Week 13a: Monday, 1 December 2014

(1) Video lesson continue: Encounters in the UK

We'll complete Activities 3, 4 and 5 of this lesson. In Activity 5, three questions will be discussed. Students can answer questions 2 and 3 in their comment to this lesson. I repeat the questions here:

1. What is "complete immersion"?

2. Why is it seen as such a good way to learn a language?

3. Is it possible to get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" without going to an English-speaking country? If so, how? If not, why not?

(2) Activity 6: Role plays:Role plays in pairs: Student A is planning to study abroad in the UK and stay with a host family. Student B works for the company that organizes homestays. B will interview A in order to get all the information needed to place the applicant with a suitable host family. A answers the questions and explains what their requirements for their ideal host family would be like.

You need to be a member of MyEnglishClub to add comments!

Join MyEnglishClub

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  The role play I am British students, after watching the film I think there are many stories to share. First is to live in the UK residents home, you can enjoy the food, with life habit, the fastest in unfamiliar surroundings. Second, live in the home, local residents can have a good language environment, the fastest to help you learn English well. I think it is very helpful for international students.  
    • Yes Cai Huibin, this is surely the most effective way to learn another language, though not always easy as some international students would find it very difficult especially where their country wasn't always used to having foreigners as part of society (like in China and other Asian countries). But if one can do it, the results would show one day, not only in having mastered the language, but also in maturity and wisdom you have gained. :)

• First in my view, complete immersion is to adapt to the environment you first get in completely,for example,when a Chinese student come to England first time,but he can do his daily envent in just a short time.When we learn language,if we know their culture first and there are a lot of people who stay beside you say the same language,you can learn it well not only for the exam but also the acccent and the tune and so on.Our students need to learn English in this way,although,we can't all go for abroad,we can always go to the English corner,and always practie our English with our friends. When it comes to the role plays,I enjoy it very much,I like simulate the little plays,and think myself as the one who I act,and I prefer to be Student B if I can,because I think the role seems need to be polite when working,and I like this kind of roles.That's all.
    • That is correct, Katrina, that "complete immersion" as method to learn English can only work in an English-speaking country as one is then surrounded by the English environment where everyone speaks English and thinks English (and eat English food and sleep on English beds ...!). Some people are against the method as they say one can lose your cultural heritage as you get so immersed in the other culture (they even say that to prevent English to be taught here). But of course, that is not true. When one grows up in one culture, that culture becomes so much part of one that nothing can change it (except where one decides deliberately that one wants to accept another culture as your new culture). And if there is any truth in that, it can't be a good culture that can so easily be influenced by another culture! Complete immersion is just a very effective English-learning method; nothing more. ;-)

• In my opion.Complete immersion is such a good way to learn a new language for one person.It means you must put your heart and soul to a new environment.Every new person and new things will make you feel different and think morebecause you are immersed in it.Thus your English skill may be improved unexpectly(Just as it says in this video"Someday when you wake up in the morning.You will feel something had changed").I think if you want get some of the benefits of "complete immersion" you must going to an English-speaking country? Because just in an English-speaking country can we get more improve about English .All things around you is about English.Your mind will can't help attacking every things to English.And the aim of improve English is achived.
    PERSON.IT
    • Yes, that's why it is referred to as "complete immersion", Kay, as everyone around you then speaks the language you want to learn. So, you have no choice than learning the language. Not an easy method, but very effective.

• In my opinion,complete immersion may not be a good way to learn English in China.When we are in foreign country,we should be accustomed to the atmosphere.We should learn from local people.When people live in UK,most of people around us speak in english You can just speaking the language that you want to learn and trying to use the way that the local people use to think.I think if we can go to an english speaking country ,we can get more benefits.That is all
    • I agree with you, Wang Xiaoxu. Complete immersion can only work in China if one wants to learn the Chinese language! But it can't work for me as I have students around me who can speak some English and they usually help me out of trouble!

• I think "complete immersion" means who are in a homestay totally join the family and be a family member of the home.And I also think it is a good way to learn a language.Because in that way you must put yourself in the environment which full of the language you are learning,it makes you say and learn and receive the language all the time,so it absolutely can improve you language skills.

• It looks like your understanding of the concept is correct, Guo Hongtai. Of course one doesn't only have to do a homestay with a local family to experience "complete immersion". Even if one stays in a dormitory or your own apartment, it can work - as long as all the people around you speak the language you want to learn.

Btw, I'm looking forward to today's class again and hope you and your two friends wouldn't disappoint us again like last week ...!

This reply was deleted.