Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To the question 2,i think it has the most important reason which has the enviroment for the learners to study english.This is a comprehensive learn which is not only for one aspect such as listening but for all including listening、oral、reading and so on.Meanwhile,the English-speaking enviroment will also effectively push leaners to learn ehglish,or they can't live there.For they need to talk.They should say it out if they need something or have some trouble.In a word,it is a real challenge but also a good opportunity to learn english.
    To the question 3, my answer is "NO".Because whatever form it is without going to ehglish country,it will only means "learn"for us but “life” in there.
    http://trouble.In/
    See related links to what you are looking for.
    • You understanding of the concept of "complete immersion" is very correct, Yang Xiaoyan. And you are right too about it being a real challenge as it is not easy (specially in the beginning when you are unsure of yourself and everything around you is strange, etc); but, it is probably the most effective way learning another language. It can therefore not work in one's own country as the environment around you should be that where the target language is spoken by everyone.

• 1、complete attention; intense mental effort
    2、 a form of baptism in which all of a person's body is submerged
    3、 the act of wetting something by submerging it completely.
    The individualized approach lets the students understand its national the local conditions and social customs ﹑ history and so on.They can have more opportunities there to practice what they have learned.It is hard to master set phrases and expressions the people who are learning English.
    Complete immersion is a constructive way you can tackle the problem.
    There is no way can replace it to help learners more.But many people don't have this chance.They also can speak English very well.Watching the diglossia movies is a good way which could promote us listening and speaking ability.But if you want to learn authentic English phrases,the beast way is that you should be sure to talk to locals as much as possible.
    learned.it
    This domain may be for sale!
    • Shelly, when you quote something which is not your own thoughts, you always have to quote the source too! So, your three points about the meaning of "complete immersion" (I guess that is what it is) are coming from somewhere, maybe a dictionary. You can then say ... "according to a dictionary (and if you know the name, you may even mention that), this is the meaning ...", or mention the points and thereafter mention the source. As it is now, it looks like it was your own great invention to explain the words! Okay, it doesn't matter in China ... but aren't you on your way to explore the world?! ;-)

Oh yes, I agree that this concept is a constructive (and very effective) way of learning English (the "problem" you mentioned!). But unfortunately, as you also mentioned, not many have the opportunity to do that (probably because of the costs involved). However, going abroad and study in such an environment is surely the best way of learning authentic English. We (the foreign teachers) can't teach you how to do that; it can only take place in a completely English environment. Btw, what is "diglossia" movies?! Even the spellchecker here on this website indicates that something is wrong with that word! ;-)

• As far as i am concerned,complete immersion means the condition of someone being buried in something that he or she is totally interested.Only in this way can you take all your energy to fulfill your target.I think it's impossible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English speaking country,because the atmosphere of English speaking is very important for English learning,without such environment,you csn't practice your oral English and learn really English.
    • Jiang Dan, I'm not sure that your understanding of "complete immersion" is totally correct. While it is true that it can't work if you are not in an English-speaking country (if that is the language you want to learn), it isn't just about being buried into something that interests you. If that is correct, it should work in non-English speaking countries too. The question is about the place where you 'bury' yourself into something interesting to you, and what is the purpose of doing that.

• In my hart "complete immersion'means that when we do some thing we will only do that thing .Do not observe any other thing .It is a good way to learn language,just like if youwant to do something ,the most you put you attention the less time you will make .I thingk it is possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country .Bcause not everyone have the chance to go to an English-speaking country .But there are many person who do not come from english cuntry also speak englishi verey good.
    • Lily, if you think this concept of learning English can work in a non-English speaking country like China, then you need to re-think your idea about "complete immersion"! Even if there are many English speakers in China, it would still not work as no Chinese person would speak English to you (except maybe in the oral English class!) and you would speak Chinese to every other Chinese person. Then it is surely not "complete immersion" any longer!

• As far as I am concerned,complete immersion means you do something wholeheartedly,you just try your best to do it faultlessly and don't think other things.Yes ,it's a good way to learn a language,because it means you will try your best and you will be industrious,it't means you will overcome all difficulties and you must be succeed finally.. I think it is impossible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country.I think in English-speaking countries ,there will have an atmosphere for you ,what made you have to practise yor English all the time.
    • Huo Meng, you were missed in class last week; so, it will be nice to see you back! How do I know? Oh, because the teacher missed you too! About your understanding of the lesson, it is clear you know what it is about. Yes, the atmosphere would be so important as everything around you would be happening in English. It can only work in China if the person wants to learn Chinese ..! ;-)

This reply was deleted.