kay. I like your different angle, though I still believe the immense pressure on students to perform, is a contributing factor (pressure from parents and the system which forces them to perform for a good placing at a good teaching institution, amongst others). But would that be fair on the honest students to report the cheaters when they see them? Think about the bad reactions from those cheaters toward the students who've reported them. No, I wouldn't like to put that pressure on the honest students! A good solution would surely be to increase the penalties for cheating, but then it must be evenly and consistently applied to make it effective. However, that would still not stop it. Something else must change ... or the example must come from another source ... We'll talk about that tomorrow! ;-)

• I think that's a very immoral things cheating in school, is not only of their own learning is not responsible for, and the learning outcomes of others is also a kind of blasphemy, some people may think cheating can quickly get good grades, but for me is a loss, did not get true knowledge. On the other hand, some people think that to obtain high performance better than to cheat, this is actually a lack of personality, to a indulge themselves and are not responsible for.
    • Yes Zhang Yingying, if we know we would be held accountable for our actions, maybe we'll think twice before engaging in dishonest or other wrong behaviour. Problem is, I think, that too many people get away with bad or wrong behaviour and therefore it gets easier to repeat such behaviour. "Lack of personality" ..." Well, I would rather say it can be a flaw in the character; but how did it get there in the first place, because we don't get born cheaters ...? There must be other causes for this.

• There is a belief that cheaters will be punished by themselves,and i favor this point of view.Just is like the saying that boomerang.There are various examples to prove the pointment.For example,if someone was found when he or she cheated  in examination.They will be punished by teachers or school.They may not pass the examination.Then they have to take part in the test once more.Therefore,i believe it's very important for us to be honest.If there are pienty of people to cheat whit others in a country,the social will not advanced in the future.

• Helen, how do cheaters punish themselves?! You mean only when they get caught? Okay, I can understand that, but what when they don't get caught?! Then there is no punishment! But honestly Helen, do all cheaters get punished? I read and heard (from other students) that some teachers even allow cheating ... and when they notice it, they turn a blind eye. I understand that some of them can't take action against a cheater as they were cheaters themselves when they were students. So, would it ever be eradicated if there is any truth in that? It would be very difficult, I think. ;-)

• There are a lot of cheating in our life, especially in the examination process, although the school has repeatedly stressed don't cheating, and will do some punishment for cheating, but many students will still choose to cheat. Usually do not Study hard, when the examination through cheating to get high grades, As for as I'm concerned,This is not irresponsible for own, although we get a high score in the examination process, but we have not learned, and will develop a habit
    • Fang Xue, why do I like it so much when I see you here?! Maybe it is your lovely nature that melts this old man's heart! Haha, you have actually mentioned one of the big problems of cheating ... not studying hard enough! And then those who didn't study well, still want good grades! So, if they continue, they develop the bad habit of cheating (and if they don't get caught, they may try it again and again). Maybe punishment wouldn't help; I think the change must come from within (from the heart) ... ;-)

• At first ,i need to admit that I have been copied,in high school,sometimes i did not finished my homework,on the second day i may copy someone else’s in a hurry.but i will not cheat in the examination .in university ,there are so many rules to stop students from cheating ,if a student was caught cheating ,the grade of this course is going to be zero .even so .there are still some students cheating in the exam.as foe the fair .there is no absolute fairness in the world.our teacher had told us ,the college entrance examination is alreadly relatively fair.so we as long as you work hard.scores and knowledge for me ,knowledge is more important .it is good for our development .

• Li Xinlan, you naughty girl! But thank for your honesty! I have also cheated when I was at school; I will share with the class tomorrow. But I have changed as my punishment for that was too painful, and I learned that it was wrong! Yes, I guess you are right about no absolute fairness in this wicked world we live in. But still, if others are unfair, unjust, dishonest, corrupt, etc, etc, it doesn't mean we can all be like that! I believe we should still make a difference in this world wherever we find ourselves. :)

• Cheating in the examination is a kind of disgusting behavior and I am disgusted with it.I never cheat in the exam,when I see someone cheat I will feel so angry ,because they can get good grades without any effort ,it's unjust!I really can't understand why they trick their own ,it's meaningless.In the worksheet ,about cheating and plagiarism in school ,the situation more serious than I think,it's time to stop this kind of behavior and teach students the importance of honesty.Of course ,it's really difficult.
This reply was deleted.