Week 13b: Friday, 5 December 2014

(1) Students, pse remember to LISTEN and prepare Tara's News! You don't have to comment on the news.

(2) Mini-debate: Cheating and plagiarism in schools

We'll read an article about this phenomenon, learn some vocab, discuss some questions in pairs, and then enter into different debates about the question of cheating. Student have to read the worksheet before commenting.

M - W13b - Mini debates - Cheating.pdf

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Huo Meng, I believe you that you wouldn't cheat in an exam. Cheating upsets me too. Question is, however, how to stop that? Would it help to teach the students about the Chinese traditional virtue of honesty ...? I doubt that! I believe it should start at the top ... When the students see the leaders and educators (parents, teachers, etc) start changing their views about honesty and start living what they believe, they would automatically follow the example ... as they are now following the example ... You can tell me tomorrow whether you agree or not. ;-)

• In our university, at the time of the examination, if it is found that the phenomenon of plagiarism, will be recorded in the individual files, and students were expelled from the room.
    I think that cheating is a very bad, because that is not honest.You copy the knowledge also does not belong to you, the only truly understand the knowledge is belong to you.As a college student, we should learn more knowledge to enrich ourselves, this is the most important.
    • The solution is, Hong Jingjing, that everyone works hard and give an account of their own knowledge. But the reality is, of course, that many students don't want to work hard any longer; but they still want the good marks! My question, however, are the students really to blame for this phenomenon ...? Think about it. ;-)

• Nowadays, there are more and more case of plagiarism in Chinese colleges.The first one reason is that so many colleges consider the number of exams to be very important. Besides,the development of Internet makes it easy to get others' theses.As a result, common people lose confidence in those scholars. For instance,several months ago a report says the total number of Chinese theses is ranked the second in the world, but too many people don't believe the quality of those theses.It is high time that something were done about this problem. On the one hand, colleges shouldn't uate someone solely by the number of his or her exams. The quality is more important. On the other hand, we should strengthen morality education, helping more people know more clearly that honesty is a Chinese traditional virtue. All these measures will certainly reduce the number of academic
    plagiarism.
    • Tiffany, another surprise to me! And this one is a good comment too; thank you! Yes, I am also aware of the fact that the world doesn't have high regard for the quality of Chinese work. And not because the world doesn't like China; but because of China's own fault, as you rightly pointed out. China should stop accusing the world of everything that goes wrong inside China and start searching her own heart ... She may be shocked with what she would find there ... ;-)

Two other things you mentioned that I have to highlight, is firstly, moral education: That is a good place to start to eradicate this ugly phenomenon. I believe the current education system is designed to encourage cheating and plagiarism. No emphasis is ever being placed on good morals. And secondly, you said, "honesty is a traditional Chinese virtue" ... I heard that before. But do you know what? After 5 years in China, I am still shocked when I hear that, because what I experience here, is very far from that! China has a number of other good values too; but one never sees it as people have forgotten to live it (or do not know about it). If China will start living that traditional virtue of honesty, the phenomenon of cheating and plagiarism would disappear and even the world would start trusting China ... Really. ;-)

• I have already read the worksheet,there is few new words in it but i also look them up in the dictionary.This article really touched my heart.Because cheating is becoming more and more common among the students.During the examination,i can always see this phenomenon,which make me feel unhappy.
    Maybe it is because of the pressure from their parents.But i don not think that is the reason,i think it is a bad behaviour.Even though you have good marks,it is not belong to you.What we need to do is just believe we can make it.
    • I agree, Yao Zengjun, that the unreasonable pressure from parents is a contributor to the cheating as students need to satisfy their parents. But if they work hard themselves, maybe cheating wouldn't be necessary?! Bad behaviour ...? Maybe. But I think the reasons for this epidemic lie much deeper in society. Maybe some of your classmates will tell us tomorrow ... ;-)

• As the survey shows,the quality of students cheating in schools is getting higher and higher.I can see the situation around me.Many students want to make better scores in order to be permitted into an excellent university.But they can not be successful by themselves.So they choose a terrible way to make it.That is cheating and plagiarism in school.This is a wrong way.We must ban students from cheating in school.First of all,we must change their view on cheating in school.At present,some students still think this is a valid way.They don't find it wrong.We must correct this view.
    • Ying Haiyang, I don't really think the problem lies with the students. If the leaders and authorities set a better example in society and stop cheating and being corrupt themselves, the students would notice that and follow that example. Today's students just follow the examples set for them. Have you ever thought about that? ;-)

• Cheating and plagiarism in schools is a bad behavior. But at the present, many of students are cheating when they doing a test . They think is a good way for them to achieve high marks. But in my opinion, being honest is more important than getting good marks. And when they are cheating and plagiarism , They won't put their mind to learn, their skills and creativity also cannot be developed. So I think students should have a good State of mind , they should have a good understanding in marks and behavior. And school can help students to establish a good attitude about the cheat and plagiarism.
This reply was deleted.