Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I felt completely immersed is devote oneself heart and soul to do one thing, the influence is not affected by other things completely immersed in the world inside. I think for learning other languages completely immersion is a very good method. I think in this state of their native language and learning other language, is very difficult to be completely immersed. Because you will receive the influence of many factors such as side, learning English in China, to be completely immersed ignore our environment, forget your own native language is impossible for many people.
    • Fang Xue, so nice to see that you are back with us! I am happy when I see you here, because I have a soft spot in my heart for you (I know you didn't know that as it doesn't look like it in class, right?! But it's true!) and I am glad you are part of our class! Well, I agree with you if you mean that "complete immersion" is a difficult method to learn English. It is also true that if one is not completely immersed into this method (and what it includes), it can also not work well. It can therefore not work in China as one needs a complete English language environment for it to be successful. Hope you will be back in class tomorrow! ;-)

• I think complete immersion in something could make you concentrate all on the things ,and then ,you will gain more .So complete immersion in learning a languuage is the same.If you are learning a language ,and complete immersion in it ,you learn the language by your heart,and you will learn it well. I think it is possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country.The best way is speaking English with your classmates ,your roommates.You can appoint with each others that speaking English as possible as you can .I think the reason why our English is so poor just because we dont practice more.If in our spare time,we can practice our English and complete in it ,I think our English will improve soon.
    About the role plays ,if I organize homestays,I will ask the students some questions like"What kind of homestays do you like ?""Do you want to raise pets?" "What size the room do you want to live"and so on .If I am the students who want to stay with a host family ,I will provide information as much as possible to find a most suitable host family.
    • Sorry Amy, I can't agree with you that one can get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" if one doesn't leave one's own country for the other country whose language you want to learn! Are you sure?! How would you ensure that your friends would speak English to you?! How many Chinese students have such a satisfactory command of English that they can, and would like to, speak to you in that language?! It may work in other countries, but not in China! It wouldn't even work in Beijing or Shanghai where there are many foreigners as anywhere you go, Chinese people would still speak Chinese! I am not convinced that you are right! ;-)

Btw Amy, how is Helen doing lately? Is she okay now? I sent her a text msg over the weekend to find out, but the msg was returned, undelivered. Is her phone out of order? I guess I will get an answer tomorrow ..

• As far as I'm concerned,'complete immersion' means putting something blend into one's life.Just like it's the part of life or it's the whole life,that's the reason why homestays is a good way to learn a kind of language,if we live in a host family,we have to communicate with them in their own language,we have to be brave to speak and be carefull to listen,we are surrouded by the atmosphere of that language,we are both living and learning,and lost in the culture of their country,but if we live with native friends,we can't help speaking native language when we don't need to speak foreign language,two ways have totally diffrent effects I believe.
    As for the role plays,I think if I were student B,I will be responsible to the students who go abroad to learning,and give them the most complete and true information,because when they leave their own country,they are proved to be brave, I must ensure they have a comfortable enviornment to study and have a new life.
    • Yes, that is true, Li Yaze, that "complete immersion" wouldn't be what it is supposed to be if one has some native speakers around you as you would then tend to speak your native language. So, "complete immersion" becomes more and more difficult for Chinese students as there are so many Chinese students studying all over the world in the English-speaking countries. But most of them live in dormitories, or their own private apartments; so, I guess it can still work if one can stay away from them! That would however not be easy, because in the beginning one would tend to mix with one's own countrymen as you are often quite lonely. So, "complete immersion" requires much sacrifice from a student if they want it to be successful.

• In my opinion,immersion is a kind of sirit that you are favor of something.It is turely everybody 's enjoyment. It's a good way to improve English.if I am immersed in learning English,I suppose my English will be very excellent !And going into an English speaking country have the same effect.Because environment have an effect on ourselves.But not everyone have the chance to study . Most of us could not affod the expensive cost.By comparison , I will prefer immersion in something.
    speeds.it
    • You are right that it is a very effective method to master the English language in a relatively short time, Wu Ting, but apart from the cost to keep students from doing it, it is also not an easy way. I don't think many students can do that; but, of course, if one is determined to make a success of it, I think you can. Nothing is impossible!

• If you" complete immersion".Whatever you have tried to do in your life, you have tried with all your heart to do it well.Like you want to learn a foreign language, must be totally immersed in the language, you can learn it well.I think it is possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country.Because when you are totally immersed in a foreign language, you will be able to learn some knowledge, but when you go to a foreign country, you can personally to learn some of the local habit of speaking, and to understand the local culture, and your daily life in such an environment, also can better help you to learn a language.
    • Hong Jingjing, you explained exactly what "complete immersion" is in the last half of your comment. So, then I don't understand how you can say that it can work (getting the benefits) without going to an English-speaking country! I can't see how one can get the same benefits if you stay in your home country and 100% of the people around you speak your mother tongue (and you too!) and you hear only English - if you are lucky - once or twice a week in the classroom (most Chinese students don't even have foreign English teachers). You can tell me in class tomorrow how one can get the same benefits of "complete immersion" without going to "immerse" oneself in an English country in the English language and culture! :)

Btw, are you still looking after little Fang Xue ...? If yes, then pse ask her when she is going to do her comment, and maybe you can even give her some advice ..! Thank you. ;-)

This reply was deleted.