Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Luo Yuanyuan, what time do you go to bed?! Is this you normal time to be still awake?! I was under the impression that there is no power (electricity) at the dormitories after 11pm at night - looks like it has changed! Yes, if every student work hard, cheating wouldn't be necessary; but we know what the reality is!

• Cheating is a common phenomenon in chinese university ,not only in the final exam ,but also in the homework at other times.Even most students think that it is common and necessary to cheat,for passing the exam ,getting good grades,even for getting scholarship.I think cheating is always wrong,most students want to be succeeded by not making any effort.And I hate this behavior,it is so unfair to the hard-working students.I think students who was cheating should be punished harshly,especially the students who was cheating in the final exam.
    • I hear what you say, Amy, and I even agree with you; but would harsh punishments firstly solve the problem of cheating and plagiarism, and secondly, would it be fair to the cheaters?! Firstly I don't think any kind of punishment would stop students from engaging in this kind of behaviour as it never gets applied evenly and consistently. Secondly, can we really blame the students for cheating and plagiarism is that is the examples the see daily ...? Think about this and tell me tomorrow! :)

• As we know,it is common in our shool life that some students cheat in exams and have plagiarisms when they do their homework.And this phenomenon not only exsits in China but also in some foreign countries,for instance in USA.In my opinion ,cheating and plagiarisms are very shameful actions.As a student,we should not do those.Because we are the future of the society.If we don't a good moral character,our county would not have a promising future.
    • You are correct that this phenomenon happens all over the world, Hou Jialei. But wherever it happens, one can't use that as an excuse for it to also happen in one's own country. Wherever it happens, it is wrong! So, the Americans must deal with it, the South Africans, the Chinese, etc! You are also correct in that cheating and plagiarism are both shameful behaviour. Funny though, despite that, students still engage in it! Maybe it is because many of them never gets caught, and of course, plagiarism is difficult to proof and many know they would get away with that. But your last sentence is laying the finger on the biggest problem ... our moral character. If society is rotten inside, we'll see it in phenomenon like cheating and various other dishonest and immoral behaviour. Change must come from within, from our hearts.

• Yes now days there are more and more cheating and plagiarism in schools.In my opinion i do not like that.Thought it is beacom a commen thing . But if all of us do that and can not realiz the bad influence .We will do not bileve any other .And aways complain no one can understand us .So we should try our best to not to cheating and plagiarism .
    • So, why is this phenomenon becoming a common thing, Lily? What is it that people (not only students) don't care any longer to be dishonest and then cheat and commit plagiarism? Does the problem not lie in society, or or is there even a deeper cause? I am wondering about this.

• when I read the arlticle,I'm very angry about this phenomenon.Even if this phenomenon is very general, but I can't accept it .Cheating and plagiarism is becoming more common and that also happened around me, some of my classmate usually do that to get high marks.They told me how to get the achievement isn't important for us,but I can't disagree with.In my opinion,anything need to obtain,we shouldn't steal other people's achievement. So I appeal to people in the society put an end to this practice and punish the person who cheat other serriously.For exemple we catch student who is cheating,we must give him zore and give him a serious warning.we alreadly lack of honest and we must find a way to regain it.we also judge a book on it cover,So lie appeared.Thus when we face the cheating,we should distiguish between right and wrong.
    The news is about a film celled force awakens.the film is about star wars whose director is jj abrams.
    • Are you sure severe punishments would help to eradicate this ugly phenomenon among students, Zhang Tianjiao? Where do the students get these ideas from that cheating and plagiarism can help them to get not only better scores, but get them ahead in life? Surely they must have learned it somewhere? Do we look at the right places for the motives? I am not so sure! And how do we distinguish between what is right and what is wrong? Have we learned to do that? We have many questions to answer in class tomorrow! :)

• It's a greatly common phenomenon of cheating and plagiarism in schools,which i totally disapprove and contempt.With the aim of getting better fruit,someone may choose to cheat or plagiarize reluctantly or readily.But for whatever reason,we should stick to the substantial view that to be honesty,not only in schools,but also in the life.Making enough efforts,you'll gain what you want without cheating and plagiarism.
This reply was deleted.